PDA

View Full Version : What would you do??

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
The first area is under a deck where it will get no sunlight. I am trying to help prevent everything from just washing out. I was thinking about bringing in more dirt to fill in and help the slope then plant some groundcover. But I am not sure what ground cover would work well. Does this sound like a good plan or what do you suggest?

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Now this is on the side of the house where their dogs go in and out of the house from. Was thinking about getting rid of the remaining grass and putting down some rock with some flagstone for a walking path..not to sure what would work out best. THANKS

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
another view

JLIND2100
03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
For under the deck i would look into and see what they would feel about you putting some rocks down because then there would be little to not maintenance from some weeds coming up through and it would help keep the soil in place. But if you had to go with plants i would go with something that loves full shade maybe a hosta or something like that.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
For under the deck i would look into and see what they would feel about you putting some rocks down because then there would be little to not maintenance from some weeds coming up through and it would help keep the soil in place. But if you had to go with plants i would go with something that loves full shade maybe a hosta or something like that.

Yeah I was also thinking about putting rock down was thinking a groundcover may look a lil better. I can do whatever I want really this is a friends house and he is up for whatever

sunray
03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I would grade the slope smooth put some driveway mat down with the edges turned down and buried then cover it with rock.
Not real attractive but effective for errosion control.

JLIND2100
03-11-2009, 11:39 PM
o ok well in that cause i would just stick with puting down some fabric and just some nice stones, and from the pic it looks like the wall has a little red in it. so i would look for a type of rock with alittle bit red in it to help accent the wall and stones

White Gardens
03-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I agree with all the other posts.

Pinning down some fabric and laying rock over it would be a good idea. The area is more for utility purposes and any ground cover under the deck might turn into a mess.

I like the idea of using flagstone along the side of the building. It wouldn't take too much rock in between the AC units and the flagstone, so see if you can talk the owner into a little more colorful rock in there instead of plain river rock.Thumbs Up

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Thank you guys rock it will be. Yes if I went with rock I figured it would be good to get something with some red to have good flow. That area will be first he was wanting to hold off on the side but I wanted to start planing out what to do. Will get some pics when I'm done also doing some planting in front.

White Gardens thanks for chiming in, from what I've seen in other posts you are my go to guy when it comes to planting(hope ya dont mind lol) thanks

2brothersyardcare
03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
retaining wall and stone

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
retaining wall and stone

Those blocks on the lower part ofthe pic would be the retaining wall, now I am working on the part above the wall. The wall took care of the majority.

White Gardens
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
White Gardens thanks for chiming in, from what I've seen in other posts you are my go to guy when it comes to planting(hope ya dont mind lol) thanks

Heck, it's only my opinion, but if you if you think it's worth something and helps you out, then that's great, glad to help.

You might be able to get away with an English ivy of some sort under the deck, but I'm with others, not much of an area and it would be a pain to maintain.

If you need some pics of flagstone paths in rocks, I've got a couple. I just did one that has a mountain blend rock in it, and it's looks pretty good.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Heck, it's only my opinion, but if you if you think it's worth something and helps you out, then that's great, glad to help.

You might be able to get away with an English ivy of some sort under the deck, but I'm with others, not much of an area and it would be a pain to maintain.

If you need some pics of flagstone paths in rocks, I've got a couple. I just did one that has a mountain blend rock in it, and it's looks pretty good.

Well I am in the process in trying to learn more about plants, flowers, etc. And you seem to have a pretty solid background in those areas so I feel I could learn some things from you. Any books or things you suggest that may help me out also??

White Gardens
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Well I am in the process in trying to learn more about plants, flowers, etc. And you seem to have a pretty solid background in those areas so I feel I could learn some things from you. Any books or things you suggest that may help me out also??

I've still got a ways to go in learning plants and landscape ideas. It all comes down to knowing what readily available in your area, and also landing the jobs with a little creative freedom. Whenever I go to a nursery, I'm always nosing around and looking at the obscure stuff. Eventually things start sticking with you and the sensory overload from learning plants tends to subside.

I watch a lot of the victory garden on PBS. Lots of good info and garden ideas there. I also have about 3 tree encyclopedias, and 3 plant encyclopedias for cross-referencing plants I don't know. I also have a couple of magazine subscriptions such as PRO.

The MG course was invaluable. They cover so many topics and you get a professional from the local universities to cover each topic. The hands on experience lead to me receiving answers dealing with local issues dealing with horticulture and landscaping. The thing that has stuck with me the most is the problem solving skills you learn to use your MG knowledge to help your local community with gardening issues.

I also travel around the area to scope out gardens. I know STL has some good places, and you can ride off most of it on your expense sheets. Take any employees with you too, the more they learn, the better they are for your company. I've got a part-time occasional helper that I take to garden centers, etc...

I think my favorite jobs I've seen on Lawnsite is what chestnut oak pres has done and what Jimlewis has posted in the Landscaping forum.

White Gardens
03-12-2009, 12:26 PM

I've still got a ways to go in learning plants and landscape ideas. It all comes down to knowing what readily available in your area, and also landing the jobs with a little creative freedom. Whenever I go to a nursery, I'm always nosing around and looking at the obscure stuff. Eventually things start sticking with you and the sensory overload from learning plants tends to subside.

I watch a lot of the victory garden on PBS. Lots of good info and garden ideas there. I also have about 3 tree encyclopedias, and 3 plant encyclopedias for cross-referencing plants I don't know. I also have a couple of magazine subscriptions such as PRO.

The MG course was invaluable. They cover so many topics and you get a professional from the local universities to cover each topic. The hands on experience was awesome. The thing that has stuck with me the most is the problem solving skills you learn to use your MG knowledge to help your local community with gardening issues.

I also travel around the area to scope out gardens. I know STL has some good places, and you can ride off most of it on your expense sheets. Take any employees with you too, the more they learn, the better they are for your company. I've got a part-time occasional helper that I take to garden centers, etc...

I think my favorite jobs I've seen on Lawnsite is what chestnut oak pres has done and what Jimlewis has posted in the Landscaping forum. They have some great perspectives and knowledge of their environments.

hackitdown
03-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Landscape fabric and 1" crushed stone under the deck is ideal...it is pretty standard around here. You can then design plantings for either side of the stairs, and also along the outside(if it gets any sun).

I'd consider a paver job for the entire side of the house. Or maybe leave the space between the AC units for small plants. The dogs may ruin any plantings you put in, since it looks like they pee there. Pavers will be a neat, permanent, pee-proof solution.

yardatwork
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
If that area is mainly under the deck, then it really isn't getting heavy water to it in the form of down pours, etc. From the picture I see a little dog toy laying in the mulch and from you saying about the dog path, I think it might be a safe assumption to say that the dog(s) are the main reason mulch and debis have been going over the side. That isn't a very steep grade from what I can see.