PDA

View Full Version : Guys with 1 man operations - Does your wife get involved with Business?

hummingbird3d
03-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm getting into this 1 man lawn care business because I've always wanted to be my own boss and make my own command decisions. Right now that feels great, however, I am wondering how many of you in this 1 man business category do all the decision making, like with deciding purchases, advertising and when and what to do with YOUR business.:cool2:

RickR1818
03-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Heeelllllll no!

punt66
03-11-2009, 01:18 PM
1 man = 1 man. Wife has her own job.

Valk
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
My gal's job is to listen to me b!tch about cranky customers! :realmad:

Catharsis is healthy...especially when dealing with nimrod's. :laugh:

ambersLawnmowing
03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
My wife is generally a pain in the butt on a job site, However she does ALL the invoices, ad work, some phone calls, ect. Nothing that requires her to be along side me. She also works at her own job so she really doesnt have time to come out with me. Plus i can barely get her to mow our yard..

Fife Lawn&Lane
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Solo op is just that. MY business my decisions, wife has her own job.

RickR1818
03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Lets be honest here. I talk to my significant other about the biz. The problem is she just doesnt understand when I talk equipment. To truly understand this biz like any other you need to be in it daily using the tools and doing the work. She has gotten to the point where she notices things when we are driving as far as quality and how something was cut. But when it comes to how to do it or why I need this or that she has no idea and could really care less as long as money is being made.

saylorsdad
03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
my wife is stay at home mom, I work full time teaching then go and mow in the afternoons. She will go with me and hop on the big ztr for larger jobs while I trim. Cuts down the time on each yard and we don't split the pay, only thing is prepare to constantly have to go help with equipment "starting it, getting it unstuck, ect." not a big deal if you can work together, if not then don't try it.

BCarlson
03-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I know what your asking, Depending on the state, a solo operation or sole prorietorship also means the wife owns half of the business. Make sure she knows that you need to build equipment in the beginning and need good equipment..not Walmart Brand equipment. Have the wife take calls do billing while you work and do bidding. If she is willing and able to help on the bigger jobs let her work by your side but you're the boss on the job. If she works also set up a budget and up to a certain amount of income from the business goes towards household expenses and anything over and beyond goes towards equipment.

fl-landscapes
03-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm not solo but a small operation. Had my wife work with me full time for about a year.....drove me nuts. She's back to work now full time elsewhere but I do have her make calls for me. Just think a female voice on the other end is comforting to people?????? Anything technical I follow up.

gardiner
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
yes the wife is very valuable to my business
she pretty much the boss and I'm the get-r-done guy
and when I'm ask to do extra ( this and thats) from customers
that takes more time then I'm scheduled for
i just tell them i will make a note and turn it in the office
and have her give them a call to schedule what they want done
and i get paid for all the work i do .
she is getting pretty good with doing estimates.
and calling and invoices and scheduling
so i can focus on what needs done.

PGLC
03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
If you want your business all F'd up then ya, have your wife involved. If you want a chance to make a buck, then keep her as far away as possible!

Woody82986
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not yet married, but my girlfriend of 3 years doesn't have much to do with my daily routine. She has an MBA with a focus in marketing so I do bounce marketing and advertizing ideas off of her for her input but that's about as far as it goes.

mowerman41
03-11-2009, 08:45 PM
my wife is a stay at home mom and Landscaping is my second job, but all I do is mow my wife trims and uses the backpack blower. She saves me a lot of time. All decisions on equipment is all me but she does all the invoices and takes care of my paperwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billslawn89
03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
1 man = 1 man. Wife has her own job.

same here!

BUT she has her hands on depositing those checks every month ... lol :laugh:

Carolina Cuts
03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Im' single.... I have a dog..... she's not much help.

stroker51
03-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Im' single.... I have a dog..... she's not much help.

Hahahaha, the only reason I'm laughin so hard right now is because this is me, lol. My dog is asleep on the floor right now while im workin on business stuff, lol. Unless I wind up marrying somebody with really good book keeping skills, not gonna be much biz and marriage crossin over, except for my bi%chin. I think to make it, unless I really get big, which is possible, I'm gonna need to marry a nurse or somebody that makes pretty good money to sumplement my income so I can just pay for my toys!!:cool2:

punt66
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
same here!

BUT she has her hands on depositing those checks every month ... lol :laugh:

My wife has no idea how much i make hahahahah She is always a little shocked when i bring a new toy home like a harley from my yearly bonus. This year though i gave it to her and am installing a tumbled marble master bath.

EL Lawn care
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
My wife does the books and keeps the whole operation running smoothly. I could do it all myself but she is a stay at home mom and through out the day she has time to work on projects we need for the business. If it werent for her, I would come home and not have anytime to spend with the family. She sometimes goes out in the field with me, she thinks of it as excercise and can get a tan at the same time

rodzilla94
03-12-2009, 09:47 PM
lets see have my wife help me:dizzy: he!! no i can just imagine within about 2 hours in to the day i can hear her..... the truck is hot turn on the ac, why does the truck smell like dead grass and sweat,can we go home early its to hot to mow, stop so i can pee,why do you mow like that, hurry i have to pee, my allergies are killing me,look at that ladies car can we get one, this house is ugly how can you mow here,lol in about 3 hours i would be so crazy mad i would probably pull the belt off the walk behind and chock her with it

