PDA

View Full Version : 30 second commercial - what would you say?

bcg
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
We're considering doing a 30 second web spot with out local ABC affiliate (it's a feebie for a 9 month online "print" ad commitment). If you were to do one, what would you say? I don't want it to sound like and advertisement, but rather be something informative for people.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
We're considering doing a 30 second web spot with out local ABC affiliate (it's a feebie for a 9 month online "print" ad commitment). If you were to do one, what would you say? I don't want it to sound like and advertisement, but rather be something informative for people.

I like to make the point about hiring the company that has been around for a long time, knows what they are doing, instead of the cheaper guy who does it for beer money. But that might not be too good for a video commercial.

talk about water conservation. preventing runoff. system efficiency. And why Texas is better than the other 49 states :) (had to get that one in)

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Make sure to show a shot of all those open trenches while everyone waits for the inspector.
The Jeopardy theme music would work for that. :hammerhead:

bcg
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Actually, in my part of the state, nothing has changed yet. Still no permits required in most of the county. Even in the Houston city limits, you only need to pull a permit for the cross connect and they still aren't requiring designs to issue them, just pay the fee. While most of the state cares about water conservation, around Houston we get a LOT of rain (usually) and nobody here seems to give a rat's butt...yet. Some of the MUDs are starting to make noise like they're going to take advantage of their new authority but so far, it's still business as usual.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I would do something like a guy struggling pulling hoses around , then a flash to his neihbors green lawn while he sits in a lawn chair enjoying his family.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I would do something like a guy struggling pulling hoses around , then a flash to his neihbors green lawn while he sits in a lawn chair enjoying his family.

That sounds good. The bad economy will cut short or eliminate vacations for many........they might be more willing to put a little $$ in their yards and spend more time at home making it nicer.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 02:52 PM
"References over three years old, gladly."

Stuttering Stan
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Tell people that you are out of work, homeless, and hungry. Show your family with some dirt on their face, ragged clothes, and a penny cup. Here's a slogan
"Will do spring start-ups for food".

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Tell people that you are out of work, homeless, and hungry. Show your family with some dirt on their face, ragged clothes, and a penny cup. Here's a slogan
"Will do spring start-ups for food".

Argos has been milking that for years.

Tom Tom
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking tough times call for tough tactics
...........to bring the hope and joy and change back to people's lives..........

Imagine several scantily clad bikini models frolicking about
the lawn as each and every zone is started, inspected, and fine tuned
for ultimate enjoyment, oops I mean efficiency...........

irritation
03-06-2009, 03:38 PM
...........to bring the hope and joy and change back to people's lives..........

Yes, we all know every head must be checked for proper adjustment... which means bending over multiple times.... go for a 10 minute commercial... at least.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Not a bad idea. :clapping:

Isn't there a lawn company in Fla that uses all girls in bikinis to cut grass?

A little sweat and dirt on them would make them look real good.:weightlifter:

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Show yourself shaking hands with a satisfied customer while the sprinkler system is running in the background. Never under estimate the power of a handshake in TX. Maybe even do it in slow motion with MPs in the background. Have the wife standing next to the husband holding their kid looking at you like you have just made her day. Avoid educating and go for symbolism. Avoid name brands and go for concepts.

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
I always advocate the high-concept approach.

"I like it.......... wet."
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6689/1234579683506.jpg

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Oooohhhh.... they can frolic through a zone of MP Rotators. Very good idea.

EagleLandscape
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
be sure to be holding your RAIN MASTER REMOTE

I got caught dead with mine today. Battery died, 4 jobs, no remote = bad day.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 07:21 AM
No back up batteries in the glove cpmpartment?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 07:38 AM
No back up batteries in the glove cpmpartment?

It's a weird hard to find battery and runs close to 20 bucks. Well worth having a backup though. You get lulled by the fact it lasts 6 months.

John don't forget EVS supply for your battery stuff. Did Henry tell you about the antique he found? He was so excited about finding a system older than any I had worked on he called to rub it in. A "MUNZ" popup. Sent me a txt telling me that SMU has a ten page manual on the MUNZ METHOD OF LANDSCAPE IRRIGATION circa 1930 and later applied for a patent in 1937 for a low gallonage spray head.

Found the patents this one from 1937

United States Patent 3586239

Abstract:
An irrigation spray unit for use in irrigation and designed to ensure a low range spray of water therefrom with a low rate of supply unit being adapted to be coupled to an irrigation feed pipe in which the water flows at supply mains pressure, the unit serving to reduce the supply pressure to a very low level and to divide the incoming stream into a plurality of outflowing low range sprays.

and one from 1933

United States Patent 3719327

Abstract:
A drip irrigation nozzle having pressure regulating and self-cleaning characteristics. The nozzle includes a resilient closure member which in a flow limiting position partially blocks the nozzle metering orifice in proportion to the pressure of the supplied fluid. The nozzle discharge or "drip" rate thus is substantially independent of fluid supply pressure. When the irrigation fluid is turned on or off, the transient burst of fluid past the closure member cleans debris from the nozzle.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 07:50 AM
What battery does it take?

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 07:52 AM
ahh , the rtc just takes AA

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 07:54 AM

??? do you mean the TRC? What's the rtc? My TRCs take 9volts.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 07:56 AM

I'd rather have a battery that lasts 6+ months. The TRC 9 volt needs to be replaced every month.

Boots it uses a CR-P2 6 volt lithium

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 07:58 AM
??? do you mean the TRC? What's the rtc? My TRCs take 9volts.

Now that I think about it , your correct. Meant RCT remote control technologies.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 07:59 AM
I'd rather have a battery that lasts 6+ months. The TRC 9 volt needs to be replaced every month.

Boots it uses a CR-P2 6 volt lithium

Yes but there is always at least a dozen 9 volts in each truck. Same bat that controllers take.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Buy those batteries on eBay, maybe - Look here (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Varta-CR-P2-Photo-Lithium-Battery-223-6-volt_W0QQitemZ180332395081QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBatteries_Chargers?hash=item180332395081&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Yes but there is always at least a dozen 9 volts in each truck. Same bat that controllers take.

And if you run out, the gas station or 7-11 down the road carries them.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Buy those batteries on eBay, maybe - Look here (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Varta-CR-P2-Photo-Lithium-Battery-223-6-volt_W0QQitemZ180332395081QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBatteries_Chargers?hash=item180332395081&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

Thank you BOOTS.

John I bought all 6 the guy had available. Get with me and we'll parcel out.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 08:06 AM
I buy Duracell procell,s . They are specificaly made to be resold, Even says " not for retail sale on the box"
Buy em for $1.19 , sell em for $3.99 Any good hardware store can order them for you.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I buy Duracell procell,s . They are specificaly made to be resold, Even says " not for retail sale on the box"
Buy em for $1.19 , sell em for $3.99 Any good hardware store can order them for you.

Hmmmmm. gotta look into that. At least when replacing in the controller.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Hopefully those eBay batteries will still be fresh - I know lithium cells have very long life. I'm just sorry I never bought mercury batteries for my old cameras while they were still legal.

I usually use supermarket batteries for the controller backup. You can sometimes get the Kodak brand 9V alkalines for under a buck a pop.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Hopefully those eBay batteries will still be fresh - I know lithium cells have very long life. I'm just sorry I never bought mercury batteries for my old cameras while they were still legal.

In theory lithiums only lose power when being used not in storage but if the last half as long they are still a bargain.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Hmmmmm. gotta look into that. At least when replacing in the controller.

We only put em in The raindials we have still out there. Pro c,s have a place for one but it dosnt do anything. As a Hunter engineer told me " the only reason its there is because people expect to see one , it does nothing" Actualy it does do something , when it dies over th winter it makes the pro c ( older models ) unable to recognize the rain senser.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 08:15 AM
The backups should still retain the time of day, even if they don't have the job of protecting the program anymore.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Out of respect to bcg I thought I would get his topic reposted.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Maybe a quick shot in the background of a clean, lettered up vehicle driving by. or one being used on a jobsite.

Don't give too much info that the viewer gets lost in what you say. A few key points emphasized is better than lots of points barely touched on.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Maybe a quick shot in the background of a clean, lettered up vehicle driving by. or one being used on a jobsite.

Don't give too much info that the viewer gets lost in what you say. A few key points emphasized is better than lots of points barely touched on.

Plush lawn , no work for the homeowner.

bcg
03-07-2009, 08:32 AM

:)

I didn't really expect you guys to stay on topic for more than a page.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 08:42 AM
:)

I didn't really expect you guys to stay on topic for more than a page.

Welcome to the world of ADD

Kiril
03-07-2009, 10:03 AM

Yes, and let me introduce to you Mike ADD Leary and his side kick Boots ADD 3Var

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Look!! Birds!!

Where'd my watch go.

I like blue.

What was the question?

Kiril
03-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I like cheese.

Mike Leary
03-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, and let me introduce to you Mike ADD Leary and his side kick Boots ADD 3Var

Just think how much you'd get done around here without me and Boots.

Kiril
03-07-2009, 10:15 AM

That is the understatement of the year. :cry:

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Without Lawnsite, I just might be an overachieving millionaire. Perish the thought......

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Without Lawnsite, I just might be an overachieving millionaire. Perish the thought......

Thers more to life then money, theres food and puddy.

Tom Tom
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
It's a weird hard to find battery and runs close to 20 bucks. Well worth having a backup though. You get lulled by the fact it lasts 6 months.

I found the battery at target for 10 bucks. walmart and bestbuy did not have them.

Sprinkus
03-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I good idea for a commercial would be to show the competition's workers. Like the stoned technician that stares blankly at the controller, the installer that is so hung over that he falls into the ditch he just dug, the young punk laborer that bounces the pick off of a rock and right into his crotch.
Then you can show how the professionals at your company do the same job more efficiently.

Oh yeah, and bikinis are good too!

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
I good idea for a commercial would be to show the competition's workers. Like the stoned technician that stares blankly at the controller, the installer that is so hung over that he falls into the ditch he just dug, the young punk laborer that bounces the pick off of a rock and right into his crotch.Been watching Rotar's videos, have you? :p