PDA

View Full Version : Computer whiz needed

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 07:22 AM
I no longer have a land line and am trying to do my faxing with a scanner and www.myfax.com. Getting faxes is no problem. Love that part but sending is a problem. For example I needed to initial some documents and fax them back. I have a Brother MFC-7420. The file sizes of scanned documents seems huge and I'm not getting the best way to put them on the computer to allow for multiple page faxing. Bottom line I'm not getting it. Do I scan to IMAGE, or OCR, or FILE? TIFF GIF or JPEG? JPEG seems to create the smallest file. I guess I could send as an e-mail rather than fax. If somebody could be so kind as to explain I'd be greatly appreciative.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 08:06 AM
If they have an email address, definitely go that route.

If you are scanning text documents, I'd think you would turn them into HTML and send them that way.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
If they have an email address, definitely go that route.

I agree with you there but I have to attach each page of a 13 page document. It seems I could just scan as a file and attach the file. Missing something I know but I've learned more stuff here than all my years of computing so I'm sure somebody will guide me.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 08:29 AM
For a presentation, I might turn the text into 'webpage' content by way of adding the proper HTML tags. If these are pages you will be sending on a continuing basis, it will be worth the effort to learn the HTML.

It would also avoid having to use email attachments, which are sometimes never opened, since viruses often attack by way of attachment.

EagleLandscape
03-07-2009, 09:12 AM
see if you can scan to PDF. Saving in black and white, rather than color will drastically reduce the file size.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 09:15 AM
see if you can scan to PDF. Saving in black and white, rather than color will drastically reduce the file size.

That is what I wanted to do but my scan options are file, OCR, or image. I did set the BW feature on. Scanned images are naturally going to be larger files right?

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I know when I'm adjusting and saving photos in PhotoShop, I get asked which quality size I want. The lower the quality, I assume the lower the file size. Lower file size is used for posting on the web most times.

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Peter, I have the exact same Unit from Brother.

Do you have Acrobat Pro?

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Hit the local UPS store , throw the guy a fin and call it sent.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
PDF files would still have to be sent as attachments.

For people with PCs using Windows, you should be able to copy and paste your text into an email, and have it show like webpage content. The Outlook Express program has a "Rich Text Format" that adds HTML tags.

For Macs, I wouldn't know. For everyone, there are HTML Practice Pads (http://www.practiceboard.com/)

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 09:28 AM
MyFax cant read a PDF and convert it and send it?

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, Ive got to go work.

I scan into Adobe Pro, from Adobe pro, create a new PDF. Thence you can edit and change text if you need to, add a sig or initials as a picture, then convert to word if you need text or html or send via pdf. Just my way, not the only way im sure.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 09:42 AM

On a Saturday this early in the season? Good for you. Someone's gotta do it. You install those bad boys yet? Let me know when you do. When you get to programming them, if I'm not busy maybe I'll come up and learn.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 09:54 AM

I scan into Adobe Pro, from Adobe pro, create a new PDF. Thence you can edit and change text if you need to, add a sig or initials as a picture, then convert to word if you need text or html or send via pdf. Just my way, not the only way im sure.

I've got the free version of ADOBE. I tried to scan to ADOBE but it was no go. Maybe I'll look into the PRO version.

Boots this is 13 pages. If it was one I wouldn't have an issue.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 09:58 AM
It doesn't matter how many pages, as long as you take it one page at a time. You scan a page to OCR, and copy and paste the resulting text. Proofread it, of course.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
It doesn't matter how many pages, as long as you take it one page at a time. You scan a page to OCR, and copy and paste the resulting text. Proofread it, of course.

I....Understand......I ........search.........for........faster..........more..........efficient.........method.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Learn to type 200 words a minute. That's faster. If these documents are to be sent more than once, it's worth the manual labor to convert them to HTML. Anything you scan into OCR has to be proofread, and that takes time. In half the time it takes to wonder about all-in-one methods, the 13 pages could be scanned into OCR and inserted into HTML pages.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 10:19 AM
My etch-a-sketch works wonders.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Learn to type 200 words a minute. That's faster. If these documents are to be sent more than once, it's worth the manual labor to convert them to HTML. Anything you scan into OCR has to be proofread, and that takes time. In half the time it takes to wonder about all-in-one methods, the 13 pages could be scanned into OCR and inserted into HTML pages.

