PDA

View Full Version : 19 and and growing!!!!!!!!!!!

scagmower
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
hey there!!!

I started mowing yards just to make a little extra money back when i was about 14 years old with a small toro push mower! since then i now have 5 full time employees, three on the mowing crew, and two on the grounds maintenance/landscaping crew. Its been a fun ride so far, and i love doing what i do. Im currently a part time student studying horticulture, life can be kind of hectic running a business that is currently serving over 70 clients residential and commercial. The money is unreal, and im only 19 yrs old......believe it or not im grossing more than my mom and dad combined! the business is an investment that just keeps growing!!! good luck to everybody else on the upcoming year:waving:

murrayslandscaping22
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
congrats man sounds like ur doing real good for yourself. this is where i hope to be some time soon who knos...lets see some pictures of ur set up sounds nice

DLAWNS
03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Good for you, man. Keep up the good work and welcome to Lawnsite! I would also like to some pics of your setup.

deere615
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
yeah get us some pics of your equipment and work!

meyere60
03-10-2009, 12:43 AM
wow good for you. iv been doing landscaping for 9 years for c/a landscaping/snowplowing, and 5 years for myself and my twin.our company is bower landscaping/snowplowing near chicago il. i wish i had your clients. do you snowplow in the winter, or what do you do in the winter.

scagmower
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
yeah well this was are first year doing snow! we did all right i bought a western plow, and a snow ex salt spreader, and spent about 6 grand on that set up, and after expenses of buying equipment i made about three thousand dollars ...but next year will be all profit, and i hope to get more commercial accounts for the upcoming winter! Hey meyere60 one question....where do you buy your salt or do u know of a place to buy salt by the bulk or in large quanitites???

thanks agian Myere60 and it was nice meeting ya:usflag:

scagmower
03-10-2009, 01:12 PM
hey!!!

heres are some random pictures of my phone.....all try and get some more pictures of some of my other equipment...just give me somtime.....the dump truck and the enclosed mowing trailer have logos now!!!! let me know what u guys think? all also try and get a group photo of my employees!!!! thanks agian fellow green industry workers and it was meeting u all!!!

meyere60
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
i get my bagged salt from h&e, and i get my bulk salt from shroaders material, or graff gardens

meyere60
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
nice equipment scag man. i think scag is the best. my brother said nice chevy. i like ford my self. but nice stuff.

deere615
03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Those are both real nice chevys! love the jd too

4.3mudder
03-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Dude, that is an awesome trailer, very sweet black. I like the chrome all over it too. Wish my JD was that big, I have one a bit smaller, comes in handy for those small jobs. Good luck in the season!

meyere60
03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
i wish i had your equipment. i have 2 36 inch scag walk behind mowers.1 echo hand held blower, 1 echo back pack blower, 2 echo high tourqe weed wackers, 2 echo bush trimmers, 1 stihl chain saw, 1 craftsman chain saw. 2 toro super recyclers 21 inch walk behind mowers, 3 ariens 21 inch walk behind mowers, my 94 f250 4x4 with meyer c 7.5 plow, my brothers 1977 k20 with 7.5 western plow, and all the tools for landscaping. i wish i had your trailers, and riders, and new trucks, and of course the john deers and and and and i wish i had it all. lol. some day rite.

DRBLawnBuster
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice equipment but lets see some more pics of the scags!!!

scagmower
03-11-2009, 07:28 PM
nice equipment scag man. i think scag is the best. my brother said nice chevy. i like ford my self. but nice stuff.

hey thanks

yeah scag are nice mowers, there dependable and have treated me well. Fords got some nice trucks too, i got one older ford, just a good old work truck, but chevys my truck. Thanks agian for the comments :usflag:

scagmower
03-11-2009, 07:35 PM
i wish i had your equipment. i have 2 36 inch scag walk behind mowers.1 echo hand held blower, 1 echo back pack blower, 2 echo high tourqe weed wackers, 2 echo bush trimmers, 1 stihl chain saw, 1 craftsman chain saw. 2 toro super recyclers 21 inch walk behind mowers, 3 ariens 21 inch walk behind mowers, my 94 f250 4x4 with meyer c 7.5 plow, my brothers 1977 k20 with 7.5 western plow, and all the tools for landscaping. i wish i had your trailers, and riders, and new trucks, and of course the john deers and and and and i wish i had it all. lol. some day rite.

haha oh yeah you just got be competitive, and do good work and you ll grow each year. Thats what ive been doing. I just started with a push mower, and really most of my advertising is word of mouth. just do a good job, and people will pass your name on. I go the extra mile when i do my work. ive got striping kits on my lawn mowers, and you just gotta do a professional job, or you mys well say good bye to your clients.

scagmower
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Nice equipment but lets see some more pics of the scags!!!

haha ok yeah give me sometime, all try and get some picts when i service them

scagmower
03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Dude, that is an awesome trailer, very sweet black. I like the chrome all over it too. Wish my JD was that big, I have one a bit smaller, comes in handy for those small jobs. Good luck in the season!

