PDA

View Full Version : Toro Rain Sensor

lawnproslawncare
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Anybody have experience with the toro wireless rain sensor. I'm looking at installing them at a couple properties. Just wondering if anyone has any +/- experiences with them.

DanaMac
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I have. It's OK. had a problem with two of the Irritrol ones that are now toro. Had to return them. But depending on which model you're talking about, I've installed a few. I've heard good and bad on all the wireless ones. and the wired ones too.

dougaustreim
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Rain Sensors are like any add ons, they seem to give more trouble than the basic component. Nevertheless, as rain sensors go the TORO Wireless is as good an any. We've used esclusively the last several years whenever we've needed to install one, and have had almost no problems. Beats having to string another wire. The biggest problem with rain sensors is matching the sensitivity of the sensor to the expectations of the client. One wants it to shut off after two drops of rain, and the next one wants it to allow watering the day after a 2" rain.

DanaMac
03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I think I am going to try the wireless Hunter one this year. just to compare.

Waterit
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM

I've been using it for a while now, works well. Also use the combo rain/freeze wireless, same results.

lawnproslawncare
03-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the input, I've been throwing around the idea of marketing these this year to help customers save some money.

HokieAg07
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I use the Irritrol wireless and have no issues with them.

AI Inc
03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Im going to be going with solar sync instead of rain sensors from here on in.

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Im going to be going with solar sync instead of rain sensors from here on in.

I'm going to buy one today and have my tech install it at the shop on our test controller. This way we can both try it out. I don't think he's ever installed a wireless sensor before.

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm going to buy one today and have my tech install it at the shop on our test controller. This way we can both try it out. I don't think he's ever installed a wireless sensor before.

I forgot the solar sync only works with a couple Hunter controllers. Guess I won't pick one up today. rarely see or use a Hunter controller. I did install a few Pro-Cs when I was still installing though. still like the ESP for resi.

Kiril
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I forgot the solar sync only works with a couple Hunter controllers. Guess I won't pick one up today. rarely see or use a Hunter controller. I did install a few Pro-Cs when I was still installing though. still like the ESP for resi.

Awwww, come on .... be the guinea pig.

sprinklerchris
03-11-2009, 10:55 AM

You'll regret it within a month.

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
You'll regret it within a month.

How so? I've heard good things from local guys about it. I've mainly used the Irritrol and a couple of the toros

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Awwww, come on .... be the guinea pig.

If I had a sprinkler system, I might do it. :)

Kiril
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Not having a sprinkler system gets you major bonus points. :clapping:

AI Inc
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM

about 90% of contractors here install pro c,s . Those who dont are the odd guy out.

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Pretty funny. I picked up a toro sensor today so one of my techs could get used to installing and setting it at the shop instead of in the field. This particular supplier did not prefer the Hunter wireless. Later in the day, I was talking with another supplier, and asked the price of the Irritrol (they did not have the toro) and the Hunter. He only had one Irritrol in stock, and said they rarely sell those. They mainly sell the Hunter sensors.