PDA

View Full Version : The Mentality of some people

melanieb3
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
So my husband scored a spring clean up for a small putt putt. We're new to giving bids so we went and he looked at the place and said, "It'd probably take two guys two days to do this job" So then he said it would probably be about a $500.00 job, but to be sure he got the job, he would bid it at $300.00. He said he could do the job in one day if he worked REALLY fast.

So he talked with the owner and quoted him $300.00. The guy was happy with the quote and gave him the go ahead to do the job. The next day he went and did the job. When he finished he saw some other things that maybe he could do for them and asked me to call them.

So I call and the wife was like. "We paid your husband to work about a 30 hour job and he only worked for about 8 hours so we think you need to change your price" I was like WHAT? She has been having ppl clean this VERY small course for years and knows how much she pays every year and I'm sure it's not under $300. But she thought that since he did it in only 8 hours, she should NOT have to pay him $300.00.

What!?! At any rate...we went back and forth and I explained that this is a business that has insurance and licenses, which she didn't seem to care about...but that if she wanted to pay someone by the hour, that our company is NOT what she needs and to please look for someone else for the rest of her jobs.

the only problem is, she knows A LOT of people and TALKS a LOT of crap. I am just praying that she doesn't bad talk us to other people and hurt our business...but there was no way I was gonna send my husband to do other jobs for her for $10 an hour...she's crazy.

She needs some kid who can do it for her adn do a crappy job..because he did an EXCELLENT job and it was super clean when he left.

I'm sure we're gonna get this a lot more..but it kinda really threw me off guard. This lady is a member of my church..and I'm learning that probably I shouldn't work for members of my church because I don't want any bad feelings between me and anybody..especially them.

But, we also learned that we should have everything in writing,like a formal bid for anyone we do work for and have them sign it BEFORE we do the job so there won't be any confusion.

She also tried to change the story as to what we talked about blah blah blah. I straightened that up real quick. I was never rude or ugly to her..but I was NOT gonna back down.

He ended up working 9 hours on that job with NO breaks and he only got $300.00. He should have asked for more!

terrapro
03-06-2009, 01:42 PM
9hrs with 2 guys= 18 labor hours= $810 plus debris removal if hauled off site

if you thought it was going to take 30hrs it should have been bid appropriately in the first place, $1350 for labor. that is based off of my hourly labor rate of $45 here in MI.

good luck next bid :usflag:

punt66
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Yea your bids are way off.

SimonCX
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Take it as a lesson learned, it happens to everyone. They probably though that you are new and whated to take advantage of that. Also when you bid don't tell them how much time you think it's going to take, it solves alot of these problems.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Ouch thats a bummer

grandview (2006)
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Correct. Never give hours to complete the job. People don't take into account drive time or the time to dump debris.

melanieb3
03-06-2009, 06:21 PM
He didn't tell them how long it would take. The hours mentioned are what he and I were discussing. They were just looking for cheap laborers not someone who has a legit business. They wanted to pay someone $10/hr....that is where he was getting his price. He said if they were to pay two people, it would have taken about 30 hours total to do the job at $10/hr then it would be $300 and that would just be his pay for the day. He was wanting to charge more like $500.00 but he was trying to do them a favor because they go to our church. Which he SHOULD NOT start doing b/c that's just a trend of getting no money...but at any rate...

The thing is, they were assuming it would take about 30 hours and that $300.00 would be reasonable to pay. So, my husband said, just pat me the $300.00 and I'll do the job. Simple, and he really thought he would do it in more like 6 hours, but it ended up taking 9. But they were upset that he didn't take 30 hours to do the job and they still had to pay the $300.00.

Whatever...we're still learning how to make bids and I am learning.....EVERYTHING! I'm just the secretary....I plan to get out there with him during the summer some when I can get away from home (we have 4 kids and the oldest is 4). That way I can learn more about making bids and then maybe I can be the one to give bids or something. We're still trying to figure it all out. I just know that I wanna learn and I really like driving those zero turns...I'm getting better at it, practicing on our yard! lol.

