PDA

View Full Version : Paver driveway on a slope?

CBlandscaping
03-07-2009, 06:47 PM
My dad really want to do a paver driveway to replace our existing driveway thats falling apart, my question is how well will pavers hold up on a slope?

First off Ill say that my yard is extremely sandy soil, that plus the fact that when our house was built (20 years ago) the process base washed out multiple times and was never properly repaired before being paved over, hence why the driveway is rutting and cracking apart.

Second if we do pavers I plan on redoing the entire 12in base and putting a concrete footer at hte bottom of the hill with cobbles set in to build up the hill off of, also I plan on doing a coble edge (set in concrete) on both sides to hold the pavers in place

Ive attached pics of the current driveway, any advice, suggestions, and oppinions would greatly be appreciated, Thanks Chris

PatriotLandscape
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
the pavers will do fine. just remember to start at the bottom of the hill and pave up to the house. one issue you may have is tire marks on the pavers from the slope and curve but it looks like it would be fine.

Rex Mann
03-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Start at the bottom and work your way up. I would also put in a concrete header between the end of the driveway and the street. A concrete header is a great edge restraint, which you'll need at the bottom of the driveway.

Peace,

http://PaverExperts.Com

BOEpavers
03-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Depending on the steepness of the slope you may want to install another concrete header or bond-beam at least half way up or more frequently depending on slope and/or length. These bond beams would be reinforced poured concrete approximately 16" deep (we do them so they are below the bottom of the base into the virgin soil), roughly a foot wide and the width of the driveway obviously. They provide added reinforcement on a steep slope. It's hard to tell from your photos what the actual grade is in your case so I can't say whether we would do one on your driveway or not.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
How does the bond beams work on these projects? Do they come to grade and break the pavers into sections or they below grade and anchor to the pavers above somehow??

BOEpavers
03-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Come to grade and break the pavers into sections.

TPendagast
03-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Being from CT myself and having repaired TONS of those belgium blocks in concrete over the years, thats not the best idea, especially out by the road where the county plow will take them and launch them.

Also no offense but guys from AZ should not be giving advise on jobs in CT, the winter weather is completely different.

I would definately NOT use concreteed blocks adjacent to the road.

I could refer you to dozens of my former customers on greenwhich and westchester.
All of whom have had similar problems.

PatriotLandscape
03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Connecticut or Idaho?

You could also use granite curbing set at grade rather than concrete.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
ICPI did a 5 page article on this topic in 06' which I've attached. Hope this helps.

CBlandscaping
03-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and suggestions I really apperciate it

TPendagast instead of doing the blocks cemented in at the bottom do you have a suggestion that will work? or are you suggesting i scrap the idea all together?