PDA

View Full Version : Question for our friends to then north (Canadians)

PatiosInstalled
03-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Quick question and i know its way way off topic but i donut watch any other forums on here and i know there are a few Canadians hardscapers.

Me and my buddy have a continuing debate about the Canadian health care system. He insists that its a flawed system and Canadians don't like it. He insists that if you need to see your doctor you have a couple week wait just for a simple cold and if you have to go to the emergency room you have a 24 to 48 hour wait. Now i have been to Canada and have spoken to several Canadians and they have spoken highly of your health care system. If you could please enlighten me on your opinion of your health care, give the pros and cons and if you like it or not. I will forward this link to my buddy so he can watch it. I am very curious as to what your opinions are. thanks and again sorry for being way off topic. nick

riverwalklandscaping
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I think you would get a better response if you post this in the off topic forum. I live near the border and know canadians and for the most part they hate the health care system. The one used in the UK is much better IMO. It's true about waiting a long time for doctors (one of my friends had a kid wait so long for a pediatrician he was almost not longer a kid by the time of the appointment). But the emergency room thing is slightly incorrect. If you have a life threatening injury you get put through. Many candians come down over the border to see doctors, but people here go to canada to buy cheap medicine so it works both ways.

bobw
03-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Having lived in both the USA and Canada...

If you have good health insurance,the US system works better. If you don't, then the Canadian one does.

The Canadian system has basically been overloaded. Quality MDs, RNs, etc.. get pulled into the USA where they will make much more money. The health system in Canada is run at the provincial (ie: state) level. Each province is run different. Where I live, they are trying to get the average emergency room wait to under 8 hours. You tell me if that is bad or not. There are not enough MDs to go around, so getting a Dr appointment takes a couple of weeks. There are lots of walk in clinics, so if you don't want to wait to see your doctor (if you actually have one), you just go to the clinic and take a number.

PlatinumLandCon
03-10-2009, 10:23 PM
It hasn't been bad for me at all. You don't need to book an apt with the doctor weeks in advance, I get in quite fast. Ontario subs out clinic work and these private run, public funded places work the best. Its not a full hospital, but can take care of 99% of your everyday concerns.

Having said that, I live in a wealthy Toronto suburb, so the money and population is there for multiple massive hospitals and clinics. Not sure if that effects my wait times and such.

Kunker
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
And it depends on where you live in each province...in Northern Ontario, it was pretty much as bad as you've heard with no doctors and extreme wait times. In Ottawa (national capital), it was better, but I'd still wait several hours when I was in the emerg, even if I was bleeding all over the place. Now that I'm in a rural area outside of Ottawa, the longest wait I've had is 1 week for a dr appointment and 10 minutes for emerg.

Golfpro21
01-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Having lived in both the USA and Canada...

If you have good health insurance,the US system works better. If you don't, then the Canadian one does.

The Canadian system has basically been overloaded. Quality MDs, RNs, etc.. get pulled into the USA where they will make much more money. The health system in Canada is run at the provincial (ie: state) level. Each province is run different. Where I live, they are trying to get the average emergency room wait to under 8 hours. You tell me if that is bad or not. There are not enough MDs to go around, so getting a Dr appointment takes a couple of weeks. There are lots of walk in clinics, so if you don't want to wait to see your doctor (if you actually have one), you just go to the clinic and take a number.

and it doesnt cost a $100 TO SEE THE DOC

zedosix
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Depending on severity of your injuries, here in Ontario if you break a finger, or cut your arm and bleeding, you wait your turn in line (at the hospital). Yes it can take hours to get attention. If you luckily (if you want to call it lucky) come in by ambulance you generally get priority, so the poor guy waiting in the waiting room has to wait even more. There are numerous walk in clinics nowadays to deal with personal injuries and the waiting time is generally an hour or so. I have a family doctor and I typically don't wait more than a couple of days to have my concerns addressed.

DVS Hardscaper
01-13-2010, 11:12 PM
when i'm in Canada and in need of medical care I usually just tell them I'm a lawnsite bronze member and they quickly take care of me.........

zedosix
01-13-2010, 11:24 PM
when i'm in Canada and in need of medical care I usually just tell them I'm a lawnsite bronze member and they quickly take care of me.........

Yup, and that is basically how it goes here. Anyone in need of care come on right over, you have to wait a bit, but come and get free health care. Just think, millions of immigrants have already:canadaflag::nono:

ProScape Canada
02-28-2010, 01:17 AM
We have walk in clinics with maybe 1 hour wait tops, some days 15 minutes and your in. For my regular doctor it depends on if their busy or not sometimes 1-2 day wait while one time i remember a 1 week wait, I ended up going to the walk-in. Hospital, almost never shorter then a 4 hour wait but average for me its been 6 hour wait. A ride in the ambulance costs you $45 as my bill just came in. Mind you I don't think they care as much to figure out what's wrong with you but when it comes to injuries we're ok in Canada.

Lite4
02-28-2010, 07:04 AM
For minor stuff it sounds like the system works ok, the big question comes in though; what if you are preliminarily diagnosed with a life threatening disease such as Cancer, aids, or some neurological disorder. I have heard stories of folks that have to wait many months just to even get the CT scans and blood work done just so they can find out if they can get on the waiting list for treatment. By then the disease could have done irreperable damage that could have been stemmed if it were taken care of promptly. This is why 50% of women diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK die from the disease. The period between diagnosis and treatment is drawn out too long to effectively battle the disease effectively. Our rates in the US I think are maybe 5-10% mortality. And God forbid if you are 65+ years of age and coming to the end of your "sociatel usefullness". What then? Is a national healthcare system really in our best interest and at what cost?