thanks man yeah i had to pay an extra 400 dollars for the chrome and LED lights haha but i thought it would be worth it. yeah those JD s are nice, the hydro static drive saves alot of time......Good luck to you too man:waving:

meyere60
03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
i have the echo srm 261 high torque weed wackers, there a tad heavier for every day grass cutting, but when you get that tall grass in the spring, or those hard clean ups, these wackers are worth the little extra weight.

scagmower
03-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Those are both real nice chevys! love the jd too

thanks man....yeah i like your chevy too!

meyere60
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
ps ill try to send some pics as well. i really need to get a good trailer, just a 6 x 12, and later a 6 x 16 foot, maybe a dump trailer. i also want 2 scag turf tigers, riders, probally a 48.and a 36. saving all my money this season to by a good used truck, a new meyer 8ft lot pro. i also want to get a western 8 ft pro uni mount plow for my brothers truck, my dads buddy has the uni mount plow with every thing, it was new in 99. it looks like brand new, and only wants me to do the labor, and pay for the materials on a retaining wall that is 2 bricks high, and only 15 feet wide, so that is a steal of a deal. good to talk to you guys. holler at me later. im making more flyers. lol i ran out today.

4.3mudder
03-11-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks man yeah i had to pay an extra 400 dollars for the chrome and LED lights haha but i thought it would be worth it. yeah those JD s are nice, the hydro static drive saves alot of time......Good luck to you too man:waving:

Awww, I also have the hydrostatic. No shifting, and only one fluid to check for hydraulics, power steering, and drive wheel tranmission. I also run super swampers on my rears :hammerhead::hammerhead:. Those tires are high dollar new so I had a friend of mine getting rid of a set of his off his truck so I got them from him and used just 2.

meyere60
03-11-2009, 09:57 PM
i tried a 54 hydro scag walk, and rider for a couple months, my friend would let me use it on the weekends. how nice not having to pull them back to turn. the zero turn is awesome. wish i had 1. my 36 scag walk behinds do just find for my residential lawns i have now. i want to get into more commercial. i only have a couple big accounts, that's why i use his hydro scags on the weekends cause there bigger, and while the business are not open.

scagmower
03-18-2009, 09:39 PM
heres some picts of the maintenance crew, were in full swing now with my 4 employees hard at it. Were doing alot of mulching and spring clean ups, but in about ten days were starting a huge landscaping job that will take around 20 to 25 days to complete, so im thinking about hiring one more guy full time, because mowing and doing all of this is going to be overwhelming with only 4 employees. also pictured is our logo...what ya think???

meyere60
03-19-2009, 12:42 AM
nice logo, and like the shirts. me and my twins company have similar shirts, and are the same color . nice work.

ClippersLC
03-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey man sounds like your doing great, you have the same starting off just to make side money story like i did, i never got to your size i topped out at about 35 residential accounts and put a cap on it. curious what software or program do you use to keep up with scheduling, customers, money? keep on trucking man, like you said lawn care it self is an investment that keeps on giving and seemingly never ends. i went from 8 lawns to the 35 over the course of one summer and have had the same lawns for the past 3 years.

meyere60
03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
35 lawns for 1 or 2 people isnt bad anyways, hope you guys have a good season

scagmower
03-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey man sounds like your doing great, you have the same starting off just to make side money story like i did, i never got to your size i topped out at about 35 residential accounts and put a cap on it. curious what software or program do you use to keep up with scheduling, customers, money? keep on trucking man, like you said lawn care it self is an investment that keeps on giving and seemingly never ends. i went from 8 lawns to the 35 over the course of one summer and have had the same lawns for the past 3 years.

Hey ClippersLC yeah the program im currently using is Microsoft Excel spread sheet, and then just a planner book, this has been working out fine for me as of right now. But yeah this year were extremely busy with landscaping, and thats what ive targeted for marketing this year instead of mowing, because i personally think there is alot more money in landscaping, Were already booked for over 2 and 1/2 months of landscaping/Maintenance!!!!! but best of luck to you with your upcoming season!!

scagmower
03-21-2009, 09:29 PM
nice logo, and like the shirts. me and my twins company have similar shirts, and are the same color . nice work.

thanks man yeah good luck with your upcoming green season!!:waving:

albhb3
03-22-2009, 02:27 AM
:rolleyes:Sounds like its time to hire mom and dad and show em who the real boss is

meyere60
03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
thanks man yeah good luck with your upcoming green season!!:waving:

thanx alot. me and my twin hope to get more work here soon, kind of slow with the bad economy here close to chicago i guess, or maybe its our loud trucks with dual exhaust. lol just kidding, the mowing is fine, but the landscaping is slow for us which sucks. hopefully the ad in the news paper will help soon. good luck, and God bless to the season a head.

meyere60
03-22-2009, 03:30 PM
:rolleyes:Sounds like its time to hire mom and dad and show em who the real boss is

dude says hire mom and dad, lol, what a smart a^^ lol.

scagmower
03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
haha my dads actually been helping about twice a wk, because hes been slow with the construction business, hopefully things pick up for him, but i dont mind the extra helping hand at this time of year!!!!

