PDA

View Full Version : brakes rotted off

CLARK LAWN
03-10-2009, 11:40 PM
this morning when i was on my way to my shop my brakes started grinding, get to the shop pull it in and pull the wheels i found both inside rear brake pads had rotted apart. drivers side was almost all the way gone and pass. side was completly gone, the pistons were rubbing on the rotor. This is on a2000 F250 4X4 superduty. i found out this is a common thing on these trucks, so if you have one in that era take a look.

TXNSLighting
03-11-2009, 12:26 AM
got any pictures? If you keep up on your brake maintenance, this shouldnt happen..

Gravel Rat
03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
All bonded brake pads and brake shoes will throw the lining off the metal backing if the rust forms bettween the brake lining and the metal backing.

Now if you have no metal backing left and the caliper pistons are touching the brake rotors you have been driving with bad brakes for a long time :nono:

You should be inspecting the brakes every 6 months or when ever you do a greasing or when you rotate your tires.

The calipers will probably have to be replaced with the pistons being over extended. Change out the brake rotors too. Buy Factory Ford rotors the factory brake pads are good as well or use Raybestos.

No its not a common problem with Ford trucks for what you found its just lack of maintenance. There was a guy in the area he ran his back brakes down to there was no side on the back brake rotor. The inside edge was nothing but cooling fins :dizzy:

topsites
03-11-2009, 05:32 AM
You may want to, especially since I assume you have all the hardware removed,
inspect the outer rear differential (or is it rear axle) seals!

Because that's what happened on my truck, the seal gave way and grease leaked into the rear
brake system, the end result was similar to yours, quite an expensive repair I might add.

CLARK LAWN
03-11-2009, 10:10 AM
All bonded brake pads and brake shoes will throw the lining off the metal backing if the rust forms bettween the brake lining and the metal backing.

Now if you have no metal backing left and the caliper pistons are touching the brake rotors you have been driving with bad brakes for a long time :nono:

You should be inspecting the brakes every 6 months or when ever you do a greasing or when you rotate your tires.

The calipers will probably have to be replaced with the pistons being over extended. Change out the brake rotors too. Buy Factory Ford rotors the factory brake pads are good as well or use Raybestos.

No its not a common problem with Ford trucks for what you found its just lack of maintenance. There was a guy in the area he ran his back brakes down to there was no side on the back brake rotor. The inside edge was nothing but cooling fins :dizzy:

the brakes were still over 50%. I have a friend that owns a auto repair shop and he told me he does one or two of these a week. the metal around the piston rots away. you cant see it unless you remove the caliper. the lining from the one on the pass. side was jamed between the rotor and the backing plate.

TXNSLighting
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I have never heard of this problem nor experienced this and ive had several superduties. It must be regional.

Gravel Rat
03-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I never heard of that either of the metal rusting on the caliper. The rubber boot is supposed to keep the water and crap out. Unless your running around on calipers with the rubber boot damaged.

CLARK LAWN
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I never heard of that either of the metal rusting on the caliper. The rubber boot is supposed to keep the water and crap out. Unless your running around on calipers with the rubber boot damaged.

the metal on the back of the pads rotted out around the pistons, there is no rubber boot over that area. around here they put alot of salt and brine down on the roads in the winter, talked to another guy today that had that happen to him on an 01 F350 with only 74K on it.

Gravel Rat
03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
You guys must have lots of road salt on your roads. How long does brake lines last :dizzy:

They use brine here and I wash my truck ever couple weeks and taking the hose to rinse off the frame etc.

Drew Gemma
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
replace your ruuber lines going to the cailiper those will colapse on the inside and casue your cailiper to hang up. On our f350 2002 dually we put pads on front every 10k then we replace hoses cailiper every 3-4 times we change pads. The hoses will tear up a new brake job in a few weeks and you have to start over.

TimTim2008
03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.evconvert.com/images/420.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/2974218719_59d20b521f.jpg?v=0