PDA

View Full Version : Custom laptop stand for under $35 - I'll b 100% mobile this year

milsaps118
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Just finished building a laptop stand for inside the truck. I used .236 plexiglass for the top and just cut it down to the size of the laptop. 3/4 flange, 24" long flexible copper gas pipe (I found the stiffest, most ridged piece they had) that had 3/4" threaded ends. One on each end. 4 flat top screws with nuts, and 1" loom to dress it all up. Total cost was under $35 and everything was bought at Home Cheapo. Took me about 1/2hr to do.

I plan on being more efficient this year by being able to do estimates, contracts, invoices, etc... while on the road right on site while with the customer. I also installed a portable printer (HP470) and a 1000W power inverter both mounted under the back seat. My camera ran out of batteries so I wasn't able to get any good pic's of the inverter and printer mounted.

All comments good and bad welcome.........

02DURAMAX
03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Good job!

Is your truck Diesel?

03-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Thats almost exactly the same as mine is. I have the power inverter and printer also. I used velcro to hold the laptop to the plexi and it works great. Nice Job!

milsaps118
03-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Good job!

Is your truck Diesel?

I wish....its a 6.0 gasser

Thats almost exactly the same as mine is. I have the power inverter and printer also. I used velcro to hold the laptop to the plexi and it works great. Nice Job!

Thanks...I was going to use some velcro on mine but when I went and test drove it around it seemed to stay in place pretty good. I have 4 small rubber pads on the bottom of the lappy and it seems to keep it planted.

Green Team Landscaping
03-07-2009, 06:47 PM
That's pretty cool. That seems like a good idea to have a totally mobile operation.

milsaps118
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
That's pretty cool. That seems like a good idea to have a totally mobile operation.

I'll find out how much more effective it will be with this setup in a few weeks when I start doing estimates.

I like the fact that I can print out a good looking service contract right on site and propose it to the customer at the same time. I'm hoping this will increase my "closing ratio", not to mention almost everything else I use my PC for, I can have access to with the lappy in the truck with me.

03-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I wish....its a 6.0 gasser

Thanks...I was going to use some velcro on mine but when I went and test drove it around it seemed to stay in place pretty good. I have 4 small rubber pads on the bottom of the lappy and it seems to keep it planted.

Those rubber pads wont save your laptop in a hard breaking or cornering situation. Velcro is cheap, a laptop smashed on the windshield or worse, under your feet, is not. The screen can break easy if it falls even a couple feet with the screen open.

Oh and mobile internet is nice if you dont have it allready. I like my Verizon air card. A few other companies make them also.

jord1990
03-08-2009, 01:58 PM
how do you keep the black part supporting the fiberglass so firm.... what is that pipe made of again. I'm looking into this similar setup.

4.3mudder
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I like that stand. You could have put a channel around the edges to keep the laptop in the middle and to keep from falling off. I see you got leather seats in your work truck, how nifty. Must be an LT trim truck

got-h2o
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I have an identical one I'll sell for $40 shipped. It's the same aside from it has a strap to hold the laptop in place and also a piece of 3/4" alum angle along the bottom to support it.

It worked great until I dropped my laptop and never replaced it.

jord1990
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I have an identical one I'll sell for $40 shipped. It's the same aside from it has a strap to hold the laptop in place and also a piece of 3/4" alum angle along the bottom to support it.

It worked great until I dropped my laptop and never replaced it.

I'll buy it email me the details at jklawn@live.ca and we can chat

milsaps118
03-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Those rubber pads wont save your laptop in a hard breaking or cornering situation. Velcro is cheap, a laptop smashed on the windshield or worse, under your feet, is not. The screen can break easy if it falls even a couple feet with the screen open.

Oh and mobile internet is nice if you dont have it allready. I like my Verizon air card. A few other companies make them also.

I ended up using velcro to make sure it would stay planted, after what you said it got me thinking and figured doing it was really cheap insurance.

I use Verizon for cell phone service, so I was gonna start looking into getting an air card.

I like that stand. You could have put a channel around the edges to keep the laptop in the middle and to keep from falling off. I see you got leather seats in your work truck, how nifty. Must be an LT trim truck

I was going to run a neither strip of plexi about 3/8" wide along the perimeter to keep it from sliding off but ended up using velcro. Truck is a LT.

bluesprucelawncare
03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
how did you guys mount it to the floor or seat?

milsaps118
03-09-2009, 01:42 AM
how did you guys mount it to the floor or seat?

My original plan was to fab a bracket and use the mounting stud and bolt that holds the seat frame down to the floor. Another way I was going to do it was to thread on another flange (same one I used to mount the plexiglass) and use self tapping screws and screw it right down to the floor but I didn't like the idea of putting holes in the floor of my truck.

I was lucky enough to find a spot between the center console and seat frame where two metal brackets met. I wedged the end of the pipe between them and bent the pipe at a 90 so it ran parallel with the seat and got sandwiched between the console, then angled it back up so the platform would sit the way I needed it to.

