PDA

View Full Version : My New Bri-Mar Dump Trailer Pics!

mkwl
03-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, I finally decided to invest in a dump trailer. I decided to go with a Bri-Mar 6'x10' 10,000 GVWR RascalLP trailer. I picked it up from a dealer about 2 hrs from me, got a much better price from him with some negotiation that any dealers near me. I'm building sides for it tomorrow- will get some more pics of it up when I have them built. What do you think?:usflag:

hondarancher4435
03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
nice trailer wish i had one

slamjamrockinman
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the sides. That trailer should serve you real well!!

bobcatnj
03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
should have went with a bigger one, they fill up fast. other than that, you'll love it

Kennedy Landscaping
03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Looks nice. Hope it works out well for you

Nick's Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Thats a nice little trailer, it should look great with sides!

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Nice trailer but its kinda small...but it might be the perfect size for you. Either way you will love it

mkwl
03-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I really feel this size was the best value for me- the next size up was another $1500, only to gain another 1.5 cu yds of space. With the sides I'm building (4' total), I'll be able to fit right around 8.75 Cu Yds of Mulch/Leaves in at once- I'm pretty happy with that! As me and my assistant can spread about 18 yards in a day, so 2 trips in a day and I'm all set.

Keep the comments coming guys!

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah they are not cheap and if it works for you thats all that matters!!

tom's lawn care
03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? i am looking into many different brands of dump trailers.

mkwl
03-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Yes, I think it will work great! I got it for $4,450 out the door (including tax) with a spare tire. The sides will cost me around $200 to make, so overall, I have about $4,700 into it- I think it will be well worth it!

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-11-2009, 10:54 PM
looks good. looks like it will make you some money cant wait to see what the side look like on it

deere615
03-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Looks great man. I should be picking mine up tommorrow I am getting a slightly used one. just a little smaller. Are you on spring break from college? I have had the whole week off and have been working on getting stuff ready

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 11:01 PM
WOW thats pricey...I just picked up a 97 F350 8ft dump truck with plow in great shape for $5000

mkwl
03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
WOW thats pricey...I just picked up a 97 F350 8ft dump truck with plow in great shape for $5000

They're not cheap- the MSRP on this one was $4650 + $100 for the spare + ~$310 for tax = MSRP $5,060.

mkwl
03-11-2009, 11:10 PM

But remember- you're going to have to pay add'l insurance on that- the trailer costs me nothing in insurance- another significant savings. Plus- this trailer holds A LOT more than a standard 8' mason body dump.

big_belly4ever
03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Lucky not in the long run hes better off with dump trailer I had a 6.5 x12 trail load cheaper to run than a dump truck and license,and maintain. nice price 3 years ago i paid 5,000 plus tax and license. mkwl don't ever get rid of it I miss mine badly. i got rid of mine got out if the mulch selling business. sure comes in hand for branches, leaves,garbage, mulch,dirt ,gravel you name it. Hand unloading and shoveling here.my.02 cents

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Very true on both your parts...not tryn to knock it at all I just spent my money differently. As I personally would rather have the truck over the trailer due to other jobs (plowing mainly) This trailer is gonna be a great buy for you

mkwl
03-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Very true on both your parts...not tryn to knock it at all I just spent my money differently. As I personally would rather have the truck over the trailer due to other jobs (plowing mainly) This trailer is gonna be a great buy for you

I agree- I did look at buying a small mason body dump truck, but the maintenance cost, smaller capacity, and insurance kept me away from it- I believe the dump trailer will work great for me!

Petr51488
03-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Ugh, you went with the rascal. But hey, its a dump none the less! Did you happen to see the low profile ones there? Question...do you plan on making the walls out of wood? Its gonna suck with only 6 stake pockets. The walls will really flex out with any type of weight in it. I Just primed the inside of mine today and will be putting a black epoxy in it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you'll need fresh coat of paint on the inside by the end of the season. Check to see if they cover that under warrenty because i didnt ask for mine. Good Luck with it! Here's a link to my dump with the walls and loader setup. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250869

mkwl
03-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Ugh, you went with the rascal. But hey, its a dump none the less! Did you happen to see the low profile ones there? Question...do you plan on making the walls out of wood? Its gonna suck with only 6 stake pockets. The walls will really flex out with any type of weight in it. I Just primed the inside of mine today and will be putting a black epoxy in it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you'll need fresh coat of paint on the inside by the end of the season. Check to see if they cover that under warrenty because i didnt ask for mine. Good Luck with it! Here's a link to my dump with the walls and loader setup. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250869

Yes, I went with the Rascal- the guy said he hardly sells any of the other LP trailers because ALL of the components on the Rascal and the LP trailers are IDENTICAL (6x10 10K). The ONLY difference is having one less stake pocket, and the fenders and lights are different. With the $$$ I saved by buying the Rascal, I can make my sides, and still have $400 left over. Plus, it will really only see use 3-4 months out of the year as the rest of the time I'm away at school. It looks VERY heavy duty built to me- I think it will suit me well!

Petr51488
03-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it was a bad choice at all.
When do you finish school? It sucks only being able to use it a few months out of the year.
How do you plan on making the walls?
As for the stake pockets, i forgot you got the 10' and not the 12. Mine has 11 stake pockets, and also the major noticeable difference are the brackets that go around the trailer on the exterior for strapping stuff down and the fenders look a bit different....just by looking at it.
If you get a chance tomorrow...call them up and ask them if they warrenty the paint on the inside of the dump. Mine is all rust after about 7 months.

SimonCX
03-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Don't get me wrong but you only have insurance on your trailer when it's hooked up to your truck on an policy. If you leave it unhooked and it gets stolen they won't pay, thats way I have mine on the policy just like the trucks.

nnj18
03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
does it have the scissor lift or two pistons?? lmk how you like it, I might buy a 12'-14'....

J&R Landscaping
03-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Nice purchase! Good luck with it!!

Going Commercial
03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
I bought a new Brimar low pro, 12,000lb with the three way gate/doors, Spare tire and ramps. I went with the wider trailer and it is 12 ft long. Trailer is great!!! You are expecting to carry way too much mulch for that trailer. The weight alone is too much. Your max amount loaded is about 7000lbs and good luck trying to pull close to 10,000 with your truck without ruining it. I have a 2005 hd, gas and believe me you will know when the trailer is on it empty. I think you made a great choice in the Brimar because of its quality but feel you should have went larger in the long run because I do not think you will ever fit a skidsteer or tractor in the 10 ft. You may not see the need at this time but my thoughts are "find what your use is now and then go up a step or 2 for future growth use". Best of luck!

riverwalklandscaping
03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I know plenty of people who tow 10K with 3/4ton trucks and have for years without ruining the truck myself included..

I notice there are only two stake pockets for 10 feet. I would recommend getting a steel U bracket bolted on/welded half way down to keep the wooden sides from flexing or breaking. Also one thing to think about with sides is if you load the trailer with a tractor/skid steer at all. I only put 20" sides on mine so I can still load it with a small tractor/skid/miniskid if I want, and then I have the 4 foot sides for using it with the leaf vac.

Peter when you say rust do you mean the whole thing is rust like an old dump truck, or the areas where something like stone put a good scratch in is rusting? I'm pretty sure its normal to have some rust in the bed of a non aluminum/stainless dump after a decent amount of use.

nnj18
03-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Peter when you say rust do you mean the whole thing is rust like an old dump truck, or the areas where something like stone put a good scratch in is rusting? I'm pretty sure its normal to have some rust in the bed of a non aluminum/stainless dump after a decent amount of use.

yep I was going to say that too...and if you're putting a lot of rock or concrete in it, it will get torn up and have surface rust....I dont see many dump trucks or trailers without some surface rust on the dump body.

mikeg1005
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Nice trailer I wish mine was a low profile!

bobcatnj
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
i have a bri mar 7 x 14 with the bri mar high sides and swing doors, i think its rated for 14k. i love the trailer, one of the best pieces of equipment i bought. I can load it with 12 yards of mulch and have no problems, put a skid steer in the back, what ever.... Make sure you get a BRAKE CONTROLLER, you will burn your truck brakes up with out it.

Petr51488
03-12-2009, 01:17 PM

No, not rusing through, although if i left it and not painted it for years, i'm sure it would have went through. You'll see what i mean when i put the pics up in my thread. I just finished painting it today. I put a primer and an epoxy black. I think it came out pretty good.

riverwalklandscaping
03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Nice, They put a hell of a powdercoat on my cam dump and it has no rust except for the bed which gets rocks and pavement and everything else dumped in and out of it. It is only 2 years old though

Lakewlc
03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
nice trailer

Dstosh
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Good buy. I thought it was one of the cheep deck over rascal's when you were talking about it in your other thread. Good luck. Now all you need is a dump insert for your truck.