meyere60
03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
i wish i could give my dad extra work snow plowing, but doing landscaping i doubt it, hes out of shape,lol. your a good guy giving back to your dad. i thought you were being a smart a?? hope things work out for your family. happy cutting scag man.

scagmower
03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
i wish i could give my dad extra work snow plowing, but doing landscaping i doubt it, hes out of shape,lol. your a good guy giving back to your dad. i thought you were being a smart a?? hope things work out for your family. happy cutting scag man.

yeah hes a good guy, and i owe alot of my success to them, my mom also helps out alot with book keeping too. ahaha, and my dad is my main mechanic, he can fix anything, and ive learned alot from them both and think very highly of them. hey good luck to you too meyere60 hope its a good yr for ya

verant
03-31-2009, 06:44 PM
how do u like ur Scags? how are the performance of the baggers if you have one? please comment how you like it, i may be looking for one soon. Which model do u like best

scagmower
03-31-2009, 07:09 PM
how do u like ur Scags? how are the performance of the baggers if you have one? please comment how you like it, i may be looking for one soon. Which model do u like best

Hey verant, i cant say enough good about them, the one i got has over 1500 hrs on it, and it still runs top. Ive got three of them 2 wildcats, and one tiger cub. I really like them all. it just depends what you prefer. The wildcats i got are liquid cooled with kaw 26 horse, 61 inch deck just bought another last fall, but overall ive never had any really serious problems with them. knock on wood both wildcats havnt had one problem with them but they still have lower hrs on them, but the tiger cub has had very little problems too, only a few belts have broke over the period of 1500 hrs on the machine, But if you just maintain them they ll last a long time. we run ares pretty hard!!!! however the performance of the baggers i wouldnt know, i dont have baggers for them, but i do have stripping kits on them that just makes a yard look amazing!!!!

verant
03-31-2009, 07:26 PM
thanks for the feedback....yeah im thinking about the tiger cub or the wildcat with 52 in decks....i need to find out the pricing from a dealer tho soon....cause i have no idea what the prices are yet. unless you would know for this size of machine?

scagmower
03-31-2009, 07:32 PM
thanks for the feedback....yeah im thinking about the tiger cub or the wildcat with 52 in decks....i need to find out the pricing from a dealer tho soon....cause i have no idea what the prices are yet. unless you would know for this size of machine?

i wana say i paid around 7900 not including tax on the wildcat last fall

lifetree
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Very nice equipment and good luck for continued success !!

scagmower
03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Very nice equipment and good luck for continued success !!

hey thanks, best of luck to you!!!:usflag:

830z-track
04-10-2009, 06:24 AM
part-timed w/a friend of mine for several years. went full time with him last year. the 3 of us mowed 229 accounts! I have now started my own mowing service, LAWN PROS. Scott and Tommy are mowing 100+ and Steven and myself are caring for around the same. talk about putting yourself out there... 2008 ford f250 sd 4wd diesel xl, 2008 18' carhauler trailer, 04 16' mower trailer w/ toolboxes, trimmer racks, etc., 2008 john deere z830a, 2006 john deere 737 (both with 60" decks), 2 husq. 150bt blowers, 1-323, 1-325, 3-326 trimmers and a 326 pole saw. 359 and 455 husq. can saws.....and one odd ball...a 150 echo hedge trimmer. factor in 2,000,000 in gen. liability, inland marine, and full cov. on truck/trailer.....strapped and scared :)
wish me luck, and continued success.
thanks for listening

scagmower
04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
part-timed w/a friend of mine for several years. went full time with him last year. the 3 of us mowed 229 accounts! I have now started my own mowing service, LAWN PROS. Scott and Tommy are mowing 100+ and Steven and myself are caring for around the same. talk about putting yourself out there... 2008 ford f250 sd 4wd diesel xl, 2008 18' carhauler trailer, 04 16' mower trailer w/ toolboxes, trimmer racks, etc., 2008 john deere z830a, 2006 john deere 737 (both with 60" decks), 2 husq. 150bt blowers, 1-323, 1-325, 3-326 trimmers and a 326 pole saw. 359 and 455 husq. can saws.....and one odd ball...a 150 echo hedge trimmer. factor in 2,000,000 in gen. liability, inland marine, and full cov. on truck/trailer.....strapped and scared :)
wish me luck, and continued success.
thanks for listening

wow well sounds like your doing fine. Keep doing quality work and you ll come out on top! thats what i do. Just satisfy the customer. good luck to ya and the rest of your career!!!

meyere60
04-16-2009, 01:56 PM
good luck with your buis, and this season ,hopefully the economy comes around.

scagmower
04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
good luck with your buis, and this season ,hopefully the economy comes around.

hey thanks

so far so good for me....busiest year for me....hope the same for you man..good luck

HappyGrasslawncare
05-26-2009, 09:41 PM
no equipment pics?

Good luck this season man!

scagmower
06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
no equipment pics?

Good luck this season man!

go to my profile, ive got a album of photos there of my equipment, also theres a thread floating around with most of my picts under pictures thread called 19 and growing:usflag: