PDA

View Full Version : Only for PVC users?

gusbuster
03-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Had to run to Home crapo last sunday to get a part that I needed working on a friends home here in Stockton. Happened to walk by were all the pvc pipes were being sold. The price caught my eye.

20 ft sch 40 pipe, 2.23. Heck, my supplier is selling it for 4.40.

Sign of the times? Overstocked?

Just trying to figure out if this is a fluke or just the store trying to move some product.

DanaMac
03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I know the poly pipe at HD is NOT the same as the stuff I get at Ewing or the other suppliers. More brittle. I won't touch it even though it is cheaper.

Tom Tom
03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Hows the quality of HD pvc pipe?

I know the poly they buy is usually the cheapest crapola off some slow boat from somewhere

mitchgo
03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Do they actually sell them in 20' sections?

I notice they are always cut and just look really ugly

Mike Leary
03-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Sch 40 can get brittle siting in the sun; I always spec'd fresh pipe.

bicmudpuppy
03-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Haven't bought any HD pipe in a long time, but when the market gets crazy, they often don't "keep up". Their pricing is based on inventory. They tend to carry more sch pipe vs class pipe. Your local ACE will be the same situation. If pipe prices have climbed recently, and you don't need more than a stick or two, you can often get a bargain at the hardware store.

mowerman111
03-09-2009, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=bicmudpuppy;2838422]Haven't bought any HD pipe in a long time, but when the market gets crazy, they often don't "keep up". Their pricing is based on inventory.

Exactly, what the manager here at Ewing told me the other day, some days he can beat there prices somedays he can't.

GreenLight
03-10-2009, 12:49 AM
I have never been in a home depot that sells 20 ft pvc pieces...That being said, I very rarely use schedule 40 pipe. Class 200 does just fine down here.

mitchgo
03-10-2009, 12:59 AM
bah. I hope you install it DEEP!

GreenLight
03-10-2009, 01:18 AM
No deeper than normal. We are generally 12 inches on our trenches, but the bottom line is schedule 40 is simply not necessary down here for 95 percent of the residential jobs. In fact, John Deere and Ewing here carry Class 200 at a ratio of about 10:1 over schedule 40 in Birmingham. You would never be able to compete with competition installing 1000 feet of schedule 40 on a 8 zone residential job when EVERYBODY else is using 200 and beating you on pipe costs almost 3 - 1. Luxury of being in a climate that doesn't have long periods of time with really hard freezes I suppose.

mowerman111
03-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Same here, nobody hardly uses sch 40 only for the pressure lines and sometimes not even then :hammerhead: I've done some repairs on systems were they had used class 120 talk about thin walled pipe you can't hardly cut the stuff it just wants crush.

GreenLight
03-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Same here, nobody hardly uses sch 40 only for the pressure lines and sometimes not even then :hammerhead: I've done some repairs on systems were they had used class 120 talk about thin walled pipe you can't hardly cut the stuff it just wants crush.

Im not familiar with 120, once in a blue moon we will see some 160 on a job, yet that is rare.

hoskm01
03-10-2009, 04:40 AM
you can't hardly cut the stuff it just wants crush.

Orange Crush?

http://www.best-norman-rockwell-art.com/images/1921-Norman-Rockwell-advertisement-Orange-Crush-Young-Girl-with-Orange-Crush-400-Digimarc.jpg

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-10-2009, 06:05 AM
As I have said many times sch 40 is overrated. Class 200 is fine and dandy.

AI Inc
03-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Haven't bought any HD pipe in a long time, but when the market gets crazy, they often don't "keep up". Their pricing is based on inventory. They tend to carry more sch pipe vs class pipe. Your local ACE will be the same situation. If pipe prices have climbed recently, and you don't need more than a stick or two, you can often get a bargain at the hardware store.

I noticed that when copper was real high. Was doing a repair and grabbed a stick down the street from the job. $2 a ft less then supplier.

Dripit good
03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Poly, pvc and head prices are coming down from last year. Being (a commodity) made from a petroleum base product the prices are dropping like gas\fuel did.

DanaMac
03-10-2009, 08:13 AM
I noticed that when copper was real high. Was doing a repair and grabbed a stick down the street from the job. $2 a ft less then supplier.

I do get a lot of my copper pipe and basic copper fittings from HD.

I was at a little Q&A class at Ewing last week. manager came straight out and said we could buy poly less expensive at HD, and showed us why. He held up a 4' piece of poly, with a 3' crack in it. Bad pipe. That's all there was to it.

AI Inc
03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Everything HD sells is low quality. I bought a delta faucet there and it leaked right out of the box. A plumber explained to me that HD tells its suppliers what it is willing to pay. So delta knew it couldnt make it in the US so they bought faucets from China, stamped their name on it to be sold exclusivly at HD.

mowerman111
03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Orange Crush?

http://www.best-norman-rockwell-art.com/images/1921-Norman-Rockwell-advertisement-Orange-Crush-Young-Girl-with-Orange-Crush-400-Digimarc.jpg

Leave one little word out and the grammar police show up :laugh:

gusbuster
03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I was just using sch 40 as the example. Class pipe was also pretty cheap.

Can't speak for poly pipe because I don't use it.

BUT, sch 4o pipe is sch 40 pipe as well as class 200 is class 200.

So you would pay $2 more from your supplier just because.

I guess it does depend on where you are located. The smaller HD in this area don't carry 20 Ft pvc pipe.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I was just using sch 40 as the example. Class pipe was also pretty cheap.

Can't speak for poly pipe because I don't use it.

BUT, sch 4o pipe is sch 40 pipe as well as class 200 is class 200.

So you would pay $2 more from your supplier just because.

I guess it does depend on where you are located. The smaller HD in this area don't carry 20 Ft pvc pipe.

Stay with the CA drought thread. I know from previous posts you have strong and well educated thoughts on that matter. I find the whole CA water thing very interesting since we in TX are about 10 years behind you in the water historical timeline.

GreenLight
03-10-2009, 04:36 PM
No deeper than normal. We are generally 12 inches on our trenches, but the bottom line is schedule 40 is simply not necessary down here for 95 percent of the residential jobs. In fact, John Deere and Ewing here carry Class 200 at a ratio of about 10:1 over schedule 40 in Birmingham. You would never be able to compete with competition installing 1000 feet of schedule 40 on a 8 zone residential job when EVERYBODY else is using 200 and beating you on pipe costs almost 3 - 1. Luxury of being in a climate that doesn't have long periods of time with really hard freezes I suppose.

Sorry, I meant by 1/3 not 3-1...

Kiril
03-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Everything HD sells is low quality. I bought a delta faucet there and it leaked right out of the box. A plumber explained to me that HD tells its suppliers what it is willing to pay. So delta knew it couldnt make it in the US so they bought faucets from China, stamped their name on it to be sold exclusivly at HD.

Ya have to know what to look for, especially when buying stuff like that. If you can match a manufacturer part number to the product at HD, then it is the same thing you will get at any supply shop.

Problem is, many manufacturers make products specifically for big boxes like HD, BUT the part number is different.

Always check the part number on stuff like faucets, lights, etc...

Kiril
03-11-2009, 09:58 AM

Ours up here carry 20's, but I am hesitant on the manufacturer of the pipe, and the fittings are not Spears, and I am a Spears snob, even if I had some problems with their products last year.

AI Inc
03-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Ever use Lasco?

Kiril
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Ever use Lasco?

Yes .... that would be my second choice.

gusbuster
03-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Ours up here carry 20's, but I am hesitant on the manufacturer of the pipe, and the fittings are not Spears, and I am a Spears snob, even if I had some problems with their products last year.

You got my fascination going.......

Sched 40 or 80 fittings, in order to be called that has to meet industry standards......so what is the difference between and whether it is spears, Lasco or even the other brand name?

In 30 years in this trade, I have yet to see either pipe or fittings fail other than being exposed to the elements or piss poor gluing practices.

Though I understand, between the manufactures, the various fittings may have more or less pressure specs, for the pressures that I see in both the commercial and residential settings, I have yet seen a failure due to piss poor manufacturing other than on marlex fittings.

Where are you seeing pressures exceeding more than 80 psi?

Kiril
03-12-2009, 01:52 PM
You got my fascination going.......

Sched 40 or 80 fittings, in order to be called that has to meet industry standards......so what is the difference between and whether it is spears, Lasco or even the other brand name?

In 30 years in this trade, I have yet to see either pipe or fittings fail other than being exposed to the elements or piss poor gluing practices.

Though I understand, between the manufactures, the various fittings may have more or less pressure specs, for the pressures that I see in both the commercial and residential settings, I have yet seen a failure due to piss poor manufacturing other than on marlex fittings.

Quality of the plastic, socket depth, method of manufacturing are the main items I look at for fittings.

As far as pressure, I consider myself lucky to see 65 psi at the POC.

Mike Leary
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I had a sling of sch 40 delivered once where the ends worked fine, but the
centers were a smaller diameter and sloppy on the tees and ells; needless to
say, I never used that brand again and made the branch come pick up the
sling. Spears and Lasco are good brands and I freely mixed and matched.

DanaMac
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM

I've seen residential systems here with no PRV and are at 100-120 psi. Older systems, older homes.

AI Inc
03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Spears and Lasco are good brands and I freely mixed and matched.

Pretty much the only 2 Ive ever used.Have confidence in them.

Wet_Boots
03-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Dura seems to be good stuff, and their nesting fittings are very useful at times. As far as cheap stuff goes, there could be deficiencies in manufacture. Too much heat, maybe. Or maybe the reverse.