But he's been doing lawn care for ever! Since he was a kid. His dad has a farm as well. And he's done it for another company for about 6 years and now we've decided to go out on our own.

So, it's gonna be a learning season for us and hopefully we'll be better at it for next season.

melanieb3
03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
oh and by the way, he didn't have to remove the debris, they told him to put it outside the gate and they would get rid of it. it was a HUGE mountain!

topsites
03-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Right, but if they wanted $10 an hour guys why weren't they looking for them instead?

8 hours for 300 is a nice price, evidently they liked it enough to jump on it!

The thing that gets me, is I catch most of that kind of crap from other business owners,
as if they didn't know any better, or as if they deserve special treatment...
Boy I would've said some things to that lady, my blood gets boiling just now....

So I think you were polite and civil and that's what counts.

greendoctor
03-07-2009, 12:57 AM
I set my price high enough to scare away the cheap. I would lose it if someone had a problem with my fee after I put heart, soul and probably some very expensive materials not otherwise available to the general public into a job.:gunsfirin I do lots of shrub and bed maintenance, specializing in nutrient and pest management. I never separate labor and materials. It is one flat fee. I also do not ever give estimates as to how long. Should that question come up in the interview, I thank them for giving me the opportunity and drive away. Someone who asks that raises lots of red flags with me. They are trying to bargain me down. I am selling high quality detail maintenance. Do not anyone dare mistake me for Jose with his hedge trimmer who will work for $25 an hour.

melanieb3
03-07-2009, 08:25 AM
well, we never told them how long it would take. I had to explain that to her after the fact. I just don't get why they think that since he worked harder than someone would do it hourly and got it done faster, why he should get paid less...

At any rate, although his name is NOT Jose, it is Nefi and yes, my husband is from Mexico. But our business is legit and has all the insurance and licenses needed.

I just hate that since he is Mexican other people think that they can get one over on him...That's where I step in and push them off that high horse!

Carolina Cuts
03-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Don't let this experience 'scare' you...
bid accordingly, and don't sweat 'her' giving you guys a bad rep. (chances are, if she acted like this to you, then others already know she's a PITA)
You gave a price, he did the work. Done. Next!

Did you get paid yet?

NewLeaf
03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm sure your husband takes pride in his work, If he gives quality workmanship he should get paid for it. If someone wants to pay $10.00 per hour they should go & get some day laborers & supply all the tools & supplies themselves. There is a calculated way to determine you hourly operating cost on one of these threads. Don't let these types of people walk all over you stand strong by your work, you & only you know what your time is worth. In these troubled times its going to be hard to find new business that is willing to pay top prices so there will haven't to be some compromise, but you know were that line is! Good luck!

White Gardens
03-07-2009, 12:42 PM
If you think that your husband's ethnicity is going to inhibit your biz, then you should think about becoming the face for the biz, and doing all the sales work.

It's unfortunate that there will always be customers out there who are going to be prejudice, especially in LCO work.

melanieb3
03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
If you think that your husband's ethnicity is going to inhibit your biz, then you should think about becoming the face for the biz, and doing all the sales work.

It's unfortunate that there will always be customers out there who are going to be prejudice, especially in LCO work.

This is very true and we have already made that be. Which is why the lady complained to me. Everything has my name on it as well so when something happens, I am there.

I have had a complaint from one guy that was hard of hearing and older say he didn't speak english very well...but that's not the case. He does have a thick spanish accent, but he speaks English very well. I think he just couldn't make it out because of his accent and the guy not being able to hear.

But at any rate...those who already know my husband's work are happy with the job he does and are happy to pay his prices.

I had a feeling in the beginning that they just wanted cheap labor. Next time I'll go with my gut and give them the full price and then they can just go elsewhere

NewLeaf
03-07-2009, 03:29 PM
It's sad that in this day & age people are still being judged by there color, instead of there character.