Debris in truck, mulch in trailer. No shoveling at the end of the day!

tom's lawn care
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
That is a great buy, i think I will look into buying that brand. Thanks

DLAWNS
03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Nice dump trailer. I have a Brimar dump insert and I love it. They are a great product.

NNJLandman
03-12-2009, 10:18 PM
That looks like a smart and wonderful investment. I've been researching them for a while now and am looking into purchasing one myself. Let us know how you like it once it gets some use.

mkwl
03-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! I think it will serve me well! As for it being too heavy- I look at it like this: Trailer weighs 2,000 LBS, sides are (at most) another 1,000LBS, it's a 10K trailer so I have 7,000LBS of capacity. Now, I figure an average yard of mulch weighs 800 Lbs x 8 yards = 6,400LBS- I'm within my limit. My truck will pull 10K easy- I've pulled heavier with no problem. Also- if the weight would be too much for the volume- why would I bother to have a larger one :confused:

Thanks for the comments guys- keep em coming!

mkwl
03-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Here's the pics- sorry they're a little dark- took almost all day to make em.

Petr51488
03-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice... are those 2x4's pressure treated?

Take a look at what my inside looked like at about 7 months old. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250869&page=13

STIHL GUY
03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
looks nice especially with the sides

mkwl
03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Nice... are those 2x4's pressure treated?

Yep- everything's Pressure Treated and all galvenized fastners! Cost a small fortune to make but they're heavy duty sides!

Petr51488
03-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Yep- everything's Pressure Treated and all galvenized fastners! Cost a small fortune to make but they're heavy duty sides!

Hah, i bet. I just used those weatherproof screws for everything. Still holding up great. How high is it from the floor to the top?

mkwl
03-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the comments- the sides are 4' tall total (inside them bed).

riverwalklandscaping
03-13-2009, 12:53 PM
wow peter do you park where water sits inside? that is way to much rust I would complain to bri-mar

tls22
03-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! I think it will serve me well! As for it being too heavy- I look at it like this: Trailer weighs 2,000 LBS, sides are (at most) another 1,000LBS, it's a 10K trailer so I have 7,000LBS of capacity. Now, I figure an average yard of mulch weighs 800 Lbs x 8 yards = 6,400LBS- I'm within my limit. My truck will pull 10K easy- I've pulled heavier with no problem. Also- if the weight would be too much for the volume- why would I bother to have a larger one :confused:

Thanks for the comments guys- keep em coming!

Matt it looks great. The truck will pull it fine, you plow snow with the truck for christ sakes. I dont understand some of these guys, its a work truck.

Good luck this coming season matt :drinkup:

mkwl
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Matt it looks great. The truck will pull it fine, you plow snow with the truck for christ sakes. I dont understand some of these guys, its a work truck.

Good luck this coming season matt :drinkup:

That's what I figure- if the truck can push a 900LB plow across the ground with 1,500LBS + of snow infront of it (TONS of friction)- I think it'll be fine pulling a 10K load (trailer has brakes, truck has brake controller- both my trailers have brakes)- I agree!

You too man!

riverwalklandscaping
03-13-2009, 03:00 PM
trucks can tow all they want, getting them to stop is another thing. You will be fine with brake controller. Your truck is made to tow, so people who say it ruins one to tow with it are idiots

Petr51488
03-13-2009, 07:36 PM
wow peter do you park where water sits inside? that is way to much rust I would complain to bri-mar

Nope, but i do keep my yard waste in there. Anything from grass clippings, leaves, brush. THat stuff stays in there until i fill up the dump to the top. Most of the time its for a month so i'm sure that doesn't help. Then all the banging up in there from the firewood doesnt help either. I already painted it, so i don't know if they'll do anything about it. You think if i call they would reimburse me for my supplies? anything?

x2 on the truck thing. The truck will pull it without a problem. I'm pretty sure you have a brake controller, if not, don't pull the trailer without it. Test it out on a side street. Unplug your trailer and try stopping it with a load in it. Its very hard and if you hit a bump or something in the road, the abs with kick in and your up a creek without a paddle lol

grasscutter845
03-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Nice trailer i have a cam-superline 6x10 5ton.. Just bought it in the fall and built a leaf box right away. cant wait to get the box off and build sides similar to urs,or i may buy the expanded mesh sides.

BckYrdLmbrJk
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Mkwl, The sides look great. Can you fit your bobcat in the 6 x 10? With attachments?