PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Dirt Boy
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Gentlemen, what do you typically do in these situations?

1. You have a long strip of yard to irrigate which abuts against neighbors yard, say 10' wide x 60' long (length not really the point here). Do you put in enough to get full head to head coverage, IOW sprays down both sides of the 10' dimension, or do you just put them down one side?

2. Same situation, only abuts along the street?

I ask because I see a lot of installations, where it's just down one side, which seems kinda "hacky" to me, but ..... it saves a bunch of heads ($$)

Just wondering what's done & why.

And, as always, many thanks

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Heads both sides. 10' spacing. You know the answer. Yes there are hacks that do it. Unfortunately.

give them your business card and a bid to fix it.

hoskm01
03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Netafim in both situations. No overspray. Impeccable coverage.

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 09:11 PM

You're a piker. :)

Stuttering Stan
03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I concur with Dana, heads on both sides, alternating, the goal should be even coverage along the strip.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I concur with Dana, heads on both sides, alternating, the goal should be even coverage along the strip.

Ditto Dana

Ditto Stan

In spirit with Hosk

Stuttering Stan
03-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Not to get off topic:nono:, but I am hesitant to put Netafim in turf. Flowerbeds- everyday all day long, turf- ??????

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-11-2009, 10:50 PM
You will regret all those ???????

It is not only being done IT IS DEMANDED in TX parkways.

Stuttering Stan
03-11-2009, 11:04 PM

Hopefully this practice will remain in TX. I'm fortunate enough to lay 200' of pipe and touch the Atlantic. No foreseeable water problems, but that can change.

DanaMac
03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
TomTom has installed it in turf here. he could probably give some good input.

Beartooth
03-12-2009, 12:17 AM
It can be a real b%@*h to service down the road a few years after install! Sounds like $$$$$$$$$ for Dana!

bicmudpuppy
03-12-2009, 02:30 AM
I've seen the Vermeer three blade, three reel machine for installing netafim. If the soil will allow a near 6" installation, I think its the greatest new thing in our industry. How can drip tube that is buried and not exposed be more maintenance than sprinklers? More easily damaged by phone and cable drops, yes, but not less durable than pop up spray or rotor heads.

It does mean proper design is no longer optional, qualified repair personnel are a must, AND the HO can't "adjust" the actual equipment, only the timer:clapping::clapping:

AI Inc
03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Well in your first scenerio, the customer probably dosnt own both sides . So without permission from the neighbor , you shouldnt be putting it there. Thats probably why you see that a lot.

DanaMac
03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
How can drip tube that is buried and not exposed be more maintenance than sprinklers? More easily damaged by phone and cable drops, yes, but not less durable than pop up spray or rotor heads

Trying to find a leak within the large "grid" with pipes 6" apart could take time. also making sure you have ALL the different types of emitter output to match it up, otherwise you'll get uneven coverage or output.

If comes down to proper install, just as any regular install. If it is designed right, pipes are level (not fluctuating in depth), deep enough to miss an aerator, and maintained properly, it can be a great product and system. Traditional systems are maintenance prone, especially when not installed properly. I would not be in business with two employees if it weren't for poor installs and sub-par products.

Sprinkus
03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Years ago we installed an entire apartment complex, that was prone to vandalism, using Netafim.
The main maintenance issues were problems with the flush valves and damage caused by people installing flower beds in front of their apartments.
Other than that the system worked very well and kept the grass,(bermuda), very green.
As far as a 10' foot wide strip goes I would agree that a row of heads on each side is the correct way to do it. Now square versus triangular spacing on just two rows is another topic altogether!

AI Inc
03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Well in your first scenerio, the customer probably dosnt own both sides . So without permission from the neighbor , you shouldnt be putting it there. Thats probably why you see that a lot.

And for the 2nd scenerio , Im not big on putting sprayers along the street seeing the sand the roads here in winter. Next to iron , sand is probably the biggest spray head killer.

hoskm01
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM

At one of the city's irrigation standards meeting, I proposed Netafim in any strip 10' or less.

City engineers didnt like it because ONCE, someone who hadnt a clue how to run Netafim, ran the he!! out of it, saturated the turf, and caused some damage to the concrete curbs. So it got axed. And turf is REQUIRED in strips for commercial properties. STUPID.

DanaMac
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
At one of the city's irrigation standards meeting, I proposed Netafim in any strip 10' or less.

City engineers didnt like it because ONCE, someone who hadnt a clue how to run Netafim, ran the he!! out of it, saturated the turf, and caused some damage to the concrete curbs. So it got axed. And turf is REQUIRED in strips for commercial properties. STUPID.

Yup. One bad apple in the early stages of it can ruin a product for an entire area.

Kiril
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM

:clapping: SDI is without a doubt the best way to handle watering narrow strips.

Kiril
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM

Appropriate term highlighted.

Mike Leary
03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
My wife puts in her earplugs when we drive by commercial installs. :dizzy:

AI Inc
03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
You just think she puts them in then. Actualy , they were in for the whole ride.

AI Inc
03-13-2009, 09:43 AM
TomTom has installed it in turf here. he could probably give some good input.

Ever see this before?