PDA

View Full Version : 1 Acre mowed for 30 Dollars

BLS 2002
03-12-2009, 08:33 PM
LARGE LAWNS MOWED CHEAP up to 1 acre $30, 2 acres $50.

So I was browsing the classifieds in our local newspaper today and I saw this add which kinda blew me for a loop... Can you guys believe this??? I even went to the guys website and emailed him about his low prices! I told him that my minimum is 35$ and if he doesn't change his pricing characteristics he's going to go bottom up. Also told him to email me if he wanted some consultation ::)

topsites
03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I just think that's kind of uncool to call someone else over their business practices.

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2009, 08:54 PM
agreed....

BLS 2002
03-12-2009, 08:59 PM
So now I'm the bad guy - I'm sorry, but there's no way someone can make it in this area for that. I can tell this is the guy's first year and I'm actually hoping he emails me back so I can help the man out.

WeCare-LawnCare
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
your upset because your 5 bucks more? Maybe he can tell you how to run a tighter ship, to be more competitive!!

punt66
03-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I also have a 35 min but i dont think his prices are all that far off. I can do 2 acers in 30 min with my z.

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2009, 09:05 PM
no one said "You're" the bad guy... just saying.... why waste your time contacting the guy.
And... no, sorry, I highly doubt you really want to help a local run his business better. Very few would wanna see their competition do well.

You think Walmart VP's are calling up Target's VP's to give em' some advice???

BLS 2002
03-12-2009, 09:19 PM
You think Walmart VP's are calling up Target's VP's to give em' some advice??? LOL - True

I just think those prices are ludicrous - it's my opinion... thought some of you would get a kick out of it because I did. Looks like it backfired :)

mowerbrad
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
If you don't think he is going to be making money then don't worry about him. You should be worrying about yourself and consentrating on your business.

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
keep in mind... you've got 25 posts....

hearing about the low low prices is a daily thing, sometimes hourly, NO, sometimes by the minute 'thing' around here...

Not much you can do about it.... try not to sweat it.... just stay focused on YOUR work, ya know??? No big deal.....

Keep rockin' on.....

TMlawncare
03-12-2009, 11:46 PM
I also have a 35 min but i dont think his prices are all that far off. I can do 2 acers in 30 min with my z.

I seriously dought you can do a 2 acre lawn in 30 minutes. I suppose if you have a lot thats 2 acres with no trees, extremely smooth that you can mow at full stick. Maybe but I dought it. Then there is trimming on that 2 acre property. Then again if you mow that fast you are probably like a few I see around here that don't own a blower or trimmer. Things like that just take too much time.

FYS777
03-13-2009, 12:06 AM

So I was browsing the classifieds in our local newspaper today and I saw this add which kinda blew me for a loop... Can you guys believe this??? I even went to the guys website and emailed him about his low prices! I told him that my minimum is 35$ and if he doesn't change his pricing characteristics he's going to go bottom up. Also told him to email me if he wanted some consultation ::)

so what do you charge for an acre???

FYS777
03-13-2009, 12:08 AM
I seriously dought you can do a 2 acre lawn in 30 minutes. I suppose if you have a lot thats 2 acres with no trees, extremely smooth that you can mow at full stick. Maybe but I dought it. Then there is trimming on that 2 acre property. Then again if you mow that fast you are probably like a few I see around here that don't own a blower or trimmer. Things like that just take too much time.

I agree with you totally!!!

lawnpro724
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
He may be losing money or he may have a large mower with batwings and can do two acres in 10 minutes. I get $60 an acre around here if there is more to do than just mow and go. If there are trees, curbs, building and so on the price goes up.

FYS777
03-13-2009, 12:24 AM
He may be losing money or he may have a large mower with batwings and can do two acres in 10 minutes. I get $60 an acre around here if there is more to do than just mow and go. If there are trees, curbs, building and so on the price goes up.

I get 115, for acre, with the trimmin and such, differs by area. ( holy batwings batman):):):):)

weasel
03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
keep in mind... you've got 25 posts....

hearing about the low low prices is a daily thing, sometimes hourly, NO, sometimes by the minute 'thing' around here...

Not much you can do about it.... try not to sweat it.... just stay focused on YOUR work, ya know??? No big deal.....

Keep rockin' on.....

and a member since 2006! maybe after 3 yrs on here and reading all the lowballing he took it out on the poor boy down the road from him.:cry:

turfbuilder
03-13-2009, 01:42 AM
I have 2 jobs that are 2acres+. 1 is pretty flat with about 10 trees. Takes about an hour with my 62inchZ. $60.00

The other is more hilly and more trimming. Takes about 1hr 25min. $80.00

If I'm getting $1/min I'm Happy!!:usflag::usflag:

topsites
03-13-2009, 02:11 AM
and a member since 2006! maybe after 3 yrs on here and reading all the lowballing he took it out on the poor boy down the road from him.:cry:

That could be, too...
Wouldn't be the first time I've done it, guess I shouldn't have said much.

