PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Lawn Care History

Ben's Landscape
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
So I figured that i would finally tell you guys about my biz!!

I started out when i was like 11-12. I had a naibor that was going away for about a mounth and she asked me to take care of the lawn. Well she liked it so much that word got around and before i knew it i had 3 lawns plus my own.

The next season was a great success with going to 5 lawns and me finally buying my own mower. Up until then i was using my dad's.

By the 2008 (4 yrs later) I got myself up to 8 costumers. I also am working at a boat yard. So during the summer i would work 10 hr days then go and cut a couple of lawns. I was also able to buy my self a new redmax bp.

This year i already have some work for some of my teachers. I am still in highschool. Word of mouth has got me many jobs through teachers. I have to go and quote out an install and a couple of lawn mowing jobs.

I plan on staying in the biz for life. I am going to colledge and majoring in landscape arch. and biz management. Hopefully some day having a lawnmower repair shop and still send a crew out to do the lawns. I am an Eagle Scout and an Honors student at my school.

Best of luck in 09!!!!

DLAWNS
03-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Good for you, man. Keep up the good work! Good luck in '09.

mikewhit1010
03-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Sounds like you have a lot of plans. One thing I would suggest is use spell check. Some of those words are way off.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of plans. One thing I would suggest is use spell check. Some of those words are way off.

Haha i thought it was only me:laugh:

Good Luck!!

Ben's Landscape
03-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys!! I am sortof new to the site and haven't had time to find the spell check yet!! SRY!! Best of luck to you guys also in '09

teamgreendude
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
So I figured that i would finally tell you guys about my biz!!

I started out when i was like 11-12. I had a naibor that was going away for about a mounth and she asked me to take care of the lawn. Well she liked it so much that word got around and before i knew it i had 3 lawns plus my own.

The next season was a great success with going to 5 lawns and me finally buying my own mower. Up until then i was using my dad's.

By the 2008 (4 yrs later) I got myself up to 8 costumers. I also am working at a boat yard. So during the summer i would work 10 hr days then go and cut a couple of lawns. I was also able to buy my self a new redmax bp.

This year i already have some work for some of my teachers. I am still in highschool. Word of mouth has got me many jobs through teachers. I have to go and quote out an install and a couple of lawn mowing jobs.

I plan on staying in the biz for life. I am going to colledge and majoring in landscape arch. and biz management. Hopefully some day having a lawnmower repair shop and still send a crew out to do the lawns. I am an Eagle Scout and an Honors student at my school.

Best of luck in 09!!!!

no way bro i just became an eagle 2 weeks ago i here only 4% of boy nation wide become eagles

Ben's Landscape
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
No way!! Good for you!! Yea the number of Eaglescouts nationwide is surly going down. I feel that it has really helped me. Send me a PM and we can talk.

G&G Maintenace
06-05-2009, 04:18 PM
eagle scout here also...although that was 8 years ago.

Ben's Landscape
06-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I didn't realize how many eagle scouts there were out there in the Landscaping field!! Im from Rhode Island by the way!!

badgerfan
06-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you are figuring things out pretty well. Definately make sure that you go to college because it will teach you allot about time management and widen your view on the world. Even if you don't use your degree in the landscape maintenance field, you will surely be able to benefit from the rigors of schooling. Another tip, it sounds like you should advertise more so that you can obtain more mowing work, so that you won't have to go to work at the boat yard anymore!!

Ben's Landscape
07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Sounds like you are figuring things out pretty well. Definately make sure that you go to college because it will teach you allot about time management and widen your view on the world. Even if you don't use your degree in the landscape maintenance field, you will surely be able to benefit from the rigors of schooling. Another tip, it sounds like you should advertise more so that you can obtain more mowing work, so that you won't have to go to work at the boat yard anymore!!

Thats exactly what i am going to do. I quit the boat yard job yesterday. I liked what i was doing but my boss was telling me to come in at 9 and he would not show up until 10. On top of it he would not pay me for the time I waited for him. He wanted me to work from 9 to whenever at night. When he knew that i had lawns to cut. Also he would not give us overtime or anything. So if i worked 66 hours (which i did) i would get 594. (9 dollars an hour). So i finally said thats it.

You guys would like this. He had me in the truck testing the lights for a boat trailer. Sat there calling me an idiot when the trailer lights wernt working. Saying that i wasn't putting the directionals on when i was. It turned out he didn't even have the pulg in all the way. This is how everyday was like at that place!!

Just figured i would give an update that i am going to do landscaping full time now!!

Ben

bighaydenslawn
07-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Thats exactly what i am going to do. I quit the boat yard job yesterday. I liked what i was doing but my boss was telling me to come in at 9 and he would not show up until 10. On top of it he would not pay me for the time I waited for him. He wanted me to work from 9 to whenever at night. When he knew that i had lawns to cut. Also he would not give us overtime or anything. So if i worked 66 hours (which i did) i would get 594. (9 dollars an hour). So i finally said thats it.

You guys would like this. He had me in the truck testing the lights for a boat trailer. Sat there calling me an idiot when the trailer lights wernt working. Saying that i wasn't putting the directionals on when i was. It turned out he didn't even have the pulg in all the way. This is how everyday was like at that place!!

Just figured i would give an update that i am going to do landscaping full time now!!

Ben

Congrats on moving your business to full time!

How many accts. do you have and how long do they take you with just a 21"?

Any landscape or hedging, etc. jobs?

DLAWNS
07-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Ben

Good for you! Best of luck!

Ben's Landscape
07-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Congrats on moving your business to full time!

How many accts. do you have and how long do they take you with just a 21"?

Any landscape or hedging, etc. jobs?

Thanks

Right now i have about 8 accounts. There is one that i do sometimes because the guy is always in and out of the hospital. He is a good guy so i do not mind the sparatic calls to cut the lawn.

I also have a ton of side jobs to cut hedges, edge and a couple of mulch jobs.

All of my accouts are residential so it takes me about an hour to cut with the triming and blowing off of driveway and patios.

I am always trying to get more work. I passed out magnets to all of my costumers to put on there fridges. I figure guests will see that. Hope it picks up. Next year when i am 18 I plan on buying someone elses biz. Is this a good idea??

jeffslawnservice
07-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Yo dude congatulations on going full time. I'm still going part time and working for another landscaper as my full time summer job but i have been pretty busy at both so I cant complain. I don't think I would go and try and buy a buisness. Try advertising some more. I tell my current customers that if they refer work to me thenb they get one cut at half price and so far doing this has gotten me alot of work. Also word of mouth has worked good for me. But it sounds that quitting the boat yard job was a good idea. Hope you have the best of luck going full time in the biz.

Ben's Landscape
07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks Jeffslawnservice. I like the idea of give the costumer a half price cut if you refer someone. I am suprised that you can work full time for a landscaper and landscape yourself!!??!!??!! I know in RI Landscapers would feel like you are stealing work from them. Landscapers around here will not even talk to you about equipment.

Good thing for Lawnsite!!

manty1311
08-31-2009, 12:32 PM

Ben

Don't trust people who won't pay you fairly.

Ben's Landscape
09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Thats exactly right. Since that experience I have decieded that I do not want to work for anybody I want to be my own boss.

Ben's Landscape
09-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Just figured i would let all of you know. Make sure you check out my pics. I have been keeping very busy this summer. I have done some huge mulch jobs, big clean ups and some more cutting costumers. I am also fixing mowers and boats on the side. I guess that quiting the boat yard worked out best for me.