PDA

View Full Version : Deer eating Yews

meth
03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Need some help guys - I have some large yews that are approx. 18 years old. They are mature and shaped nicely, until this winter that is. We never had problems with Deer until now - for some reason this year they have eaten them bare - will they gro back? Do I need to pull them out? It would be a shame since they are so mature and nice in the setting we have them. Plus after all this time it would be a hell of a job to get them out.

Any advice as to whether they will survive? If they do I will wrap them each winter going forward to protect them

Blmtlandscapes
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
the yews should be fine, they are really tough. In the future try some kind of deer repellent before the winter. A friend of mine said deerscram is a good product and you just sprinkle it around the shrubs. It gives out a fowl odor that the deers dont like but humans cant smell it. Im not sure though cause i never tried the product but there are definetly a couple different deer repellents out there.

loyd meeks
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
In our 18 years in deer country ( Cherokee County, Oklahoma) we have had many run in's with deer. We have used everything from mothballs,to hot pepper spray made from hot peppers. For young pines we use Irish spring soap. Betty softens it and rubs it on branches. Also uses plastic mesh and ties the soap to limbs. If you have them real bad our all around best is human urine. In height of rut I save urine and using a spray bottle spray things down. Betty had a beautiful bed of roses until the deer stripped everything but thorns one night.
I also found they don't like fishing line. In some areas we use rebar for post and wrap fishing line from bottom middle and top. They feel it but can't see it and stay back.

igotdiesel2
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Send the Deer to my house. I will gladly let them eat my Yews. Until I pull them out. -Jason

Uranus
03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I've tried deer repellents and the soap. Still ate my arbs. 3 years ago I spent 50 bucks on some blueberry netting and bought some of those green metal chain link fence posts. I made a fence all the way around the arbs and the deer have not touched them yet. My neighbor told me I was nuts going through all the trouble, but his last 2 arbs are now transparent. Mine are in the back of my yard so you dont notice the black netting. They are right on the wood line too.

AmsoilPower
03-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Fresh cut sweaty human hair in pantyhose!!!! Deer DO NOT like the smell of humans!!! Just ask us fellow hunters.:rolleyes:

White Gardens
03-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Get a couple of good dogs.

ALLPro Landscaping
03-10-2009, 02:52 AM
Or put up a temp deer fence for the season

The Elements Group
03-10-2009, 05:20 AM
urinate outside moreoften esp around the yews also human hair works and so does soap all mentioned above will work..... if not try a .306

meth
03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
would like to try the 306, however my meighbor may not appreciate it:) Like I said this is the first year that they have come to eat the yews so I never had to do anything previously. I hope its just a winter thing and I will put up some temp fencing around them for the winter - will probably look like crap but we'll see. I will also try the soap and maybe head outside a few times when I have to use the head!

Anyway - hopefully they will grow back - it would be an awful lot of work and expense to pull them and replant the area

btammo
03-10-2009, 05:00 PM
good luck getting them to grow back fully. I doubt they will but it depends on how much the deer ate. Even if they grow back they wont look as good as they did prior to the feast. Put a fence around them next year. Its easier than than wrapping each one.

humble1
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
i would shoot them. I always tell my daughter- God has a way of thining out the heard.
Whats that dad? They taste good on the grill.

lbmd1
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Hopefully your daughter hasn't seen Bambi yet or she would become a vegetarian.

Mike

mattfromNY
03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I prefer to use a regular livestock type galvanized fence, usually 2X4 rectangle holes. As opposed to the 'construction' black or orange fence I see so often used, or burlap. The livestock fencing doesn't show up, contrasting the colors of the landscape so much, and the burlap tends to weigh down from snow and ice, overall looking very crappy.
If deer are hungry enough, they will come right up and eat whether you've pi$$ed, $h!t or pulled your hair out and hung it all around. We live in very rural america, 100+ acres of woods behind my house, plenty for them to eat in the woods and two labs that love to chase deer at my house. I've still got deer tracks in my back yard, where they are eating my bushes every night in the winter.

meth
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies - I called a tree comapny who also specializes in fertilization, they claim that it will come back in time, however also want to sell me a $350 fertilization plan for the spring and summer period. We'll see, I'm not going to rush and pull them out, but man it pisses me off. I will make sure that I fence them off with something for next winter to limit the access from the deer and see if I can get them to fill in slowly but surely.

On top of it, my wife wants to know " how are you going to pick up all that deer crap in the yard" UH....... "Dear natures going to take care of that!"

humble1
03-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Hopefully your daughter hasn't seen Bambi yet or she would become a vegetarian.

Mike

HEY MIKE YOU KNOW THAT FILM ISNT IN MY COLLECTION, IM GOING TO PUSH YOU IN THE WATER NEXT SAT WHEN WE GO CLAMMING. :laugh:

meth
03-13-2009, 11:50 AM
thanks I will look into it

btammo
03-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies - I called a tree comapny who also specializes in fertilization, they claim that it will come back in time, however also want to sell me a $350 fertilization plan for the spring and summer period. We'll see, I'm not going to rush and pull them out, but man it pisses me off. I will make sure that I fence them off with something for next winter to limit the access from the deer and see if I can get them to fill in slowly but surely.

On top of it, my wife wants to know " how are you going to pick up all that deer crap in the yard" UH....... "Dear natures going to take care of that!"

Fertilization doesnt bring back deer damage. Dont waste your money.