03-09-2009, 05:50 AM
I use Verizon for cell phone service, so I was gonna start looking into getting an air card.

the Vz internet is fast down your way. I get to the cities alot, and never have a problem. I am terrible, but I surf and drive all the time, and can attest it's quick all along 94. I have been in the boondocks and it still works also. Up in the arrowhead it was iffy, until I got a 15" antenna and then it was even fast up there, where my sprint phone wouldnt even work I had Verizon internet. It comes in about $70 a month, spendy, but well worth it.

milsaps118
03-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I changed my printer setup location from under the back seat to the front. I had an extra piece of plexi left over so I put it to use.

I used the glove box door as a mounting point for the plexi to lock into. I had to bend the plexi just right so it would sit level and notched it where I needed to so it would lock it self into the two separate compartments in the glove box. For now I have thin nylon rope holding it up tied to the grab handle until I find something better.

jord1990
03-14-2009, 09:45 PM
nice man looks sweet!

milsaps118
03-14-2009, 09:52 PM
nice man looks sweet!

Thanks...Did you buy that one from got-H2o?

grass_cuttin_fool
03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
looks good.....just hope someone doesnt smash a window and make a grab and run on your stuff

jord1990
03-14-2009, 10:09 PM
no not yet ill buy it from ya bud!

markahurley
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
not to bash, but i couldn't help but laugh. can you imagine what all that's going to do when you take one corner a little too fast? you're going to have things going EVERYWHERE. i mean, it's a good idea to have things mobile, but it just doesn't look secure. i can just envision you going over some railroad tracks, and everything going airborn. :laugh:

milsaps118
03-17-2009, 07:18 PM
not to bash, but i couldn't help but laugh. can you imagine what all that's going to do when you take one corner a little too fast? you're going to have things going EVERYWHERE. i mean, it's a good idea to have things mobile, but it just doesn't look secure. i can just envision you going over some railroad tracks, and everything going airborn. :laugh:

No bash taken.......I can tell you this, I don't have to imagine what will happen because I've been driving around all over town for the last 2 days doing estimates and have not had one issue will it so far. Lappy and printer are securely fasten down with velcro and both are planted very firmly in place.

So far I have encountered Bumpy azz city streets, pot holes, freeways, on and off ramps, parking lot speed bumps and YES RR tracks I have to cross everyday to get to my house. One thing I did notice though is that I don't like having the screen up while driving other wise the screen wiggles around a little and I don't want the hinges to wear out. Not even an issue though cuz I NEVER intend to be looking at it while driving down the road in the first place.

One more thing I'll add is that my truck (3/4 ton) has 18"X9" wheels w/285's, pumped up with 48psi all the way around so it's not the smoothest riding rig going down the road to begin with. Comfortable..... but far from smooth.

Tony Clifton
03-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Looks good, nice work!

Where in HD would you find those flanges?

milsaps118
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Looks good, nice work!

Where in HD would you find those flanges?

Over by the gas pipe fittings and copper fittings.

got-h2o
03-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm with milsap. Although the $400 mounts are much nicer, these do the job well. I used mine for about a year in my truck and never an issue. And I drove the truck like I stole it 95% of the time. It was my first modern diesel with a tuner and I thought it was a race car. We were doing a job about an hour and a half each way for about 6 months and I used it a lot to play DVD's on the trip. I ran a FM transmitter to the earphone jack and it ran sound through my radio. It never skipped or anything like that, ever. I broke my laptop carring it out to the truck one day............ironically.

My mount is identical and is still up for grabs if anyone wants to save themselves the running around for parts and stuff. I'll post a pic. I didn't notice if yours did, but mine's got a union on it for quick removal or easy pivoting. Sorry milsap if you consider this a hijack :o

milsaps118
03-18-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm with milsap. Although the $400 mounts are much nicer, these do the job well. I used mine for about a year in my truck and never an issue. And I drove the truck like I stole it 95% of the time. It was my first modern diesel with a tuner and I thought it was a race car. We were doing a job about an hour and a half each way for about 6 months and I used it a lot to play DVD's on the trip. I ran a FM transmitter to the earphone jack and it ran sound through my radio. It never skipped or anything like that, ever. I broke my laptop carring it out to the truck one day............ironically.

My mount is identical and is still up for grabs if anyone wants to save themselves the running around for parts and stuff. I'll post a pic. I didn't notice if yours did, but mine's got a union on it for quick removal or easy pivoting. Sorry milsap if you consider this a hijack :o

No hijack considered....yours looks really close to what I built. Did you get that off eBay? I seen a guy on there selling one just like that as a kit.

I thought jord1990 was going to buy that from ya? Try posting it in the for sale section if you haven't already, ya might get some takers.

got-h2o
03-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Yep, ebay about 4 years ago. I haven't heard from jord lately. It's not a big deal to sell it, your thread just reminded me I had it.

03-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Not even an issue though cuz I NEVER intend to be looking at it while driving down the road in the first place.

I cruise with mine open all the time. Mobile internet is awesome. I keep it closed mostly around town, but on the interstate or hwy, I have it open doing something. I have 65psi in my tires, and on bumpy roads the screen moves, but on most roads its not a problem at all.

You printer setup is the first I have seen in the front seat. I have a larger printer/scanner setup, currently on the back seat. But I am thinking of taking the entire back seat out so I have more room for tools and such back there, and mounting the printer on a permanent mount.

jord1990
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks...Did you buy that one from got-H2o?

not yet ill buy it from you if its a vetter deal!