PDA

View Full Version : OK I guess

JDUtah
03-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Well I guess it is time you get to critique our website.

www.LegacyLawnsLLC.com

What do you like and dislike? Programming? Design?

How well do you think it sells?

Etc...?

(Sorry the layout isn't CSS guys!)

JDUtah
03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Bump a roo

Precedence
03-11-2009, 10:52 PM
It's good, only things I'd change are; take the sound off for sure and the mouse over thing is a bit scattered and weird it doesn't need to be spread out like that

Oh and remove the css validator on the bottom of the pages if the site isn't using css.

Colors are good and the everything seems to work.

JDUtah
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the input. I go back and forth about the sound.. any other opinions on that?

The scattered text on the homepage fits with other ad campaigns.. so it is a keeper for now.

The site does use CSS, just not for layout. Thanks for the response!

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Hey, just found your thread - but I'm too tired to analyze it. I'll try to check it out tomorrow. I'm enjoying the music right now, though. VERY relaxing. :clapping: ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Turboguy
03-12-2009, 06:39 AM
I like your site. I would rate it one of the better ones I have seen.

Usually I hate music on a site and if I click on a site and there is music I am out of there as fast as I possibly can be. Most always when the loud music some put thier on their sites comes on I jump about 2 feet out of my chair. I find your music on your site to be rather pleasant and in keeping with the organic theme. My first advice to anyone with music is usually to get rid of it. With yours I think it is a plus.

I like the logo at the top of the page. The text scattered all over the place, some with links and some without seemed a little disjointed at first but actually it only took 20 seconds to grow on me and I think it makes your site distinctive and for me it works.

Nice site.

JDUtah
03-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Glad to be of service whoop. :)

Thanks for the opinion Turboguy.

Anyone else?

Kiril
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Pretty good all in all, nice and clean with no eye burning colors. :)

Some issues on design (not commenting on content).

1) Get the quote JS out of the header and put it in a file.
2) Need some indication the JS is needed when it is disabled
3) Links at the bottom of your main content area do not have enough padding
4) Your meta content is mighty slim
5) The main page hover/accordion effect needs work, and the "links" should lead to a static page in the event JS is disabled
6) Accessibility compliance is pretty much non-existent
7) Your doc outline is shaky
8) Didn't hear the music since I have flash disabled by default, but I also do not like sites with music.

THC
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I hate sites that auto play music. You cannot save them in a file because if you "open all in tabs" you have to tab through them all to find out which one is playing. Plus you might be listening to your own music.

JDUtah
03-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks Kiril and THC. I will be removing the music and clean the home page asap.

Kiril a couple questions if you have the time...
I thought W3C validation helped ensure Accessibility compliance. Are you talking about the need to use Javascript to navigate? Were you referring to something else?

Thanks again guys!

Kiril
03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I thought W3C validation helped ensure Accessibility compliance.

Two different standards.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/

(test here) http://www.cynthiasays.com/

Are you talking about the need to use Javascript to navigate? Were you referring to something else?

Main content area with your "meat" information was the first place.

JDUtah
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
K, thanks for the direction. :waving:

JDUtah
03-19-2009, 07:03 PM
For those who saw the old mousover links.. what do you think of the redesign on the home page?

Thanks

THC
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah I didn't like those old links that made some text scroll out. It confused me much better now.

But I think the site lacks pictures. Nice lush green lawn with animals on it. I know everyone does that but when it's not there I miss it. Maybe click on a link and instead of text appearing go to a separate page, complete with pics.

On the top bar "Organic lawn whatever" that doesn't look great. It's a work in progress though, I'm sure it'll look good when it's complete.

Look at this guys logo, it's really nice. I like the whole website actually.

http://www.jamieslawnservice.com/

Isobel
03-25-2009, 12:10 AM
why is it that your website about lawncare doesn't actually include a single picture of a lawn?

For example, the Service Info page has a picture of a canyon. That's about the point I would move on.

JDUtah
03-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks THC, I am passively brainstorming ideas for that top title as we speak. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

Also thank you Isobel. Bryce canyon is in Utah and I was going for the whole "organic and sustainable" to protect the beauty of the world thing. I am learning some things about organic marketing this year (this is my first season marketing it) and will be upgrading the service section of the site as quickly as I can. Also, as soon as I can get some good pics of my organic turf they will be posted on the site.

Kiril, I still haven't tweaked it per http://www.cynthiasays.com/.. still plan to though. Off subject but maybe you could help with this... on the home page when someone clicks the javascript link, how can I make the open div link (just clicked) look like a title (black, bold text)? I had it working using a CCS class without the "href=#xyz" but I added those so my site analytics could track clicks... when I did that it appears the class property was trumped by the "a" properties. If you can help, thanks :)

Thanks everyone!

Any other suggestions?

Kiril
03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Kiril, I still haven't tweaked it per http://www.cynthiasays.com/.. still plan to though. Off subject but maybe you could help with this... on the home page when someone clicks the javascript link, how can I make the open div link (just clicked) look like a title (black, bold text)? I had it working using a CCS class without the "href=#xyz" but I added those so my site analytics could track clicks... when I did that it appears the class property was trumped by the "a" properties. If you can help, thanks :

Try onfocus and onblur. Plus you still need to fix the link padding issue.

JDUtah
03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I'll play with it. Thanks.

I must not be understanding what links you are suggesting need more padding?

Kiril
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I'll play with it. Thanks.

I must not be understanding what links you are suggesting need more padding?

The hover effect is pushing stuff around. You need to increase the line height.