PDA

View Full Version : rookie needing help fast

stewd
03-08-2009, 06:27 PM
just starting out with good equipment giving first proposal tommorrow need advice on pricing

LBLC_LCO
03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Gonna need more info than that.

ZTR_Diesel
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Okay, so I'm new to this as well. It's going to prove a a lot more helpful if you will slow down a bit, explain what you're looking to do, what type of advice you're seeking, and how you are going about establishing this business.

In mycase, before I visit a customer, I am going to visit the county courthouse. I will establish a business formally, have a name attached to it, and then call my insurance agent to get a small buiness insurance policy. Then, I will advertise, and establish a seperate phone account soley for business purposes. Then, and only then, will I visit customers and begin to appraise their properties and give quotations, which will be written.

Perhaps this might be of some help.

DLCS
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
just starting out with good equipment giving first proposal tommorrow need advice on pricing

Do a search.

hackitdown
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
No problem, just price it at $75.00.....no wait, make that $750

ambersLawnmowing
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
LOL...Not another one!!!!!!!! What is considered "Good" Equipment? I havent run by that brand before.

stewd
03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
love the positive advice already insured the job consist of mowing,weed pulling out of beds and poisioning weeds on driveway

DLCS
03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
love the positive advice already insured the job consist of mowing,weed pulling out of beds and poisioning weeds on driveway

Ok, well then that narrows it down. How about $30+ per week. :rolleyes:

PORTER 05
03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
how bigs the lawn, are you cutting it weekly or bi-weekly, are you bagging or mulching, how much trimming is there, are you solo, do you have other lawns on that st?????

ambersLawnmowing
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Why are you pulling weeds from the beds but spraying the driveway?

fazzy815-66
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
since you said your new,dont know what the laws are in your area but here in Mich you have to have a license to use weed killer.. just saying!

supercuts
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
nothing like jumping the gun

signature lawns
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM

What ever you do don't lowball to get work. You will put yourself out of

business before you know it. Just remember to look professional, and act

professional. If you plan on spraying for weeds,you will need to be state

certified and licensed. Call you local university extension & they will hook you

up. If you don't want sued I'd make sure you have adequate liability

insurance, and since you have good equipment, talk to your agent to make

sure its covered if it's stolen. :drinkup:

stewd
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
its bi weekly yard not big its in a sub division no more customers on that street maybe a10-15 min. mow and mulching

signature lawns
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Need to make sure you are going to make enough to cover ALL expenses

(insurance, equipment, fuel , advertising ,phone, rent for storage (If any)

etc. ) Good rule is $1.00 a min. for your time plus cost of materials (with a

markup 20-30%) But every situation is different. Hope that helps, and good

luck to you. :)

STIVEN
03-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Sure be nice if you guys would give more positive answers than neg. Starting out my self.

JustaGlimpseLandscapeMntc
03-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Sure be nice if you guys would give more positive answers than neg. Starting out my self.

Well the simple answer is, it depends on what your market can handle. However, given you're asking this question, you obviously do not know what that is yet. You will need to break down your expenses on an hourly basis (making a reasonable estimation of the number of customers, and thus hours, that you will work in the season). Once you get this, you simply need to multiply the time the job takes, including travel time (if it does not force you out of the market) by the time it takes you. For example, if your hourly operating costs (including your wages, your equipment payments, your fuel, marketing and insurance expenses, the depreciation on your equipment, a budgeted allowance for repairs, and all other expenses you have, as well as your desired profit to grow your business) is $60/hour, and you estimate the job will take you 30 minutes, it is reasonable to bid $30. Of course, you are going to want to set a minimum price, around here, the average minimum is $30-35 (lowballers at $25), as you will be doing a lot of traveling to and from, sometimes longer than it will take you to service the property.

signature lawns suggestion of $1 per minute is a reasonable place for you to start. You estimated that it will take you 10-15 minutes, meaning you should defer to your minimum price of $30-35, as it is above the $10-15 that you would get based on your per minute calculation at $1.

All companies have different expenses, some have rent, some don't have equipment payments, some use more fuel per hour, some less. Some have higher insurance coverage, some unfortunately, have none. Your pricing is based on what your specific expenses are.

I would say for now, go in with a minimum of $30 or 35 for this one if it really only will take 10-15 mins., then take some time over the next few days to figure out what your expenses really are. Only then will you know exactly what you need to charge to earn what you want to earn. If you are unsure of how long it will take you, make sure to go in above your estimates rather than below (add 10% or so to the total time you expect it to take) as the worst thing you can do is bid too low, as you will not be earning what you want to earn, something that can really destroy your drive to continue working at the best of your ability, which in the long run, can spell doom for a business.

STIVEN
03-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Thanks Justaglimpse for that valuable information and putting or stating like a true gentleman. This is the reason I am part of this outstanding website!!!!!:usflag:

DillonsLawnCare
03-15-2009, 01:21 PM

It's sort of hard to be serious when someone starts a thread and types out one line of information, that is extremely broad to a much needed specific subject.

What if i asked you, " I have a yard i have to mow, what do i charge, and how much mulch do i use, and should I apply fertilizer to those brown spots up on the hill over there.....?" :hammerhead::hammerhead:

Your going to be like.....WTF..:dizzy:

Many professionals are on this site to help people, and discuss the lawn and landscaping industry.

Sweet Tater
03-15-2009, 01:52 PM

well the question was very vague, and with a vague question you get a vague answer, you must be specific with your questions to get a decent answer. The folks on here are very helpful but you must give details. you must also remember that you are asking people from all over the country for an answer for your area. everywhere is different. A lawn that some one in NY could charge $75 for, in Georgia might only be $45, or in Mississippi it could be $65, answers on here are not always black and white, but can be used as a guideline to help you in making your own decisions.

burge19
03-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Why are you pulling weeds from the beds but spraying the driveway?

Maybe im missing something but i would think that you bull the weeds in the beds so you dont kill all the other plants in the beds, the driveway wont have plants in the middle of them, so you wouldnt have to worry about that in the driveway, as long as you watch your overspray and wind, Just my 2 cents