PDA

View Full Version : head not getting water to it. wtf

tbettis
03-09-2009, 03:52 PM
i have a head thats not getting water to it in one particular zone. where do i start before i start digging(which i do not want to do). as to note the other 3 heads in this zone are spraying really strong. i take the head off and theres no water at all and im like wtf. head was properly working last summer and fall.

DanaMac
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
If there is a tree close enough by, roots could have grown and choked the pipe.
Could be clogged somewhere between the two heads.
Make sure that head is not on another zone. I've had that happen to me.
Construction or utility lines installed over the winter. Maybe contractors cut the pipe and plugged it off.
Frozen pipe, but it looks like you are in the south.

mitchgo
03-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree.. I get customers all the time stating this when it's actually just on a different zone.

Unfortunately you have to dig it up if that is not the case. Depending on the install of the head there are several 'elbow' joints. ( A 90 degree fitting) .. A Rock can lodge into that fitting completely blocking water flow.

So do a systematic diagnosis. Dig up the head. Unscrew it and check for any kind of debris. IF it's still clogged look at the first elbow. You have to keep working your self back untill you find the clog point.

I get Soooo frustrated when the funny pipe is like 10' away from the pvc!

AI Inc
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
If you used funny pipe and sbe fittings , there is a rock in the sbe elbow. Not the one on the bottom of the head , the other one at the end of the big pipe.

tbettis
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
i used funny pipe and sbe fittings on this install but how in the world could a rock get lunged in between the fittings all of the sudden? please explain the possibilities

DanaMac
03-09-2009, 04:31 PM
i used funny pipe and sbe fittings on this install but how in the world could a rock get lunged in between the fittings all of the sudden? please explain the possibilities

I've seen this happen. The rock was in there at the time of the install, BUT it was turned somewhat at the point it is lodged now, allowing enough water through at that time. It has probably now turned and is blocking the flow.

mitchgo
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
If you used funny pipe and sbe fittings , there is a rock in the sbe elbow. Not the one on the bottom of the head , the other one at the end of the big pipe.

Though the probability is higher that's not quite true. All depends on the size and angle of the rock or debris.. It could have flown right by the first elbow due to the angle but got lodged at the next one.
I'd feel like a idiot... Digging back two feet to the Sprinkler tee , cutting the funny pipe and taking out the swing elbow.. when there isn't anything there.
We all have our own ways.. I just like to be systematic.. I try not to assume much. I'd be making an ASS out of yUo and ME.

Sometimes It can take a while for a rock to move through the pipes..
That's why flushing before the final connection is so important.

tbettis
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Though the probability is higher that's not quite true. All depends on the size and angle of the rock or debris.. It could have flown right by the first elbow due to the angle but got lodged at the next one.
I'd feel like a idiot... Digging back two feet to the Sprinkler tee , cutting the funny pipe and taking out the swing elbow.. when there isn't anything there.
We all have our own ways.. I just like to be systematic.. I try not to assume much. I'd be making an ASS out of yUo and ME.

well its not a new install. its been in the ground for about 6months

Mike Leary
03-09-2009, 05:39 PM

I've had pebbles show up months after the completion of a system, in spite of me hammering the crew to tape the ends of the the pipes and shop-build the manifolds; they just creep in. :dizzy:

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
You got an acre of land you want to sell cheap?

bicmudpuppy
03-09-2009, 07:44 PM

Was I the only one that found this outrageously hilarious??

Stuttering Stan
03-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Was I the only one that found this outrageously hilarious??

I caught that too but didn't want to make an issue of it. Let's see, six months puts it back to about September and it has probably been winterized since October????. Maybe the winteization pushed the pebble. Crap happens,

CANADIAN MIKE
03-09-2009, 10:46 PM
is this the homeowner or an installer? If an installer, he hasn't been doing this for too long:laugh:

TRILAWNCARE
03-09-2009, 11:30 PM
is this the homeowner or an installer? If an installer, he hasn't been doing this for too long:laugh:

If you search for all threads started by the OP's you will find that the system has had problems from day one. Some of his other threads.

Zone will not shut off. (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=264930)

water spurring out of valve box (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=245976)

best booster pump to buy for very week water pressure? (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=190637)

It still is not known if his valve or the valve box was filled to the rim with mud. But I would presume his lack luster head is just one of many more problems to come.

GreenLight
03-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Is this head the last head on the run and tied to a threaded 90 or is it somewhere in the middle and on a threaded T?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-10-2009, 06:06 AM
If you search for all threads started by the OP's you will find that the system has had problems from day one. Some of his other threads.

Zone will not shut off. (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=264930)

water spurring out of valve box (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=245976)

best booster pump to buy for very week water pressure? (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=190637)

It still is not known if his valve or the valve box was filled to the rim with mud. But I would presume his lack luster head is just one of many more problems to come.

Nice sleuthing TriLawn. I'll let you run the FBI at my future compound.

mitchgo
03-10-2009, 06:34 AM
I love boots pic on the the 2nd thread. with the water flying out lol

AI Inc
03-10-2009, 07:15 AM

Well we dont use 2 ft of funny , more like 10" for us. He already has the head dug up, that means one yank and the reducing ell or saddle is pretty much exposed.And if it wasnt that it was either kinked funny pipe , ( that he will find out after the yank . Or a pipe pulled ( if polly ) over a rock or root that kinked it. If thats the case he needs it dug anyway.

AI Inc
03-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Seeing he is from AL , I should have asked if it is PVC. If so , Im thinking the screen at the bottom of the head is filled with pvc shavings.

TRILAWNCARE
03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Or a pipe pulled ( if polly ) over a rock or root that kinked it.

Will a root grow that quickly in 6-8 months to choke off a pipe????

AI Inc
03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Will a root grow that quickly in 6-8 months to choke off a pipe????

No , not a grow root, a pipe pulled over a root when install was put in. As the area compacted , it crushed to the kink to stop water flow. Not as likely as other scenerios listed.

TRILAWNCARE
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
No , not a grow root, a pipe pulled over a root when install was put in. As the area compacted , it crushed to the kink to stop water flow. Not as likely as other scenerios listed.
Gotcha......