PDA

View Full Version : How to do it, How much to charge? (Removal of concrete)

Tyler7692
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a job where I need to remove a 3' by 40 foot concrete slab that runs right along the side of a metal sided building. On the outside edge is asphalt. I want to remove the concrete and make it into a planting bed with a row of boxwoods going down it with river gravel for mulch. I don't know how thick the concrete is, probably only 4". Don't know whats under it. Would a mini ex be able to do this easily (without ruining the bucket) or do I need a jackhammer, or what? I can't damage the building (Obviously) or the asphalt on the outside edge.

I wish I had a pic to show.

Any ideas?

punt66
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
A skidsteer with a hammer attachment. Break it all up and then use the bucket to load it into the truck.

Tyler7692
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Will a Bobcat mini skid be enough, or do you think I'll need a full size one?

White Gardens
03-08-2009, 10:49 PM
As long as it's not too thick, then I think a Jack-hammer attachment on a mini might work ok.

If your afraid of your edges, then you might want to rent a chop-saw and cut or score the edges to make sure they come away cleanly.

I'd be sketchy about a chop saw on asphalt though, could be a sticky mess when the blade heats up. Regardless, you'll need to bring in some sort of packing material to go against the asphalt so it doesn't break away on the edge when your finished.

Isobel
03-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I'd take a demolition hammer to it first, and the pull it out with a Skid Steer.

On another note,
If there's a building on one side, then the concrete, then the asphalt, my guess is that there is a sub base for the asphalt which extends under the concrete slab. If you start ripping into that to replace it with soil for the plants, I'd be afraid you would be undermining the stability of the asphalt.

Just saying.

AGLA
03-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Cut-off saw with diamond blade, cut a score line every 4' or 5' and take it out in clean chunks.

Tyler7692
03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I've never used a concrete saw, but I don't see how one could cut RIGHT UP to the building. Seems like it would leave a little 3-4" uncut section because the gaurd or something would hit the building first.

punt66
03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I've never used a concrete saw, but I don't see how one could cut RIGHT UP to the building. Seems like it would leave a little 3-4" uncut section because the gaurd or something would hit the building first.

That is correct. A cut off saw isnt difficult to use and i agree that you should make a cut between the walk and the asphalt but it may not be necessary. Again a skid steer with a hammer and a bucket to load it up is all you need. Something like a dingo may work but will be more time consuming.

Smallaxe
03-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Do you know if the concrete apron is attached to the footing under the building. Seems, if you are that close, it might be a good idea to leave the couple of inches.