PDA

View Full Version : weeds in beds

garlar55
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I have a customer who has a mulched bed in front of his house. It measures about 8 foot by 32 ft. and it has weeds and sod (grass growing in it. He wants the grass and weeds out and a layer of new mulch put in. It is not a flower bed, but one with afew small bushes scattered here and there. My question: what's the best way to do this so the weeds and grass doesn't come back up through the mulch by the middle of the season? Sjould I hand pull the stuff, kill it first with round up, till it under. Any pointers would be appreciated.

afg
03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
dont till it under, you're only promoting more weed seed, to soil contact. spray it out first then use a pre-emergent such as Snapshot, to control your grassy and broadleaf weeds. you may have to hand pull around plants, obviously, but the pre-emergent is totally safe.

grassman177
03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
first of all you need to have a license for pesticide use in order to do anything with chemicals. and no chemicals are safe at all as mentioned above. after saying that, yeah, snapshot is good to prevent most and good ol roundup and hand pulling is your best bet. heavy mulch afterwards.

NewLeaf
03-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I think using round up is a little scary, especially here were the wind is unpredictable. I use speed zone & ornamech in a back pack sprayer & walk around inside of the bed were I can get down to the base of the weed or tufts of grass. Get a good kill then use my weed hog to pull them bad boys out!

baddboygeorge
03-07-2009, 11:09 PM
pull the shrubs , blast it with round up, weed mat it , replace the shrubs , collect a check !!!

tyler_mott85
03-08-2009, 11:39 AM
1) Get a pesticide license and proper insurance
2) Spray unwanted vegetation with your choice of non-selective herbicide
3) Wait for vegetation to die
4) Get your string trimmer out and trim the vegetation to the ground while shoots the clippings out into the yard
5) Take you mower and BAG the clippings in the yard to remove debris
6) Apply your choice of pre-emergent herbicide. Snapshot works fine.
7) Apply 4" or Mulch
8) Final Cleanup.

A process which will take you two different visits to the property but for me it is the most efficient approach and has the best results for the time and money.

Sure, stuff will grow back but that's how the world works. If he's not willing to pay you to hand pull weeds when you see them starting to grow or if you're just too "busy" mowing then you can tell him that he can expect to do that process yearly.

ruffs
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
pull the tall stuff then spray, you dont have to wait for it to die just give it a half hour to dry and bury it with 3-4'' of mulch

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Try ProDuece, its dual action. ProDuece has glyphosate for kill and prodiamine for pre-emergent control.

Collegepro
03-14-2009, 02:53 AM
use SNAPSHOT...best stuff there is for keeping weeds and grass out of beds, but make sure you clean it all up first...this stuff kicks preen and treflans butt