PDA

View Full Version : Zone will not shut off.

tbettis
03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
zone just keeps running past ending time. where do i start. ive checked wiring in valve box seems ok. is the valve getting stuck. is it a transmission problem from controller. its a rainbird system. any inputs.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Probably debris in valve. Shut off water at backflow , wait a few minutes and turn it back on . This may flush it, if it dosnt you need to take it apart and clean it out. We usualy rebuild them while they are apart.

milsaps118
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
So you mean the zone that stays running...., once the time ends it stays on? Does it stay running when the next zone in sequence runs, or even if you turn off the clock? If this is the case I'd suspect that there is something causing the valve for that zone to stay open.

I have had this happen to my personal system, when I twisted off the top of the valve I found a tiny pebble sitting in there. Removed it and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Could be debris such as dirt, rocks, or PVC shavings hanging up the diaphragm. Or the diaphragm is just worn out or torn and in need of replacement. Possibly the solenoid is turned to "ON" which would mean it just needs a slight turn clockwise until snug.

tbettis
03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
valve is halfway fill to the rim with mud. will attempt to clear out tomorrow.

tbettis
03-07-2009, 07:20 PM
So you mean the zone that stays running...., once the time ends it stays on? Does it stay running when the next zone in sequence runs, or even if you turn off the clock? If this is the case I'd suspect that there is something causing the valve for that zone to stay open.

I have had this happen to my personal system, when I twisted off the top of the valve I found a tiny pebble sitting in there. Removed it and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

it stays running even the next sequence..if even stays running after i unplug the controller.

mitchgo
03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Yep. You have a stuck valve.

Clean out the valve box. Take apart the valve. Grab the piece of debris with some needle nose pliers. Make sure you flush the valve by turning on your shut off and back off for a couple seconds while the valve is taken apart. put it back together.

If that doesn't work then the diaphram is damaged and needs to be replaced

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Regardless of whats in the valve box, that shouldn't affect the inside of the valve. No good for anything in there, especially the solenoid and any electrical connections.

Sounds like something stuck in it, as everyone else has stated. Might replace the solenoid anyway, while youre there. Cheap fix, could have been damaged by the debris.

mitchgo
03-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Regardless of whats in the valve box, that shouldn't affect the inside of the valve..

Can't really take apart the valve if it's full of dirt ;)

And for the flush. you need some room otherwise the water will fill up the box and possibly get more debris inside the valve.

hoskm01
03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Can't really take apart the valve if it's full of dirt ;)

And for the flush. you need some room otherwise the water will fill up the box and possibly get more debris inside the valve.
He should clean it out, no doubt, an absolute must if youre going to take apart the valve. As far as the valve is concerned though, it might as well be at the bottom of a muddy swimming pool. Im saying that the status of the box would have nothing to do with something getting inside the valve

Sprinkus
03-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Possibly torn diaphragm, debris in valve and/or solenoid chamber, stuck solenoid.
You've mentioned that the system is Rainbird, is that the controller or are you sure that the valves are also Rainbird? It's possible that a different brand of valve may have been used.
Pictures of the valve would be helpful.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
valve is halfway fill to the rim with mud. will attempt to clear out tomorrow.

You're saying the valve "box" is halfway filled right? Not the valve itself? As matt said that should have no effect on it.

DanaMac
03-07-2009, 10:26 PM
it stays running even the next sequence..if even stays running after i unplug the controller.

That means it's mechanical, not electrical. Something is wrong with the valve, not the controller.