PDA

View Full Version : CV Joint

1MajorTom
03-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Dodge W150 4Wheel Drive.
Matt has never changed a CV joint before, and needs to know how.
It is the drivers side front.
Are any special tools needed?
Explain and walk him thru this.
He is mechanically inclined, and does all his maintenance.

Thanks,

stslawncare
03-14-2002, 08:18 PM
hey jodi just curious havent seen any posts from matt in a long time. sorry i know its off topic but it just dawned on me.

1MajorTom
03-14-2002, 09:32 PM
Ok STS, I'm here.
Yes, it's me Matt. Here I am asking for a little help, and this is what I get?

Licensed drivers please respond.

p.s. STS : If my bike breaks down, I'll ask you for your help.

MATT

03-14-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm a Chevy person - don't speak "Dodge" that well ;) - but I'm wondering if it is a CV joint on there or a regular U (Universal) joint?

I just changed both U-joints on my K-35 axle recently, so speaking in general terms - don't know how similar your Dodge is - brake caliper comes off, the locking hub assembly has to be taken apart/removed - needed Allen wrench and snap ring pliers here - and then there is a special tool required to undo the spindle nuts. It looks like a large deep socket with 4 tangs on the end, there are 2 different sizes I believe, your W150 should take the smaller of the two. (which is the one I had, then found out I needed the larger one for my 1-ton. Oh well, got both now :D )

The spindle and caliper bracket are bolted to the steering knuckle, they have to come off. Probably have to "persuade" them a little, be careful not to mar the spindle surface. Soft-faced hammer works well here.

With the spindle off, the axle shaft should slide out through the steering knuckle. You can now swap out the U-joint at the bench, make sure that if there are grease fittings on it, you install it so you can reach the fitting after it's in place - the fitting should face away from the wheel. If it faces in toward the wheel a grease gun won't go on.

I don't know the torque specs when reinstalling the spindle, if you can pick up a manual for your truck they should be listed there. T-o-o tight can cause the wheel bearing(s) to fail - wonder how I found that out? :(

Not really that bad of a job, just a little dirty. If one U-joint is gone, it may be wise to change both since you've got the truck up on blocks anyway.

Hopefully that info is of some use - as I said, I don't know much about Dodge or 1/2-ton for that matter.

03-14-2002, 10:20 PM
This is one of the photos I took during the K-35 project, you don't have to tear it down quite this far - I did because I'm giving the truck a full overhaul.

You can see the spindle and caliper bracket on the left side of the pic, the steering knuckle is on the right and doesn't have to come off to pull the axleshaft - it will slide through the hole in the centre of the knuckle. The tin dust shield and ring are held on with the same bolts as the spindle/caliper bracket. Your axleshaft should look similar to the one in the pic, the other assorted parts are for the kingpins which hold the steering knuckle on - again, the knuckle doesn't have to come off to do the U-joints.

lawrence stone
03-14-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Ok STS, I'm here.
Yes, it's me Matt. Here I am asking for a little help, and this is what I get?

Licensed drivers please respond.

p.s. STS : If my bike breaks down, I'll ask you for your help.

MATT

Did you ever take notice that all of the Pennsylvania types on this board are a little "short" and to the point?

Must be a cultural thing from living in the rust belt.

I am amazed when I travel in different parts of this country to find all these nice and pleasant people.

It really makes me want to puke.

Scotlawncare
03-15-2002, 12:31 AM
Stone,
I hope your not talking about us Southerners wanting to make you puke. If so, then stay up there in your Northern world and leave us alone. Oh and Florida does not count as the South in my book.

03-17-2002, 03:06 AM
Just curious - has Matt tackled the repair work on the Dodge yet? Wondering if it is similar to my K-35 front axle or if I'm w-a-y off the mark - remember, I don't speak much "Dodge". ;)

I seem to recall seeing a pic of your truck somewhere on here and I figured it would have the solid axle (as opposed to IFS) similar to mine.

1MajorTom
03-17-2002, 11:07 AM
We don't have many problems with the truck except for ordinary maintenance.

But the CV joint does seem to give us a problem.
The same CV joint had been replaced twice at the garage we use.
So when Matt heard a noise coming from the same general area, I guess he assumed that it was the CV joint going. Needless to say he was pretty ****** off!

He was hesitant to try and do the job himself, so he called the garage and took the truck in early Saturday morning.

This is what happened.

The clicking noise turned out not to be the CV joint. The plunger that activates the 4wheel drive hadn't disengaged all the way. Therefore, resulting in a clicking sound.

Just to make sure there was no damage, the mechanic took the pumpkin cover off of the axle, and checked to see if there was any metal shavings in the unit. Everything was fine. He put new grease in.

Checked the wheel bearings, just to rule that out. Everything was good, but he repacked them anyway.

Everything seems fine for now.

PS Rob: It is a solid axle.
Thanks for your help and interest in this. :)