PDA

View Full Version : Elegator or Gorillia lift assist?

jpp
03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
What type do you use? What do you like about the particular unit that you are using? Doesn't have to be these two, let me know I am trying to decide what to get. Just had the gate reinforced and it is heavier than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks,

JP

fordmstng66
03-12-2009, 04:09 PM
you might be able to make something like the elegator assist using some eye hooks, and some garage door springs, but the gorilla assist seems a lot more secure, and it seems to blend in a little more.

bluesprucelawncare
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Gorillia i just put it on my trailer... maybe the ramp a foot longer and ordered it to help me lift it. i dont know about other brands but this was square tubing and i could sand it down to re pait it easer and i can mount my blower holders over it easer than one of the circle tubing ones i thought. plus it works welll

jpp
03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
you might be able to make something like the elegator assist using some eye hooks, and some garage door springs, but the gorilla assist seems a lot more secure, and it seems to blend in a little more.

That's funny, because I was thinking the same thing about the garage door springs. lol Yep the elegator looks like it would be in the way to me it it set up.

Thanks,

JP

jpp
03-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Gorillia i just put it on my trailer... maybe the ramp a foot longer and ordered it to help me lift it. i dont know about other brands but this was square tubing and i could sand it down to re pait it easer and i can mount my blower holders over it easer than one of the circle tubing ones i thought. plus it works welll

Do you have the actual length of the part that goes on the rail? I have a 16 foot trailer, so I believe I can still use the trimmer racks without any problem.

Thanks,

JP

jpp
03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
up ttt

jp

Jason Rose
03-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I have the Gorrilla lifts as well. Works good for me. Yes, they are nice because they are square, and they fit right on top of your standard angle iron top rail so you can have racks for whatever right alongside the lift.

Watch the cables though! Inspect them where they sit bent at a 90 deg. angle when the gate is up. They WILL start to break there. I have replaced both of my cables with stainless steel cables, double clamped with eyelets at both ends. Also NEVER lube the cable or the rollers, it will cause the rollers to not spin and then the cable just saws through them... Been there, done that... Those rollers are expensive.

I PREFER the lift kits that have the springs enclosed though.

bluesprucelawncare
03-13-2009, 01:03 AM
i will measure them tomorrow but i have 16 foot and i have a 20 inch front nose built so the roads dont hit the zs so much but i have the weed wips and the blowers all curbs(pass) side so i go from front to back. its gotta be from the gate to the rear tire i will mesure it

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-13-2009, 09:03 AM
save your money and make your own........I made mine for about $30 each......

jpp
03-13-2009, 07:02 PM
I have the Gorrilla lifts as well. Works good for me. Yes, they are nice because they are square, and they fit right on top of your standard angle iron top rail so you can have racks for whatever right alongside the lift.

Watch the cables though! Inspect them where they sit bent at a 90 deg. angle when the gate is up. They WILL start to break there. I have replaced both of my cables with stainless steel cables, double clamped with eyelets at both ends. Also NEVER lube the cable or the rollers, it will cause the rollers to not spin and then the cable just saws through them... Been there, done that... Those rollers are expensive.

I PREFER the lift kits that have the springs enclosed though.

How long did your cables last before you had to replace them? Yeah, I think for safety sake the enclosed springs are much better too. I just have a bad feeling on the elegator type.

Thanks,

JP

jpp
03-13-2009, 07:03 PM
save your money and make your own........I made mine for about $30 each......

What did you use? Garage door springs? If so have you had them break on you? My fear is that they will break and fly through the air and hurt or damage someone or something.

thanks,

JP

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I used garage door spring encased in fence posts (chainlink fence type)....there is a 3/8" bolt on each end that contains the spring if there were a failure.... I have been making my own for 8-9 years and never had a failure.... I buy pulleys from lowes and build it so it has worked for each of 3 trailers. The current trailer is a dump trailer with a 5 foot rear gate...I can tape pics if you want

jpp
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I used garage door spring encased in fence posts (chainlink fence type)....there is a 3/8" bolt on each end that contains the spring if there were a failure.... I have been making my own for 8-9 years and never had a failure.... I buy pulleys from lowes and build it so it has worked for each of 3 trailers. The current trailer is a dump trailer with a 5 foot rear gate...I can tape pics if you want

No need for pictures right now. I think I understand how you did it. Sounds pretty safe to me.

Thanks,

JP

Jason Rose
03-13-2009, 08:00 PM
How long did your cables last before you had to replace them? Yeah, I think for safety sake the enclosed springs are much better too. I just have a bad feeling on the elegator type.

Thanks,

JP

Ummm... I've owned them two years I believe. This year will be the 3rd. The one cable flat out snapped in half on me last summer, and the other was fine when I parked it for the winter, but when I was working on the trailer I noticed it was fraying right at that bend. I already had the cable and the clamps so I replaced it. I was able to break the cable in half where it had started to break and frey, with my hands. They should have used stainless cable!!! :hammerhead:

Gorilla lift also tells you that you can't just replace the cables, they want to sell you the cables and the springs already hooked together. This costs almost what a whole new set does. Uh, no. I know why they do it, because if someone replaces the cable themselves and dosn't clamp the cable properly (using 2 or 3 clamps) it could come loose and ruin your day. I'm confident that my double clamps on both ends, both torqued as tight as I can get them (without stripping the threads) are just as safe as the factory crimps that it had.

jpp
03-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Ummm... I've owned them two years I believe. This year will be the 3rd. The one cable flat out snapped in half on me last summer, and the other was fine when I parked it for the winter, but when I was working on the trailer I noticed it was fraying right at that bend. I already had the cable and the clamps so I replaced it. I was able to break the cable in half where it had started to break and frey, with my hands. They should have used stainless cable!!! :hammerhead:

Gorilla lift also tells you that you can't just replace the cables, they want to sell you the cables and the springs already hooked together. This costs almost what a whole new set does. Uh, no. I know why they do it, because if someone replaces the cable themselves and dosn't clamp the cable properly (using 2 or 3 clamps) it could come loose and ruin your day. I'm confident that my double clamps on both ends, both torqued as tight as I can get them (without stripping the threads) are just as safe as the factory crimps that it had.

Thanks for the information.

JP

Quality Cuts PLS
03-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Do a search for elegator and check out my comments.

jpp
03-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, I decided to go with the gorrilla lift. Used it today and so far I am very pleased with it. Yes, I could have made my own with garage doors springs but decided just to shell out the money for it. Like said if I need to replace the cable it will be with stainless ones. Also I may just put the gate down at night to keep it from being at a 90 degree angle for any length of time.

JP

GravelyGuy
03-18-2009, 08:32 PM

Hey if you have pictures it would be great of you could put them up. I was asking about this same thing a little while back and I've yet to order anything so I may consider making one. My gate is VERY heavy.

Thanks...

ELEGATOR
04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
There are different specifications for several different applications of heavy-duty extension springs ranging from farming equipment to construction equipment for industrial uses. Even as there are several different types of lawn mowers and landscaping equipment for specific uses and applications. With a garage door spring that you can purchase at a local hardware used for a horizontal overhead application, the diameter of the spring steel ranges between 1/8" -3/16" diameter and has a pull force between 50 - 190 lbs., depending upon the manufacturer and weight of the garage door, with safe lengths between 60 - 72 inches full extension. Also depending on the weight of the garage door and the pull force of the extension spring. At the ends of this type of extension spring there are double loops. In the manufacturing process of the loops there is a sharp bend so the double loop is approximately at a 90 degree angle from the coils. When fully relaxed all the coils are closed. This is the way this type of extension spring was designed to work horizontally, to work in conjunction with an overhead 1/4 to 1/2 horsepower garage door opener.

The specification for the industrial engineered eLegator spring steel is 1/4" diameter; pull force is 234 - 240 lbs.; 24" in length when fully closed, with C-clips (saddle straps) attached at both ends to the coils. The C-clips are rated at 240 lbs. to eliminate the double loop. The eLegator extension spring is mounted vertically on the trailer. eLegator is specifically designed so when it is mounted at specific points in accordance with the Instruction Manual on the trailer and trailer gate, the coils are never fully closed or relaxed as a horizontal garage door spring. The specifically engineered anchor eyelet bolts are: 125,000 lbs. PSI tensile alloy steel (Grade 5-6). When mounted correctly according to the manual when the trailer tailgate is down and the extension spring is fully adjusted, in this position the extension spring was designed not to reach its total safe length. Any further information or specifications of eLegator, visit www.elegator.com