PDA

View Full Version : mulching vs blowing

mowedown
03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
i'm about to purchase a ztr. any advise on going w/the mulching package or discharging. i've heard it might be a bad idea to mulch during the spring green up, any advise?

Jason Rose
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Personally I think you MUST have a catcher for use at least with the first cut for clean-up purposes and also you will need one in the fall for leaves. As for mulching all the time, it depends on how the grass grows in your area. Some parts of the country the turf only grows an inch or two a week, you can mulch away! Where, like us here, it grows between two and six inches a week, there's no machine in the world that will mulch it. Discharging (blowing) is the easiest way to go, but then you have to worry about where the grass is being blown, and your clean-up time, blowing off anywhere the grass isn't supposed to be, takes much longer. You may also have to double cut to dispurse the clippings better.

If you insist on not bagging, my opinion is to discharge and invest in a chute blocker, like a powerchute ( http://www.powerchutedesign.com/ ) This will allow you to work around beds, etc.

mowedown
03-11-2009, 12:00 PM
thanks for the info, will look into the "power chute".

mowerbrad
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
The abililty to mulch or discharge depends alot on the mower and the area. Some mowers do a much better job than others in certain areas but then not so well in other areas. I would suggest demoing a couple ztr's in your area and see which ones do the best. If you can't demo before you start up, talk to some of the other LCO's in your area and see what they have to say about which mowers do the best.

W8N4grow
03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
If you find that you can broadcast mulch, while not a true mulching setup with the correct deck baffling, adding a door to close off the chute will help you control the blown clippings from getting into/onto areas you don't want them. It makes cleaning up after easier.

mowedown
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
thanks for all the info. i purchased a exmark hp 50" w/23 hp kawi. went ahead and
got the mulching setup, dealer advised that if we have a problem w/mulching he can
easily change over to discharging. by the way this site is outstanding. started viewing when we decided to start up, have learned alot in short time!

capnsac
03-13-2009, 09:18 AM
If you find that you can broadcast mulch, while not a true mulching setup with the correct deck baffling, adding a door to close off the chute will help you control the blown clippings from getting into/onto areas you don't want them. It makes cleaning up after easier.

By broadcast mulch I assume you mean leave some mulch baffles on except for the one on the discharge side?