terrypiper
03-12-2009, 10:04 PM
my fiance had a very bad car wreck last may and could not do the physical work she had previously been doing, we married in june and i put her on the ztr while i trimmed and did all the little things. she was very nervous at first but caught on real quick. she mowed a cemetery, 4 apartment complexes and a big estate. wow what a big help to me she was. i knew she did a lot from june to august but when she came down with cancer in september i found out just how much she did do because i had to go back to doing it all. hopefully she will be able to help out again when i start up in a couple of weeks. all wives i think help in some way or another. it may be as stated above from listening all the way trough doing womanual labor. lol

punt66
03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
my fiance had a very bad car wreck last may and could not do the physical work she had previously been doing, we married in june and i put her on the ztr while i trimmed and did all the little things. she was very nervous at first but caught on real quick. she mowed a cemetery, 4 apartment complexes and a big estate. wow what a big help to me she was. i knew she did a lot from june to august but when she came down with cancer in september i found out just how much she did do because i had to go back to doing it all. hopefully she will be able to help out again when i start up in a couple of weeks. all wives i think help in some way or another. it may be as stated above from listening all the way trough doing womanual labor. lol
I hope your wife is doing well. I know how difficult it is. I have been fighting cancer for 3.5 years now. I wish her well.

lifetree
03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
... all I do is mow my wife trims and uses the backpack blower. ...

Hey, does she have a twin sister ... I'll take her !! :laugh: :cool2:

lifetree
03-12-2009, 10:52 PM
... I think to make it, unless I really get big, which is possible, I'm gonna need to marry a nurse or somebody that makes pretty good money to sumplement my income so I can just pay for my toys!!:cool2:

Keep dreaming ... I've been waiting for years for someone to come along and support me in the manner to which I hope to become accustomed !! :laugh: :laugh:

nobagger
03-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm getting into this 1 man lawn care business because I've always wanted to be my own boss and make my own command decisions. Right now that feels great, however, I am wondering how many of you in this 1 man business category do all the decision making, like with deciding purchases, advertising and when and what to do with YOUR business.:cool2:

Yes my Wife is involved in our business. Luckily she is a great Wife who I know has my back and trust completely with everything. She does the billing and pretty much 95% of all the paper work and some customer relations. We share ideas about certain things but as far as equipment purchases.....not really, one thing for sure I hear all the reasons why not to buy! I usually win,lol. She doesn't know about my latest purchase, my Echo bed redifiner :rolleyes:

Morningside
03-12-2009, 11:02 PM
My wife sticks her nose in only when i tell here how much i am bidding on such and such. and it is always the same response "couldnt you bid a little higher" it does not matter how high i bid it always need to be higher. it sucks. but, she has stopped me from making a bad equipment purchase or two, which i would have regretted later.

DLAWNS
03-12-2009, 11:07 PM
My wife handles all of my invoicing, taxes, and most of the paperwork. I do all the scheduling with some of her input. She works a full time job also but we are working like mad to make it that she can stay home and run the office so that way she doesn't have to hold another job when we have a kid.

ambersLawnmowing
03-13-2009, 02:26 AM
lets see have my wife help me:dizzy: he!! no i can just imagine within about 2 hours in to the day i can hear her..... the truck is hot turn on the ac, why does the truck smell like dead grass and sweat,can we go home early its to hot to mow, stop so i can pee,why do you mow like that, hurry i have to pee, my allergies are killing me,look at that ladies car can we get one, this house is ugly how can you mow here,lol in about 3 hours i would be so crazy mad i would probably pull the belt off the walk behind and chock her with it

That is funny, I could hear my wife saying everything on that list... Note the why does the truck smell. and Stop i have to pee..LOL i get that all the time.. Thanks for reminding me why i dont have her come and help

White Gardens
03-13-2009, 03:09 AM
I actually wish my wife would do more. She just got a new job, and I was hoping she was going to get into the biz a little more when she wasn't working, but it didn't happen.

Out of all the girls I've dated in the past, my wife is the only one who I'd have representing me and my biz.

LushGreenLawn
03-13-2009, 07:40 AM

:laugh: I tried bringing my wife at first but ran into the same issues. I decided I'd rather have a wife thats a girly girl than one thats acustomed to hard labor anyway.

Another one is, with one bright white cloud in the sky: Hun, it looks like its going to rain! we should stop now.

garmel
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
My wife comes out with me sometimes and I appreciate the help. She likes being in the sun and now she rides the big z and gets tan at the same time. I bounce all my ides off of her for her opinion. I want her to feel like she's a part of the business and she is. I'm not complaining and she's hot!

melanieb3
03-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Well I am the wife, not necessarily HOOTTTT, but I do help my husband A LOT. We're just getting started and I'm a Stay at Home Mom with 4 kids with the oldest being 4. So, helping him does NOT seem like work to me, but a break! :)

I plan to go out and help him some, I have been practing riding the ztr in our yard..I actually like doing that. Not sure how much I'll be able to get out, cause that would cost money as well...ie: babysitting...but hopefully my sister in law will let them come play while I go out with him.

I am basically his secretary at the moment. I handle all the paperwork. I handle all the calls as well. He just goes out and does the job. We discuss everything, although I let him make the final decision because he knows what's best. I don't know much about the equipment, but i'm eager to learn. I wanna know all about everything! I want to seem educated in this biz when I talk to customers about their needs.

I'm not a "girly girl" either as someone else stated about his wife...so I won't be complaining about getting dirty or working hard, plus it'll give me exercise! :) Maybe then I'll be hott! lol...

it's funny to read your responses to this post. Keep 'em coming, this is quite entertaining...

LushGreenLawn
03-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I just went back and re-read my post. I hope I did not offend anyone with my comment. Having or being a wife that is hard working is by no means a bad thing! :drinkup: