PDA

View Full Version : Do You Find Yourself Branching Out To Other Businesses?

hummingbird3d
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I am getting ready to start up in this business myself and I am very excited to become my own boss and make my own command decisions. I've been gardening since I was in elementary school and have always found myself doing something in the yard on weekends.

I also picture that while working on lawn care that maybe putting up a fence or building an arbor or whatever in a yard could be additional jobs that a homeowner would ask to have done since you're already on the property. Would this be a common occurrence and what other kinds of jobs pop up to make more money while doing yard work?

thanks

topsites
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Sure, you could, for example, in addition to lawn care and yard work also get into landscaping.

Although I would agree, it might work better if we were being more specific. :p

DaughtryLC
03-12-2009, 04:41 PM
I here what your saying! Most of my customers Ive had for a while know Im handy so there always asking for this or that. Its great extra $! I do concentrate on my Lawn Care 1st. The customers Im talking about know that in the peak season that Im busy so they will say just work it in when you can. Whats nice is when they call in the winter and its alittle extra $!!

LB1234
03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
yes, very common.

mowerbrad
03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I only branch out into other landscape services. I'm handy but am in no way a carpenter or contractor. My expertise is in lawn care, and that is where I focus. But any extra money is good money, so all the power to you.

david shumaker
03-12-2009, 08:41 PM
My customers ask me to do all kinds of other stuff. If I know how to do the job and have time, I usually do it if the money is OK. I stained a fence yesterday and have been working on a small landscaping job. Elderly people will ask me to do little repair jobs, also.

If you have another skill, let your customers know because they like to hire someone they can trust.

DLAWNS
03-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I only branch out into other landscape services. I'm handy but am in no way a carpenter or contractor. My expertise is in lawn care, and that is where I focus. But any extra money is good money, so all the power to you.

This is pretty much how I do things. I'm not the handiest guy in the world and wouldn't want to bite off more than I can chew. Besides that, except for the winter, I'm usually pretty busy and wouldn't want to risk messing up the schedule. But like Mowerbrad said: if it works for you than good luck with it!

RonB
03-12-2009, 10:52 PM
If you're handy around the house, why not be handy at your customers too.

I do many side jobs for mine - repaired chain link fence, built wood fencing, installed outdoor carpet on porches, new mailboxes and post, repaired roofing, replaced screen doors, painted the exterior of a house ..

Scheduling can be tricky sometimes though. I try to keep a couple Mondays free from cutting each month or work weekends on odd jobs.

turfbuilder
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
You will find that a lot of elderly customers will ask you to do just about everything except cook them dinner. Just kidding. Actually I find it hard to say no to some of my older clients that I've had for awhile depending on what they
want done. Nowadays I keep it to yard/landscaping work. Back in the day I did roofs, painting, built sheds, moved furniture and even washed cars. I'll tell ya I got a lot of referrals from these people. If I were a young guy just starting out in this economy I'd do it again.
Good Luck
Turfbuilder:usflag: