PDA

View Full Version : Brush Removal Question

Blmtlandscapes
03-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Hello, just wondering what you guys do about the plant roots when you do brush removal. I can move pretty fast with a brush cutter but then the area is left with the root of the plant. Say for instance you were going to plant lawn in the area, it would be important to get rid of the roots. Aside from chemical use what do you guys do. Rototill? Dig up roots with shovel? Thanks

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Depends on how big the roots are and how many. We have removed them from a shovel to a Skidsteer. Never tried a tiller for cleaning up roots / I don't thing that would work to good unless there small!!

yardatwork
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
If you're removing brush to plant a yard, you should be ok with weekly mowing. A weekly mow will reduce weeds by 70% or so. A weekly mowing should eliminate most of the problem. You could always do a total vegetation spray, wait a period for the root system to die, wait more for the soil to get back to a normal state, and then plant the yard...long way!

Blmtlandscapes
03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
A lot of the brush that I remove has been patches of very tall grass (kind of like the stuff that grows next to ponds and swamps) with fairly deep roots. And whats frustrating is that usually theres a ton of it very close together so it is hard to deal with each root seperately unless you pulled each plant out individually. I'll try and look up a name of the weed so I can be clearer.

ruffs
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
if your talking about grasses i would dig the crowns out,not deep like 2'' down like if you scalped it with your mower, or do it on a real hot real dry day might kill it . one things for sure spray will kill it.

hackitdown
03-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Spray (or have it sprayed) with Roundup a day or two prior to cutting it. This is the least labor-intensive method. And it will not return.