PDA

View Full Version : anybody carry everything in truck

hondarancher4435
03-10-2009, 11:17 PM
well i will be getting my permit in about a month and will be getting a truck. i was planning on hauling everything on my trailer but recently i have been thinking it may be easier to carry it all in the truck. this way i could park in the school parking lot. i am solo so i don't have that much. just a gravely pro 50 which may not even fit in my truck. two trimmers and a blower along with some hand tools and the such. i was thinking build a stake body with logos on the sides and racks on inside for handhelds and i have even been thinking about building a fold out tailgate ramp. if anyone does this post a pic of your setup.

topsites
03-11-2009, 05:39 AM
I don't mean to rain on your parade or be all melodramatic but ramps and pickup truck beds
make for a dangerous loading recipe... If it wasn't for that heavy lawn mower I would do it
this way myself but I am not chancing a tire or ramp slip under those conditions because it
could easily result in severe injury and in some cases even death.

hondarancher4435
03-11-2009, 11:05 PM
trust me i have ridden atv's all my life and i know all to well how dangerous ramps are that is why i was thinking of building a tailgate ramp. i have even been tossing around the idea of building myself a flatbed but i will have to think about that.

AVLC
03-12-2009, 12:17 AM
what kind of truck are you talking about. One of our trucks is an 88 toyota flatbed its great for mowing don't have to worry about a trailer and can pull in anywhere and not worry. We use a 60'' ferris hydro with velke and have two pull out planks and don't have any problems. But don't know about other things because we got plenty of other trucks for that but I don't see it being a problem.
Also very inexpensive set-up

hondarancher4435
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
sorry kind of lost track of this thread i am mainly looking at F-250/350 and i have had thoughts of a flatbed but not sure i want to loose the stock look and the functionality of the bed

tyler_mott85
03-25-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm looking into the same question, myself, handarancher. I have just a half-ton but I also only have a push mower for this year. I do some bagging and need space to haul clippings and stuff so without a trailer I'm having to think about a way to get stuff around neatly without just piling it into the bed. Here's what I'm pondering. I know it will be a little different from what your needs are but it may help.

I am wanting to get trimmer and blower racks and custom mount them to the bed sides of the truck. So that all of my handhelds are up out of the bed. I'd like to find a way to keep my fuel and trimmer line up and out of the bed as well but that may not happen.

As for the mower right now I do the standard 8ft 2x8 ramps with the metal tops on them. They work fine for loading the push mower but that is still space being taken out of the bed.

Right now I am thinking about finding/making one of those cargo-holders that fit into a 2" receiver that is wide enough for the mower and make a pull-out ramp that will fold down onto the passenger side of the truck to unload the mower and hopefully keep the entire bed clear!

Your idea is feasible and I am with you on it would be a lot nice to be able to do whatever without a trailer. Let alone having a place to store the trailer when you're not using it. (I live in an apartment) Your only problem would be the walkbehind. If it would fit in the bed of a full-size truck it would be very tight. 48" sheets of plywood fit but I do not know about another 2.5 to 3". Measure your deck exactly to know what you need for it to fit.

And if you are going for a 4x4 truck the ramp you'd need to safely load and unload the mower would be quite long. But I'd think with a little ingenuity you could design a bi-fold ramp that replaces the tailgate and uses springs on the sides of the beds to assist in lowering and lifting the gate.

Good Luck!

hondarancher4435
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm looking into the same question, myself, handarancher. I have just a half-ton but I also only have a push mower for this year. I do some bagging and need space to haul clippings and stuff so without a trailer I'm having to think about a way to get stuff around neatly without just piling it into the bed. Here's what I'm pondering. I know it will be a little different from what your needs are but it may help.

I am wanting to get trimmer and blower racks and custom mount them to the bed sides of the truck. So that all of my handhelds are up out of the bed. I'd like to find a way to keep my fuel and trimmer line up and out of the bed as well but that may not happen.

As for the mower right now I do the standard 8ft 2x8 ramps with the metal tops on them. They work fine for loading the push mower but that is still space being taken out of the bed.

Right now I am thinking about finding/making one of those cargo-holders that fit into a 2" receiver that is wide enough for the mower and make a pull-out ramp that will fold down onto the passenger side of the truck to unload the mower and hopefully keep the entire bed clear!

Your idea is feasible and I am with you on it would be a lot nice to be able to do whatever without a trailer. Let alone having a place to store the trailer when you're not using it. (I live in an apartment) Your only problem would be the walkbehind. If it would fit in the bed of a full-size truck it would be very tight. 48" sheets of plywood fit but I do not know about another 2.5 to 3". Measure your deck exactly to know what you need for it to fit.

And if you are going for a 4x4 truck the ramp you'd need to safely load and unload the mower would be quite long. But I'd think with a little ingenuity you could design a bi-fold ramp that replaces the tailgate and uses springs on the sides of the beds to assist in lowering and lifting the gate.

Good Luck!

yes that is a concern i know it will not fit inbetween the wheelwells so i am not sure how hard it would be to put it up on top of them. just have to wait and see.

i also plan to do the handheld racks on the sides like you. one thing you may consider for the gas and line is to build a rack in the front of the bed like you would find on the front of a landscape trailer.

KrayzKajun
03-26-2009, 05:17 PM
just buy small trailer!!

hondarancher4435
03-26-2009, 05:48 PM
i have a trailer but like it says in the original post i can't park in the school lot with a trailer and it would take me forever to find a spot to park my trailer by my school

J.A.G LAWNCARE
03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
just get 2 school parking passes and park it ..................

J.A.G LAWNCARE
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
i would not leave all my tools in the parking lot all day anyway..........

South Florida Lawns
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I started out with a 32" and 21" mower in the back of my truck. I also had a blower a trimmer and a edger in there as well. I could even close the tailgate.