PDA

View Full Version : MP ROTATORS - who's using them?

CANADIAN MIKE
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
allright guys, here's another hot topic for you! Who's been using these, what do you think of them? Let's here some feedback please:canadaflag:

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Great nozzles. Put in 550 last year at one property. Saved them oodles of dineros.

The adjustability is nice and thats what RainBird should be going after to keep up with thier rotary nozzles.

A bit pricy, but theyve been worth every penny thus far. After sticking it on a PRS head, youre paying the sameish as a good rotor.

CANADIAN MIKE
03-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Great nozzles. Put in 550 last year at one property. Saved them oodles of dineros.

The adjustability is nice and thats what RainBird should be going after to keep up with thier rotary nozzles.

A bit pricy, but theyve been worth every penny thus far. After sticking it on a PRS head, youre paying the sameish as a good rotor.

how do you save money? You still have to run that zone longer don't you?

EagleLandscape
03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Either requires less heads and valves, or on a retrofit it enables you to bring up the proper coverage without having to add heads, valves, etc.

You can do a 6 zone system with MPs that sprays would have required 10-12.

I on the other hand installed me first 3 MPs yesterday:)

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Efficiency.

Either requires less heads and valves, or on a retrofit it enables you to bring up the proper coverage without having to add heads, valves, etc.

You can do a 6 zone system with MPs that sprays would have required 10-12.

I on the other hand installed me first 3 MPs yesterday:)

First ones, John? WTF?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-07-2009, 03:14 PM

You'd be surprised how many people don't get that. On a WM SL a MP zone set at .3 is going to put a lot of water out. But they are more efficient in coverage and less run off. The RB rotators are better in wind though. If I had an area which allowed 30' spacing though I'd go with LA nozzle RB sam/prs 5000s. Retrofitting MPs are awesome.

bobw
03-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I use them all the time; usually 1200-1500 a season. I just wish I could throttle the mp1000's down more than they allow. Sometimes you need an 8 foot or less and you just can't get there with the MPs.

Sprinkus
03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I've done several retrofits using them. I really like them for systems that were not installed properly since the lower flow rates allow me to add heads to zones without having to add valves.
Less run-off, if any, is also a good thing.

JeffY
03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
We probably installed over a thousand of them last year. Had a project where we had to put in sprays to cover the parking strip (area between street and sidewalk) around a HOA. Original specs called for 6 zones of sprays, install 6 valves and install 300 spray heads. I walked through and noticed there were 3 zones on the other side of the sidewalk spraying 4' from the fence towards the sidewalk all the way around the perimeter. We retrofitted all the spray heads from 15 sst to the MP side strip, bored under the sidewalk, and pulled new pipe and added heads in the parking strip. Didn't have to install any valves, worry about getting wires from the controller to the valves that was 500' away. It was such a big time saver. Hardest part was educating the HOA to keep messing with the clock as he thought 1 hour was too long and kept reducing it to 15 mins.

GreenLight
03-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I personally think they are a great addition.
I don't think you have to swear by them and only install them on the job or disregard them altogether. We have plenty of jobs where Rotor zones, spray zones and MP zones are used. They are all supposed to be matched precipitation which I find to be a big plus and they are a great choice for small quirky yards that you can't really use anything but a pgj or some other shrub rotor.

The only weakness I have found with them is really small angles. MP1000, 2000, 3000 come in styles that are great for anything in the 90 -360 range and side strips are great for perfectly rectangular boxes. Yet the MP Corner nozzle is a 45 - 110 degree head, but the drawback is right now it's maximum distance in radius is 15 feet. It's quite rare that this presents a problem, but once in a blue moon it can.

mowerman111
03-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I use them every chance I get, I will be doing a retrofit next week as a matter of fact. When we moved into our house five years ago I checked water pressure before installing irrigation system had only 32 PSI to work with, so I designed system with MP's if it had not been for them I would have had to install 6 zones instead 3. So they get two thumbs up from me.