PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for ya!

South Florida Lawns
03-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Today at a light with my left turn signal on the trailer brakes started coming on and off in sync with my signal. So when I took my foot off the brake to go the trailer would jerk till I shut off the signal.

Went to my shop unplugged the trailer and noticed with the left signal on all the lights flashed like my hazards were on, even the bed light on the back of the cab flashed. If I push the brake the green arrow on the dash stops flashing and just stays green. I have no burnt out lights on my truck or trailer. The right flasher performs as should. Time to get out the multi tester meter!

Mini man
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Bad Ground or short

South Florida Lawns
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I just hope its not the brake controller going bad. I paid a lot for that tekonsha.

WH401
03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
It's not the brake controller if the light on the truck was doing the same thing. Sometimes when a flasher is getting ready to go it will blink rapidly when activated, but I don't think that's your problem either.

South Florida Lawns
03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
No I know its not a bulb going I unplugged the whole left tail light from up under the bumper still did the same thing. Its not anything with the trailer plug as I unplugged all that stuff too. Its a short or something some where. All wires look fine though, no corrosion either. Its something with the flasher or something but its all one thing for the signals so I don't see how only one side is affected.

topsites
03-10-2009, 04:59 AM
One silly little thing to do would be to ensure the connection between
trailer and truck at the hitch, where it plugs in, is secure.

Those plugs do come loose, although you probably did already check it.

02DURAMAX
03-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Yeah something is messed up there!

Its ganna be fun finding it!

Merlin300
03-10-2009, 11:24 AM
On the trailer where the light harness is, there should be a ground wire bolted or screwed the trailer frame. Make sure that wire is not broke or came off. Also, take the wire off the frame if it is still connected. Take a screw driver or knife and scrape it down to bare metal and reinstall.

If that don't work, there should also be a ground on your truck harness in the back. Do the above things to that also. You could also check inside the connectors, both truck and trailer. Those screws have been known to come loose and allow the wire to come out.

It sounds like a ground to me. Good luck.