PDA

View Full Version : Time?

Midstate Lawncare
03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
How do you treat a field for weeds when the field is played on every day? Do you tell them to take a day off... or what? Thank you in advance.

foreplease
03-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I have done each of these at one time or another, basically whatever can be worked out to suit everyone:

have been there with tank loaded and ready to spray in evening the moment last practice or game ends
sprayed under the lights very late (11 pm - 1 am)
worked out a rotation with coaches where facilities have multiple fields, then done half one day and half another
sprayed on weekends - this works well for school based sports but not at all for youth/community
fields

It depends a lot of the level of concern parents and coaches have with what you are spraying. Most want their fields better and know things go best when everyone - including me - cooperates. I always take into account what I would be comfortable with before asking them to change anything about their schedule. I do not mean what I find convenient, I mean what chemical I am using, the weather forecast, and especially what type of use the field has. Baseball and soccer players have a lot less contact with the grass than, say, football where players end up face down in the grass.

I am better off not trying to sell to those truly opposed to pesticides. It is much more common to not hear objections until someone else in the organization has made the decision to treat. When that happens, all I can do is try to be a patient ambassador as well as being cooperative. I explain calibration and the ultra low rates I am using per thousand square feet. Sometimes there isn't an easy answer. Safety of the kids comes first.

In my opinion, it is more difficult to hit the window with granular products than sprayed applications.

It is odd how people will ignore or be unconcerned about notices posted on their own lawns but do a 180 on athletic fields or parks.

Midstate Lawncare
03-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Although the answer you gave about "under the lights" is not what I wanted to do, I think it is the only answer. This complex happens to be privately owned, and played on every day. Looks like some late nights for me. Thanks.

foreplease
03-12-2009, 10:00 AM
No problem. I have found it to be a great time to work. Not much wind and nobody around. Pretty easy to see your tracks too. Good luck.

RD 12
03-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I was in the same boat you are in. In the beginning it was a fight but, after seeing the end results the few coaches that were complaining quit. I was able to take one field out at a time. Who ever is managing your fields need to understand it all part of process and needs to schedule around it.