PDA

View Full Version : What should my Title be on business cards?

tyler_mott85
03-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Owner/Operator?
President?

I need some help deciding what my title should be on my business card that says that I am the owner and I do the work. Thanks in advance!

EagleGrounds
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I like to use President, it sounds more professional i think

DLAWNS
03-07-2009, 01:39 AM
I put owner/operator on mine

J.R. Services
03-07-2009, 02:12 AM
President makes it sound like a large, impersonal corporation, which I doubt you want to be known as that. Owner/Operator is closer to the facts and sounds like you're an actual human being. my $.02

PMLawns
03-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Yes I agree...."Working Owner" speaks volumes to some. Helps reassure the idea that you are directly involved on the project. I know some small town locals in my area who scoff at the idea that you are there only to "sell" them the job. Later, "your guys" didn't have the same communication, standards, appearance ....whatever the case may be. At times, I have been asked " Are you going to be doing the work"....or "will you be here"? In a time when you have no control over material, product and fuel increases, the only thing you can directly control is the relationship with your clients. Personally, I would reserve "Pres" status until the shoe fits.....just my 2 cents!

elite lawns
03-07-2009, 02:15 AM
I put owner on my business cards.

Carolina Cuts
03-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Owner/Operator

CNYScapes
03-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I dont put a title.

dwight1moore
03-07-2009, 10:14 AM
i just put my business name on mine. dont use my name

LouisianaLawnboy
03-07-2009, 02:14 PM
President makes it sound like a large, impersonal corporation, which I doubt you want to be known as that. Owner/Operator is closer to the facts and sounds like you're an actual human being. my $.02

ditto if you want to put a title.

EagleLandscape
03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
just put Owner

anything else is cheesy. operator dumbs you down.

JB1
03-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I have no need to stroke my ego with a title.

Turboguy
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Technically if you are incorporated then you are the "President". If you are a sole proprietorship then you are the "owner". If you are not a corporatoin you can't be a president. If you are then you can't be an owner as far as titles even though you own all the stock in the corporation . You don't have to put a title on your card if you don't want.

The Elements Group
03-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I have Owner / Horticulturist on mine ...... because i do have a degree in hort

Hoots
03-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Technically if you are incorporated then you are the "President". If you are a sole proprietorship then you are the "owner". If you are not a corporatoin you can't be a president. If you are then you can't be an owner as far as titles even though you own all the stock in the corporation . You don't have to put a title on your card if you don't want.

I agree with turbo, if you are incorporated or have formed an LLC you need to make the distinction of president. To some it is impressive, to others that know what you are doing it simply makes sense. You must separate yourself from your business in that respect. This shows (if it ever comes up) that there is a separate entity, the business, and you are the president.

Ask your attorney why you should make the distinction, its called piercing the corporate veil. You must keep the business apart from personal.

SilverPeakServices
03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
My company is an LLC, so technically I am the President of the company, but like others have said, I think putting that on the card is a little a cheesy. I just put "Owner" on the card. I'll wait until the money we make dictates the honor!

amscapes03
03-07-2009, 09:55 PM
"Owner" when i was a sole prop. "President" when i Incorporated. President still sounds pompous to me, but my attorney said that legally i have to.

terrapro
03-07-2009, 10:32 PM
My company is an LLC, so technically I am the President of the company, but like others have said, I think putting that on the card is a little a cheesy. I just put "Owner" on the card. I'll wait until the money we make dictates the honor!

no, not at all. LLC you are generally a member(owner) or a manager and the LLC treated as a "pass through entity" for tax purposes. Unless you have elected to be treated as an S-corp or c-corp and elected officers you are not the president. if you dont know what im talking about then you are most likely not considered a president.

FourTrees
03-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Oh, Great One!,

or Supreme Leader!,

or Hail the Great Lawn Conqueror,

or Oh Mighty One,

or Master of the Grass,

or

just put your:

Company Name
Your Name
Contact info
Services offered

Not sure people really care if you are the Supreme Mugwump or not.

Turboguy
03-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I agree with Terrapro, if you are an LLC you are technically the owner. An LLC is a company not a corporation.

So, if you are a corporation you are technically the President
If you are a sole proprietorship or an LLC you are technically the owner.
If you are a partnership you are officially a partner until you go out of Business.
If you have no business format, work for cash and don't pay taxes your official title is crook :)

You can have more than one title with a corporation.

If you feel a title like President is pompous you don't need to put any title on your business card. You could also appoint yourself manager and put that on the card if you wanted to show you are the person capable of making decisions but don't want to do that in a pompous way.

In the case of a corporation and in the event of insolvency or other risks using the wrong title on a business card would not be enough in itself to pierce the corporate veil. They are going to look much harder at co-mingling finances but it could be an extra nail in the coffin.

supercuts
03-08-2009, 09:38 AM

agreed, its like all those people that hype up thier professional names, to me it just makes you look like your trying to be something your not

Hoots
03-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok, let us all settle for mediocrity! Just put your name only with no title.

Oh my, I don't want to stand out and be called the owner or president of my company, that would make it look like I was halfway SUCCESSFUL!

Like I said in earlier, to some it is impressive. Sometimes a new customer wants to know who they are talking to and a title of owner or president shows them.

When we set up our LLC we are members but we also were asked to make the distinction of who was president, secretary, and treasurer. Again, the title of president helps to separate you from the company for tax and liability purposes.

If you want to settle for mediocrity, don't put a title to your name and don't talk to people where you need to give them a card for new business.

Jay Ray
03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh, Great One!,

or Supreme Leader!,

or Hail the Great Lawn Conqueror,

or Oh Mighty One,

or Master of the Grass,

or

just put your:

Company Name
Your Name
Contact info
Services offered

Not sure people really care if you are the Supreme Mugwump or not.

Rake dragger and Chief oil spill cleaner

PROCUT1
03-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Mine says "the parking lot guy"