PDA

View Full Version : A dead well

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Property I looked at and am thinking of buying has a well that went dry. It is shallow about 30' and was spring fed at one time. the wells in this area need to be 200' to 400' down. Fractured rock no aquifers. Apparently the well stopped after a big flood in 97. I think it silted up somehow. Anyway I've told this once but repeating now that I have the pics. I wonder (ooops sorry boots) if I can get this flowing again. A drainage creek has a small continuous stream about 20' away and 15' or so below so I know I'm not to far from some water table. You can't drop a drill down without removing the shed roof. I'm envisioning ways I can at least eliminate the possibility of revitalizing this well. It has a 1000 gallon cistern to haul water to. A new well assuming no dry holes will be a minimum of 15,000.

Kiril
03-07-2009, 11:32 AM
What is with all the "warnings"?
Are they warning you not to drink the water? :laugh:

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Look up hydrofracturing.

Kiril
03-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Look up hydrofracturing.

Or hire an army of worms.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Is there a question in here somewhere?

Kiril
03-07-2009, 11:39 AM

I have a lot of questions concerning Boots sanity.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 11:40 AM

I wonder (ooops sorry boots) if I can get this flowing again?

The warnings are for winterizing.

I understand hydro fracturing but read my post a wee more careful. Before I go through the cost of fracturing I'd like to know this well is no good ever again.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 11:42 AM
It probably never was that good. If it was me , I would have a well drill and if that can be revived , use it for irrigation

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
If the well is completely dry, then it qualifies as no good. Did you get a price for augering it deeper? (Roof is disposable, in the larger picture)

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
It probably never was that good. If it was me , I would have a well drill and if that can be revived , use it for irrigation

Won't be any irrigation on this property. That's the house water.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 11:46 AM
If the well is completely dry, then it qualifies as no good. Did you get a price for augering it deeper? (Roof is disposable, in the larger picture)

My thought as well. 8800.00 to drill through the rock to 300' and install a casing. Didn't get a price on drilling the existing again but can't be much of a savings if any.

Have you ever heard of a spring fed well silting up? What if I carefully aimed a missile to travel just under the existing well creating a channel that might cause the spring to flow back into the well? (It takes BALLZ to post something like this)

Kiril
03-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I gotta roto-hammer you can borrow. ;)

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I gotta roto-hammer you can borrow. ;)

I'm thinking along those lines. WHAT IF.... I get an auger, make screw on extensions, keep adding extensions as I go deeper. Won't need to remove the roof.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 11:53 AM
The photo reminds me of an old hand-dug well in someone's back yard, that could have supplied a sprinkler system, if only it could be deepened a few more feet. Don't climb down that ladder without thinking about what you're breathing.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 11:54 AM
The photo reminds me of an old hand-dug well in someone's back yard, that could have supplied a sprinkler system, if only it could be deepened a few more feet. Don't climb down that ladder without thinking about what you're breathing.

What would I be breathing? It's out in the country?

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Bring a canary.

Kiril
03-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking along those lines. WHAT IF.... I get an auger, make screw on extensions, keep adding extensions as I go deeper. Won't need to remove the roof.

Been lurking on the AMS site I see. :)

Tom Tom
03-07-2009, 12:25 PM
What would I be breathing? It's out in the country?

here ya go

http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=57318338-31f4-4d94-aa51-ab4adbd90ffb

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 12:29 PM
When it comes to wells, nothing beats local knoledge.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 12:30 PM
here ya go

http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=57318338-31f4-4d94-aa51-ab4adbd90ffb

Very interesting. That dovetails with my newest favorite quote.

If you find me dead make it look like I was doing something COOL!

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Dont trust these guys , they would pull your pants down and place a banana where it dont belong.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Maybe one of the warnings posted was about not eating beans before climbing down.

Kiril
03-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I still like the warning:

Hello, welcome to your new home.
This is your well and only source of drinking water.
WARNING
Do NOT drink the water.

EagleLandscape
03-07-2009, 01:41 PM
When it comes to wells, nothing beats local knoledge.

glad to "kno"

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Same for small manholes with Commercial water taps here, Pete. We got a utility fan with hose for those situations.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Same for small manholes with Commercial water taps here, Pete. We got a utility fan with hose for those situations.

What's it loom like or what kind? I have a few I have to go in as well, and should get something for them.

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
What's it loom like or what kind? I have a few I have to go in as well, and should get something for them.

http://www.wctproducts.com/blower_airbag_web.jpg (http://www.wctproducts.com/blower_manhole_airbag.html)

Click on pic for link to site. A hefty inverter we use on the van, while running, to power it in the field. Works well, I guess. Im still alive.

And it looms pretty well, usually at the top of the hole, just over my head.:laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 02:51 PM
http://www.wctproducts.com/blower_airbag_web.jpg (http://www.wctproducts.com/blower_manhole_airbag.html)

Click on pic for link to site. A hefty inverter we use on the van, while running, to power it in the field. Works well, I guess. Im still alive.

And it looms pretty well, usually at the top of the hole, just over my head.:laugh:

I call those SUB WORK

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I call those SUB WORK
2 minutes for a turn on and 5 for a blowout hookup? Wouldnt be worth the time to calla sub.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
2 minutes for a turn on and 5 for a blowout hookup? Wouldnt be worth the time to calla sub.

Not for you. Me. Either that or I'm sending Jose in with a long reed straw.

Sprinkus
03-07-2009, 04:33 PM
How about a DIY well (http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm)?
Looks like all you need is a sledgehammer and some pipe!

Hmmm, if you have a weightlifting set maybe you can make this one: DIY drilling rig (http://drillingfab.com/books)

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Is a dead well where you hide the dead bodies? :)

If I go missing, look in Peter's dead well.

ARGOS
03-08-2009, 02:08 PM
A drainage creek has a small continuous stream about 20' away and 15' or so below so I know I'm not to far from some water table.

What is the origin of the continuous flow? I have three developed springs and two undeveloped springs. The springs all have "uncontaminated" origins (they just start flowing out of the ground in the middle of the hill. I will take some pictures. I basically dug down to rock, cleared out the dirt, built a house to keep dirt out, put on roof, and plugged in a pipe. The water catches in a five gallon area and flows to cisterns. The other spring I just drove a pipe into the hill where the spring is originating and put it into a cistern. I never use all the water so the spring overflows are constantly running. Over 15 years of use. They run everything for my house, garden, and a rental house. I tested them the first five years and quit because they were never contaminated.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
What is the origin of the continuous flow? I have three developed springs and two undeveloped springs. The springs all have "uncontaminated" origins (they just start flowing out of the ground in the middle of the hill. I will take some pictures. I basically dug down to rock, cleared out the dirt, built a house to keep dirt out, put on roof, and plugged in a pipe. The water catches in a five gallon area and flows to cisterns. The other spring I just drove a pipe into the hill where the spring is originating and put it into a cistern. I never use all the water so the spring overflows are constantly running. Over 15 years of use. They run everything for my house, garden, and a rental house. I tested them the first five years and quit because they were never contaminated.

i wondered it that was doable. I searched out the origin and it went out of the property line. I though of building a small dam and trying to build up a pool that can be slowly drained. It would need a filter. A farmer at the base of the canyon has canyon water rights. If his pond doesn't fill he investigates and tears down any flow inhibitors.

ARGOS
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I though of building a small dam and trying to build up a pool that can be slowly drained. It would need a filter.

This is exactly what I do in a cabin I own in the Emigrant Wilderness (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus/visitor/emigrant.shtml). I am unsure of the spring origin. The small dam (two-three feet across) was built in the 30s. Feeds three cabins and I have drunk the water for years. It is filtered through a screen to keep out muck.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-08-2009, 02:25 PM
This is like WE ARE SCARY SMART AND SIMILAR IN THOUGHT

Wet_Boots
03-08-2009, 02:26 PM
i wondered it that was doable. I searched out the origin and it went out of the property line. I though of building a small dam and trying to build up a pool that can be slowly drained. It would need a filter. A farmer at the base of the canyon has canyon water rights. If his pond doesn't fill he investigates and tears down any flow inhibitors.So build a dam, and surround it with land mines. :gunsfirin

Mike Leary
03-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Is the source upstream or downstream? We built a gravel sump around the source, lined it with filter fabric and ran 4" pipe to the cistern. After a while, it ran clean, had it tested, drinkable, even though we're only using it for irrigation. Even if you had to put another cistern and a small pump in, I would think that would do the job. Got a pic of the spring?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Is the source upstream or downstream? We built a gravel sump around the source, lined it with filter fabric and ran 4" pipe to the cistern. After a while, it ran clean, had it tested, drinkable, even though we're only using it for irrigation. Even if you had to put another cistern and a small pump in, I would think that would do the job. Got a pic of the spring?

It is out or the property line so I have to use what is flowing in the creek in front. I don't own this place. I made an offer and am waiting on a response.

Mike Leary
03-08-2009, 02:45 PM
It is out or the property line so I have to use what is flowing in the creek in front. I don't own this place. I made an offer and am waiting on a response.

Sounds like a cool place, looks like someone spent a lot of time/money on the existing well. Is it completely dry?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a cool place, looks like someone spent a lot of time/money on the existing well. Is it completely dry?

Yep shallow hand dug. This creek they say at one time ran continuous with fish in it. Now you have to go down 300' and pray.

Mike Leary
03-08-2009, 02:52 PM
When do you hear about the offer? Would like to see the property when we're up next month.

DanaMac
03-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Would like to see the property when we're up next month.

As I said earlier Is a dead well where you hide the dead bodies?

:)

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-08-2009, 02:56 PM
As I said earlier

:)

Ever see the movie THE OTHER?

DanaMac
03-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Ever see the movie THE OTHER?

No. Maybe I'll add to my Netflix list though.

AI Inc
03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
is it the other , or the others?

DanaMac
03-08-2009, 03:08 PM
is it the other , or the others?

There's one of each. The Other is a 70s flik.

AI Inc
03-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Not for me then . I like movies that are recent and take place in recent times. I can handle a movie about the Vietnam era , but thats about as far back. Going forward anything that takes place in the future aint my bag either.

Kiril
03-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Pete, if you need to filter, let me know. I put together my whole house filter that will filter any water source for about 2500 ... if I had bought one of the "packaged" solutions, it probably would have cost around 8-10K to get the same filtering.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-08-2009, 03:39 PM
There's one of each. The Other is a 70s flik.

You want the 70s flik. The novel by Thomas Tryon is better though. The movie has a young John Ritter.

Mike Leary
03-08-2009, 04:44 PM
The novel by Thomas Tryon is better though.

I read that book years ago, great!, I'd forgotten about it, thanks for the memories.

ARGOS
03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
This is a developed spring that I don't use. The upstream is coming from the pipe that is coming in the side of the tank.

ARGOS
03-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Sequence of spring (how do you describe each picture right above the picture?)

1) The spring house. The cinder block was built over solid rock. It is there to protect the integrity of the spring. It is not full of water.
2) Inside the spring. The actual spring is in the back of the spring house.
3) The water and feed pipe. Goes to another space where there is a screen.
4) Spring flows into two holding tanks.
5) The holding tanks over flow into the main holding tank.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks ARGOS. I'm cleaning house before the real estate lady gets here so I'll study and ask questions later.

ARGOS
03-09-2009, 12:45 PM
1) Pump house. A real mess that I have been meaning to redo for fifteen years...I'll do it next winter. Jet pumps pull and pressurize tanks. I only use one pump at a time, but have two so that I can work on one without losing water.
2) My overflow. This water runs down hill 24/7. In the summer we use more water and the overflow may stop. If the kids leave on a spigot the main tank could drain.
3) A spring that I never developed. Behind me the hill is dry. You can clearly see where the spring originates. The bladder tank in the distance is my "redo" of the pump house.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
WOH...

I got dibs on ARGOS in my bunker