PDA

View Full Version : Fence Installation pricing

Ziob
03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
What do you guys get typically for fence installation and do you charge by the foot or by the hour???? if by the foot what do you get??? trying to price out a split rail fence installation this spring i know the materials just curious what others get for the labor.

Kiril
03-13-2009, 11:22 AM
If you haven't done it before ... (estimated materials) + (2 x (estimated labor)) + overhead

Ziob
03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
done it several times for myself and family did a few jobs but feel i was underpriced on the labor just asking around what others usually charge.

Kiril
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
done it several times for myself and family did a few jobs but feel i was underpriced on the labor just asking around what others usually charge.

Fences I have built in the past have ranged from $25/foot - $50/foot depending on style and current material prices ... but then when I build a fence I expect it to last 50-100 years.

Ziob
03-13-2009, 12:13 PM
split rail fences are pretty easy so i take it you'd go around 25 - 30 bucks a foot plus materials?

Kiril
03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
split rail fences are pretty easy so i take it you'd go around 25 - 30 bucks a foot plus materials?

The prices I put up include materials. Split rail is dead simple to install, I would think more along the lines of $10-15/foot depending on material costs and installation method.

bluridge
03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Ziob,

I have been thinking of putting on CL an advertisement to install split rail fencing. My neighbor paid $3K for theirs and it *looks* like their wood is not weather treat...and their post seem to not be sturdy in the ground that you get when tapping dirt around the post. Regardless, they paid $3K.

I called a couple of fence installation companies and request a bid. One came back at $2400 and they apparently measured my current fence at 204 linear feet. That comes to $11.76/ft. But they include removing my old fence and using concrete at the footing.

Still waiting on the other two estimates and probably take a week to get. IMO it is easier to remove old fence and maybe clean up the hole and put in another post than to start from scratch...unless I have this Stihl Earth Auger :rolleyes:

Take it for what its worth...but here in my area homes are sky-high so fence installation probably comes with the territory. I would say for my area removing old fence and installing WT wood would be between $2500 - $3300.

Hope this helps.

bluridge
03-13-2009, 01:19 PM
sorry should have included that the $2400 includes all material and removal of old fence. Sounds pretty cheap but this also includes putting in concrete at the foot of the post holes...surprises me on this. I say surprises me because typically weather treat rot occurs at the post foot below the ground...a few of my post have broken completely off at ground level. Also last year I removed one post because HOA sent me a letter to get busy :dancing: LOL so I removed the post and below the ground there was very little wood left. So we know that post rot in the ground before the fence outside, I can see why they use concrete in the footing. But the outside will rot too probably 2 or 3 years later and then you'd have to deal with removing concrete if reinstalling fence again.

Or maybe this bid just put concrete down and had not planned on doing it as they know most homeowners will not verify?

Regardless, counter guy at Southern States said WT wood typically lasts 10-13 years. The post I installed last year feels firm when tapping the post, and my neighbor's fence that was done by lawn scape contractors moved easily when I pushed on the post. I hate sloppy/lazy contractors who do not do the job right the first time!

Ziob
03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
thanks for the info that does seem pretty cheap especially with all the materials included and hauling away the old fence. then again the lumber for split rail isn't to bad you'd be talking like 20 posts and then usually only 2 railsthey probably knocked it out in a half day if they had the right tools.

i'm probably going to price out all the materials first and then see where i'd stand if i charged around 12 bucks a linear foot.

bluridge
03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I priced out all of the materials from Southern States store in Manassas. This is after I got the cost for each split rail, post, corner post etc etc. My total cost also is with building three gates and buying the weather treat lumber from Lowes along with the hinges and the like. Total comes to $845 for all of the materials and this does not include the wire fence. Not sure what this cost but I recall Southern States charging $125 or $150 for a roll which is probably 100 yard rolls. So Total cost with everything is close to $1,000 for the materials. I can easily build the gates to match my gates so I know what they look like.

Still if the fence installer charges me $2400 that means their labor is right at $1400 and this is probably a 4 hour job for 3 guys so the profit is there but you are right, removing all of the leftovers is a killer. I would think for a pro-fence company they would want a $1600 profit. Maybe spring time is cheaper than the dog days of summer work? Also I can tell you, removing old post is probably a piece of cake and they probably will not have to spend too much time digging a hole with a post hole digger.