Then again, it ain't right but I kinda figure it makes the receiving end get tougher,
which, in this day and age it's coming, sooner or later.

So now I'm the bad guy - I'm sorry, but there's no way someone can make it in this area for that. I can tell this is the guy's first year and I'm actually hoping he emails me back so I can help the man out.

ahhh, it's all good.

bohiaa
03-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Gentelmen, Gentelmen,,,

this AD that he seen does NOT give you enoulf information to go on.

We charge about the same price, around 35.00 per acer.
that's acer mowing, with a tractor. what that will do is. bring in about 700.00 a day.
we can get to 20 acres in 1 day.

our largest is 5000 acres, however we dont cut all of it. and where the gravey comes in at is shreading, round bails come in very nicely durring the winter months. I have seen it as high as 200.00 a bail.

BLS 2002
03-13-2009, 05:18 PM
I appreciate the feedback guys - I've been doing this since 2002.. been a member of lawnsite since 2006. Most of the time I read the posts and develop my own opinion. It is a wealth of information nonetheless. I am a man of good moral values and ethical beliefs. I was wrong to criticize the competition – let this be a lesson for everyone. As the saying goes; loose lips sink ships – they’ll get what’s coming to them. It just so happens that I’ve been looking in the same classified ads for 6 years now eyeing up the competition and yesterday is the first day that I have seen such an absurd price. In this area we don’t mow 100 acres at a time. You’re lucky if you can get a one acre lot and the lots are scattered around a 30 mile radius. Being somewhat close to D.C. and Baltimore we have one of the fastest growing counties in the nation (i.e. traffic is always chaos.) The ad in itself is deceptive -- if you mow an acre for 30 dollars that would mean you should accommodate for less land - average developments around here have about a quarter of an acre… are you going to charge 25% of 30 dollars? I hope not.

THC
03-13-2009, 09:40 PM

Also told him to email me if he wanted some consultation ::)
If that guy emails you back it will probably be in Spanish.

$35 is 10k lot for me. ( less then a quarter acre)

SCAG POWER
03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Yep he is a low ball-er, and the kid next door , will mow a corner lot for 10 dollars. Yep i have heard it before . But the all time favorite is guess what,,,,,,,are you ready THE FIREMAN WILL DO IT CHEAPER well call him then and i can go back just having a nice day.BTW I get 50 bucks per acre.

weasel
03-13-2009, 11:33 PM
I appreciate the feedback guys - I've been doing this since 2002.. been a member of lawnsite since 2006. Most of the time I read the posts and develop my own opinion. It is a wealth of information nonetheless. I am a man of good moral values and ethical beliefs. I was wrong to criticize the competition – let this be a lesson for everyone. As the saying goes; loose lips sink ships – they’ll get what’s coming to them. It just so happens that I’ve been looking in the same classified ads for 6 years now eyeing up the competition and yesterday is the first day that I have seen such an absurd price. In this area we don’t mow 100 acres at a time. You’re lucky if you can get a one acre lot and the lots are scattered around a 30 mile radius. Being somewhat close to D.C. and Baltimore we have one of the fastest growing counties in the nation (i.e. traffic is always chaos.) The ad in itself is deceptive -- if you mow an acre for 30 dollars that would mean you should accommodate for less land - average developments around here have about a quarter of an acre… are you going to charge 25% of 30 dollars? I hope not.
We've all made some bad decisions.

foreplease
03-14-2009, 12:19 AM
...I'd love it if you could explain what, exactly, this means.

...and where the gravey comes in at is shreading, round bails come in very nicely durring the winter months. I have seen it as high as 200.00 a bail.

dougmartin2003
03-14-2009, 03:19 PM
if he wants too cut 1 acre for $30, then he can have it

LawnSharkMowing
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Wow...your lowest is $35.00 is that a month or per cut? I live in Tampa, FL and the cheapest general rate if between $65-$70 and thats on a 40x160 lot!

punt66
03-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Wow...your lowest is $35.00 is that a month or per cut? I live in Tampa, FL and the cheapest general rate if between $65-$70 and thats on a 40x160 lot!
Thats per cut. We dont do monthly year round payment contracts up north like you guys do.

keller's
03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I wasted my time reading this post.

Carolina Cuts
03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
I wasted my time reading this post.

:laugh::laugh: Hoping and just wishing it would get a little better.... but no, it didn't.

bohiaa
03-18-2009, 01:00 AM
...I'd love it if you could explain what, exactly, this means.

What this means is, IF you shread, then run your bailer over it then sell the round bails, It's NOt out of the ordanery to make 4 to 5 thousand a day.

It's CALLED hay.

depending on the type of grasses determains the price, 2 yrs ago, I seen it as high as 200.00 per bale,

Transporting comes into play, right now I can only transport 5 per load.

foreplease
03-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks bohiaa. For some reason I thought it said Gravely, which really had me confused.