PDA

View Full Version : Fertigation advise

irishgond
03-09-2009, 02:19 PM
So I was wanting to know if anyone has experience with using the Fertigator. I know with fertigation systems that you can't just use whatever fertilizer you want or it will ruin the system. I know I have to use liquid, but I do not want to have to buy what Fertigator sells.

What are you using?

TPendagast
03-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I've been using fertigation type products since, well I was aware you could get them.

To be honest with you, the majoritof guys in our business get their information and expereince (intially) from vendors and product reps.

It doesn't really make sense to say A) I know nothing an have no expereince and B) I don't want to use what they want to sell me.

The best way to get expereince is to work with the guys who are going to supply you with the product.

That being said there are other brands out there besides fertigator, oddly enough I still call all of them "fertigation".

Anyway, do a web search you will find other brands. If you have a local supplier and its fertigator, i suggest using what they will sell you. Just like in the old days with pond kitd and aquascape, you have to start somewhere before you branch out.

DanaMac
03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Make sure you have the correct type of backflow preventer on the system, most preferably, an RP.

AI Inc
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
There are threads on here about it, do a search. Ive installed about 10 of them before.
They were not fertigators , maybe uniflow? There fert looks just like miracile grow.

irishgond
03-09-2009, 04:39 PM
OK so this is not for business...this is for my own home. It's already installed, it is just more cost efficient and comes in larger quantities if I don't buy the "Fertigator" brand liquid fertilizer.

DanaMac
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
OK so this is not for business...this is for my own home. It's already installed, it is just more cost efficient and comes in larger quantities if I don't buy the "Fertigator" brand liquid fertilizer.

Got it. Have no idea how to help you. Sorry.

bicmudpuppy
03-09-2009, 08:32 PM

When you start talking fertilizer injector pumps, the very first question a good rep is going to ask, before sending you toward one product or the other is WHAT product you wish to inject. The chemical properties of that product, abrasiveness, fluidity, and Ph all play important factors in what pump/injectors can be used and how efficient they will be doing the job. If the "cheaper" product is identical to the other, then there shouldn't be a problem. If the "cheaper" product isn't buffered for Ph, isn't diluted properly, or is more abrasive than the recommended product, then your application rates and longevity of your pump could be in question.

irishgond
03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
When you start talking fertilizer injector pumps, the very first question a good rep is going to ask, before sending you toward one product or the other is WHAT product you wish to inject. The chemical properties of that product, abrasiveness, fluidity, and Ph all play important factors in what pump/injectors can be used and how efficient they will be doing the job. If the "cheaper" product is identical to the other, then there shouldn't be a problem. If the "cheaper" product isn't buffered for Ph, isn't diluted properly, or is more abrasive than the recommended product, then your application rates and longevity of your pump could be in question.

Thanks for the post. I'm not necessarily looking for cheap as in quality. It is cheaper to buy in bulk etc but when going to a commercial landscape store I wasn't sure which product to use that wouldn't harm the injector. This is why I was hoping there was some in this forum that had fertigation experience and could lend advise. :)