I sense anger..........

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I sense anger..........More like reaction to newbie-ness. Objective not completely described. More time posting about "how do I do it really-easy" than it would take to actually complete the task.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 10:39 AM
More like reaction to newbie-ness. Objective not completely described. More time posting about "how do I do it really-easy" than it would take to actually complete the task.

I did complete the task. Just thought I would explore my options and see if I could have done it more efficiently.

I'm sorry I like to learn new things. I'll go back to being a Luddite.
(After I get a new IPhone APP.)

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey, no sweat, but it probably is more useful to master the simple steps of converting documents to email, rather than look for software applications to do it in one step.

Kiril
03-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Use the OCR option Pete.

If you want to scan to a PDF that can be edited you need Acrobat Pro or one of the open source alternatives.

Optionally you can scan to a tiff then compress the living chit out of it.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I sense anger..........

Breathe in.... breathe out.... Breathe in.... breathe out..... drink a beer.... repeat over and over

Sprinkus
03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Ummm, you need a computer wiz or need to take a computer whiz? :confused:

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Ummm, you need a computer wiz or need to take a computer whiz? :confused:Either one will do....

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9250/laptop.jpg

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Ummm, you need a computer wiz or need to take a computer whiz? :confused:

A Freudian slip on my part:o

EagleLandscape
03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
download cutepdf or something that can PRINT to pdf. Or download the version of your scanning software that enables expect to PDF. my trial version of OmniPage did not do pdf, so I just located a source for the pro version that did:)

think outside the box. but try and use one program that does it all, rather than 3 or 4 that makes scanning a nightmare.

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
On a Saturday this early in the season? Good for you. Someone's gotta do it. You install those bad boys yet? Let me know when you do. When you get to programming them, if I'm not busy maybe I'll come up and learn.
Something that we thought could have taken all day... About 1/2 miles of 4 foot wide concrete drainpan under 2 feet of silt and cattails. Took a mini-skid in there with tracks and a bucket, plowed up and down three or four times and shes clean as a whistle. There at 715, home by 11. Good money. Should have taken pics. These retention areas have water constatnly flowing from underground somewhere, free water for whoever wants it. Same neighbrohood, builder had water in freshly dug basements, probably coming from the same table.

Controllers should be in this week. Locates will be complete on Monday, and we're going to trench in the wires on Wed or Thur. Controllers early the following week, perhaps?

We're off to Tucson on Thursday the 19th. I hope to have them in and programmed before we go.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Controllers should be in this week. Locates will be complete on Monday, and we're going to trench in the wires on Wed or Thur. Controllers early the following week, perhaps?

We're off to Tucson on Thursday the 19th. I hope to have them in and programmed before we go.

I could offer most of a days labor if you need it. Be good to learn something on those bigger ones.

Mike Leary
03-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Is that the RM site, Matt?

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Is that the RM site, Matt?
We proposed RM, installing Signature. Still have the RM site, probably will for many years. Dana and Les saw it on our way out of town.

bcg
03-07-2009, 11:43 PM
I have that same all-in-one at the shop. Scan it to a file, that will automatically put it into a PDF. you can play with the options for the defaults. Set it to like 150dpi (I know that seems low but that's what a fax will be anyway), B&W and turn on compression. That should get you down to around 70k per page.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-08-2009, 09:24 AM
I have that same all-in-one at the shop. Scan it to a file, that will automatically put it into a PDF. you can play with the options for the defaults. Set it to like 150dpi (I know that seems low but that's what a fax will be anyway), B&W and turn on compression. That should get you down to around 70k per page.

Thanks seems to be the most doable at my skill level at least. If you have multiple pages you are scanning is their a shortcut to attach them in a computer fax or e-mail without doing each page individually?

I'm assuming I will need the pro version of ADOBE to bastardize the scanned documents.

bcg
03-08-2009, 09:41 AM
If you run them through the document feeder, it'll put all the pages into a single file.

Yes, you'll need a full version of Adobe if you want to do any editing after it's been scanned.

DanaMac
03-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Sign and send by carrier pigeon.