PDA

View Full Version : Idea on how much to charge?

O'BrienLawn&Landscape
03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
I received a call from a gentleman today and he wants me to trim two crab apple trees and straighten them out because they are starting to lean a little. Now i know how much to charge for the trimming but i have never charged someone yet for straightening out their trees. Like i said there are two crab apple trees about 15-20' tall, about 6-8" thick at the base and are starting to lean. What do you guys think? Thank you!

starry night
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
BIG JOHN truck tree spade at about $200 an hour.

White Gardens
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
What method are you going to use to straiten them??

If your going to try and tie them, then that might be a loosing battle if they are too large.

Also, I would be careful about over-prunning them if you decide to mess with the root system at all. There is a direct balance between root and branch growth.

O'BrienLawn&Landscape
03-11-2009, 06:09 PM
In this case i was going to try to tie them. With the trees being that tall and thick im thinking they are obveously not young which makes me wonder how big the roots are? What do you think?

White Gardens
03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
As a rule of thumb, I always consider the root growth to go 1/3 of the canopy, past the drip line.

Even if you try to tie them, you would have to set a heavy post to keep your cables tight.

Might want to track down Treegal and see what she has to say about it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=66051

starry night
03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Trees that size with good root systems don't just start to lean now. Either the client didn't notice them before and they have been leaning all along OR there's something wrong with the root system on the side that they are leaning toward. Either way there is nothing you could do. I doubt there is anyway to pull them straight which would be going against the "good roots" side. My original facetious reference to a very large mechanical tree spade is not economical for the value of these trees. And even if you went to that expense to straighten them, they would eventually start to lean again (if, in fact, the root system is defective.)

O'BrienLawn&Landscape
03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Thank you guys for the helpful info! i appreciate it