PDA

View Full Version : pricing in NC

melanieb3
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I have posted before, but just to give you an idea...I am a wife who has become a secretary to my husband who has just opened a lawn care business in NC. We're in the process of getting the pest. app license and insurance this week...

My husband has been working outside since he was a young boy..his dad owns a farm. He has worked for another company for about 6 years and now he's decided to go out on his own.

I am doing my research, because I have NO IDEA about anything having to due with the lawn care industry..I just know that my parents used to make me push that stupid lawn mower when it was smoldering hot and I hated it...but now I am actually enjoying cutting our grass on our 60in. ztr.. :)

Those of you in NC. I was just wondering how much you're charging per job...

This is what I can come up with through my research on this site and other local sources...could you please look it over and tell me if I'm going in the right direction...

Mow/blow/edge/weed eat: $60-$70 per man hour

Yard clean up (leaves, branches, debris spring and fall):$45-$65 per man hour

Pine straw installation :$10 per bail

Mulch: haven't searched yet...so I'm not sure gonna have to look around on this site

Fertilizer: not quite sure, but I was told that on an average yard, it would be about $30-$35 plus material. Although me, having no idea...this doesn't help much....I'm gonna have to search this site for more info as well...

Spraying for weeds: $10 per gallon

The hardest part is knowing how much we would use...which my husband should know...In speaking with a friend of mine here in my town who also does lawn care..he gave me some formulas to use when measuring...just haven't used them yet to figure anything out.

I'm sure I'm missing something in this...but at any rate, this is where I'm at...and I have been searching hours and hours on this site and reading up what people have to say about what I need to know...

This site is wonderful and I think you guys/gals who have been in this business for quite some time and are sharing your knowledge are awesome. My thanks in advance for reading and helping me!

I know some say it's not best to look at it per hour and some say it is...so for me...just starting out and trying to figure things out I guess it'd be best to look at it per hour.

I'm thinking that maybe we should just go the 1 dollar per minute in any job we do minus the applications...so it would just be easier for me to figure out...but I don't want to mess anything up.

I still have A LOT to learn...as does my husband (he is now seeing that he does)

melanieb3
03-07-2009, 08:26 AM
any advice out of the state maybe surrounding NC would be appreciated too!

Oh and I just found out all about mulch last night. Spent 3 hours reading that thread and taking notes on all of the replies....

DaughtryLC
03-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Those $ seem about right.

Even in my area it could be different than yours.

It seems that they are sometimes different from county to county!!

It will take some trial and errror but, you will learn quick!!

Mybe more Trial than Error!!, GOOD LUCK for Smithfield!!

JPsDuramax
03-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I have posted before, but just to give you an idea...I am a wife who has become a secretary to my husband who has just opened a lawn care business in NC. We're in the process of getting the pest. app license and insurance this week...

My husband has been working outside since he was a young boy..his dad owns a farm. He has worked for another company for about 6 years and now he's decided to go out on his own.

I am doing my research, because I have NO IDEA about anything having to due with the lawn care industry..I just know that my parents used to make me push that stupid lawn mower when it was smoldering hot and I hated it...but now I am actually enjoying cutting our grass on our 60in. ztr.. :)

Those of you in NC. I was just wondering how much you're charging per job...

This is what I can come up with through my research on this site and other local sources...could you please look it over and tell me if I'm going in the right direction...

Mow/blow/edge/weed eat: $60-$70 per man hour

Yard clean up (leaves, branches, debris spring and fall):$45-$65 per man hour

Pine straw installation :$10 per bail

Mulch: haven't searched yet...so I'm not sure gonna have to look around on this site

Fertilizer: not quite sure, but I was told that on an average yard, it would be about $30-$35 plus material. Although me, having no idea...this doesn't help much....I'm gonna have to search this site for more info as well...

Spraying for weeds: $10 per gallon

The hardest part is knowing how much we would use...which my husband should know...In speaking with a friend of mine here in my town who also does lawn care..he gave me some formulas to use when measuring...just haven't used them yet to figure anything out.

I'm sure I'm missing something in this...but at any rate, this is where I'm at...and I have been searching hours and hours on this site and reading up what people have to say about what I need to know...

This site is wonderful and I think you guys/gals who have been in this business for quite some time and are sharing your knowledge are awesome. My thanks in advance for reading and helping me!

I know some say it's not best to look at it per hour and some say it is...so for me...just starting out and trying to figure things out I guess it'd be best to look at it per hour.

I'm thinking that maybe we should just go the 1 dollar per minute in any job we do minus the applications...so it would just be easier for me to figure out...but I don't want to mess anything up.

I still have A LOT to learn...as does my husband (he is now seeing that he does)

Speaking from GA view, the rates seem high. A bail of pine straw here goes for about $5.50 to $6.00. And thats high:dizzy: As for the weed control, make sure your husband gets his pesticide applicator license. I have done some research for NC but to get some good info do to NC.gov.

For Mulch, I take the price of material and double it. If I have to deliver I add another $50 to $100 for that.

For mow/trim/edge/blow and yard clean up, I would switch your rates. There is more work on the cleanup side. Of course I'm not sure of your overhead so that would be the biggest price factor. If its his first year in business, I would go solo. Solo I can produce $500 to $600 a day and thats just mow/trim/edge/blow. My best day was $1190 in 7 hours. It just depends on how hard he wants to work.

I saw on another posting that you were going to help your husband if you could. That is a great idea. It keeps the money in the family. One day last year I had emergency surgery one night but had projects the next day. I convinced my girlfriend to help me. And she did, I just heard about that one day for the rest of the year:laugh: I told her if I could do it injured, she could surely do it well.

Do some research and you will have things figured out fairly quickly. Hope this helps.

Jim

Carolina Cutter
03-07-2009, 11:39 AM
For mow/trim/edge/blow and yard clean up, I would switch your rates. There is more work on the cleanup side. Of course I'm not sure of your overhead so that would be the biggest price factor. If its his first year in business, I would go solo. Solo I can produce $500 to $600 a day and thats just mow/trim/edge/blow. My best day was $1190 in 7 hours. It just depends on how hard he wants to work.

Jim

I was thinking the other way around as well. While I have not worked in the field in about 2 years, I can PROMISE you that spring and fall cleanup is more work. It is good money, but hard work.

Since your husband knows about the business from working in it, I hope he plans to be legal. If you are going to be in business...be in business...

JP: That is an awesome amount for a solo operator in a day. I did not do that kind of money but I knew it could be done. I am probably going to be back in the business soon and am looking forward to the potential.

JPsDuramax
03-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks! It was days like that that make you want even more. I will be adding a part time guy on this year because I have maxed myself out. I already have contracts that would delgate this. One commercial account is for all 48 sites in the state:weightlifter: Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Plus I just passed my pesticide applicator exam and will be able to perform these services in house. Cannot wait to start:cool2: