PDA

View Full Version : New Job

ARGOS
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Met with a customer Sunday and got a new job. Removing a 2500 square foot parking area and installing an elaborate landscape. The Landscape Architect went with a native plant landscape with low maint plants and just a scrape of turf. There is going to be an outside bread oven. Very cool design. Lots of drainage issues need to be addressed. I took a picture of it, but it was two fuzzy to make out. I will try and take another.

The first step is hooking up this tank. Don't ask why they want all the storage because I really don't know, I think it is because they have solar power and want to run the pump at certain times and gravity feed water. I was asked to hook it up. Here is a picture of the well. The tank is 5000 gallons. The tank sits +/-60 feet above home.

My main concern is stratification in the tank. Suggestions?

DanaMac
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
There is going to be an outside bread oven. Very cool design.

I'd love to have an outside brick pizza oven. Not that it helps you and your question, just sayin'.

ARGOS
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
The bread oven requires a "special" mason. I think the oven is going to ring up to the tune of 12k.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I had to look up stratification. What is it in this situation? Why is that a concern? What causes it? Since I'm not helping you can wait til later to see if I can decipher the answer from other responses.

ARGOS
03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
The tank is going to be fed cold water. The tank is sitting on top of a hill exposed to full sun. I am worried that the water is going to stratify or create a cold layer and warm layer without circulating the water thus creating a stagnant layer.

Tom Tom
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
The tank is going to be fed cold water. The tank is sitting on top of a hill exposed to full sun. I am worried that the water is going to stratify or create a cold layer and warm layer without circulating the water thus creating a stagnant layer.

Circulating pump?

Bury it?

Enclose it?

Wet_Boots
03-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Solar-powered circulating pump.

ARGOS
03-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Solar-powered circulating pump.

I was hoping for a non-mechanical solution, but a solar powered circulating pump might work. Have you ever installed one?

The local pump company recommended filling tank from the top with an air gap. Wouldn't that much movement in the water play havoc with a shut off switch?

Wet_Boots
03-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Haven't installed a solar pump, but it seems an easy call for eliminating stratification. Probably wouldn't have to move much water.

Mike Leary
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Wouldn't that much movement in the water play havoc with a shut off switch?

Nope, proved it many times.

bicmudpuppy
03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
First, why the air gap? The tank is open at the top? I would expect two switches, one to tell the pump to come on (w/ override from a controller if you must run at specific times), and one to say the tank is full and shut the tank off. Once the switch says "full", you are off until the tank level drops down to the level you want to start filling again. A simple relay between two micro switches with a master timer (to limit when the pump can't run) makes it all work.