PDA

View Full Version : stump grinding, going rate...should this be here?

bluridge
03-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I have a stump in my yard that is about 15" circumference. What is the going rate to hire out to grind? I can probably rent a grinder for $65 a day. I was just wondering how much this will cost. Do any of you guys do stump grinding?

On another note, what is a good stump grinder? I tried looking across the internet for a hand pulled one and hardly find any used ones. My guess is the tow behind are the good ones?

Thanks for any input

Nick's Lawn Care
03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
A vermeer 252c is the smallest hydro you can get... its a good little grinder.

I would charge around $4-$5 per square in.

IntegrityGuy
03-13-2009, 12:58 PM
A vermeer 252c is the smallest hydro you can get... its a good little grinder.

I would charge around $4-$5 per square in.

Are you shure? a 12 inch diameter tree at the base would cost 565$ just to grind your saying. I think your cost is too high. would charge 1$ per square foot which would make it 113$ which is reasonable.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Are you shure? a 12 inch diameter tree at the base would cost 565$ just to grind your saying. I think your cost is too high. would charge 1$ per square foot which would make it 113$ which is reasonable.

Huh where did you get 565? :hammerhead: Why square foot? we're talking about inches...

IntegrityGuy
03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
????
12 inches as the diameter = 6 inch radious

3.14rsquared =

6 squared= 36

36x3.14=113.04

times 113.04X5$ = 565$

unless im doing something wrong.

topsites
03-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Either do it for free or sub it out, done.

Macrae
03-13-2009, 01:59 PM

I think you meant to say "square inch" and you would be correct that a 12" diameter stump, at $5/sq.in. would be $565 at Nick's cost.

A= R * R * 3.14 or ( 6 X 6 X 3.14=113 sq.in. @ $5/in is $565! )

yardatwork
03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
It cost about as much to grind a stump as it does to take it down...ball park figure. Of course it'll always be cheaper to do it yourself!

Nick's Lawn Care
03-13-2009, 03:37 PM
It cost about as much to grind a stump as it does to take it down...ball park figure. Of course it'll always be cheaper to do it yourself!

It takes a while to take out a stump with a grinder... unless you have a 602 or bigger... there is also alot of costs for the machine, fuel, pay someone to operate it, so on...

I estimated $3-$5 for taking the stump out and leveling the ground off, also putting down seed...

Just taking out the stump i would say around $1-$3...

Just my 2 cents..

Nick

bluridge
03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
So lets say $2 per inch is the going rate. For a 12 inch stump, that makes is $24 which does not seem right considering the high cost of a stump grinder and considering you can rent one for $65 a day...or maybe I got the daily rate of renting wrong too! I think I got my numbers messed up...because I know my mom a few years ago had a large diameter stump like 36" or 48" grinded for like $250...I forgot exact what she paid and I will have to ask her but it was not that cheap. But then again its hard to dig out a behemoth of a stump so she probably had no choice.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
So lets say $2 per inch is the going rate. For a 12 inch stump, that makes is $24 which does not seem right considering the high cost of a stump grinder and considering you can rent one for $65 a day...or maybe I got the daily rate of renting wrong too! I think I got my numbers messed up...because I know my mom a few years ago had a large diameter stump like 36" or 48" grinded for like $250...I forgot exact what she paid and I will have to ask her but it was not that cheap. But then again its hard to dig out a behemoth of a stump so she probably had no choice.

No you do the Diameter = 12 inches / 2 = 6 * 6 *3.14 = 113.04

$113= $1 PER INCH
$226= $2 PER INCH

any more questions just ask...

Nick

SimonCX
03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Figure $125-150 to do the stump you want, I would have someone come a do it because the rental grinders usually have bad teeth and with a walkbehind your going to be there a while. The 252 with the 3 wheels is the biggest pita there is, I demoed it before I got our carlton and I hated it.

muddstopper
03-13-2009, 06:54 PM
If someone called me with just one 15inch stump, it would cost them $150. If the stump was only 6inches, it would still cost them $150. If I priced that 15in stump at $3 per in dia, I wouldnt make enough to cover my cost. I dont know what anybody considers a lot of time, but that stump would be gone in 15 minutes after i got unloaded. It isnt the time it takes to grind the stump people are paying me for, they are paying me to own the equipment, load the equipment, hual the equipment, maintain the equipment and remove their stump, then return home, unload the equipment and clean it and store it until the next job. You might get away with inch pricing on jobs with lots of stumps, but I prefer to give a contract price based on how long it will take me to complete the job.

Runner
03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
We get about 3 bucks an inch around here. this is measured from the FARTHEST point across, is just the diameter. A 12" stump would normally go for $36, but there is a $60 minimum. Two of this size would be $72.

muddstopper
03-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Runner, I dont think I would even show up at your $60 minimum. Actually, I know I wouldnt show up for $60. I cant justify the time it would take me to pull a trailer 20 miles or more one way in time spent and fuel consumed at that price to even leave the shop. I get a $150 minimum or turn the job down. Of course, stump grinding isnt something I try to sell and doing stump removal takes away from the other things I get paid to do.

yardatwork
03-14-2009, 08:19 AM
This is the problem with all landscaping jobs. The homeowner only looks at the actual time that you are on the job. They forget about all the travel, the tax you'll pay on what you make from the job (if you're going flat rate), the time to load at home, unload at site, reload at site, drive home, unload at home again, clean machine, etc.

A half hour job could actually be a two hour job when it's all said and done.

BostonBull
03-14-2009, 12:52 PM
15" stump. Take grindings or leave them? Can we back a tow behind up to it?

if we can use our tow behind, 1102a, its a $80 job, grindings stay. $120 take grindings.
If its in the back yard we will use the TX60 and its $130-$150 for the stump, add $70 to take grindings from the backyard.

This is without seeing it, the run up to it, or the surrounding area.

Mowingman
03-14-2009, 01:47 PM
The little machines. about the size on a lawnmower, are worthless and will beat you to death in about 30 minutes. If you are going to get into this business, do it right. You need to start out with a small, hydraulic drive, self propelled grinder. A good starter machine would be a used Rayco 1625 or a like machine of another brand. Forget the big pull-behind machines. You can not get into a lot of yards with those, and will lose a lot of jobs.
I get about $4.00 - $5.00/inch diameter ,on the average.

IntegrityGuy
03-14-2009, 02:32 PM
No you do the Diameter = 12 inches / 2 = 6 * 6 *3.14 = 113.04

$113= $1 PER INCH
$226= $2 PER INCH

any more questions just ask...

Nick

thats what i said copyer, you said 5 dollers:hammerhead:

Think Green
03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Original Poster,
This tree in question, are there any visible roots coming up out from around the root flare of this stump? In other words, are there any visible roots close to the stump?
If so, you will need to measaure to where the farthest root extends and then across the girth of the stump. Roots need to come out too.

david shumaker
03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Original Poster,
This tree in question, are there any visible roots coming up out from around the root flare of this stump? In other words, are there any visible roots close to the stump?
If so, you will need to measaure to where the farthest root extends and then across the girth of the stump. Roots need to come out too.

That's right, you will have to consider the roots also. If you are going to replant the area, it's hard to prepare the area with a bunch of roots. I've seen the roots keep resprouting on some trees.

Some of the companies around here charge $100.00 minimum for a stump or a few small ones.

*trucewhiteflag*

david shumaker
03-14-2009, 07:34 PM
This is the problem with all landscaping jobs. The homeowner only looks at the actual time that you are on the job. They forget about all the travel, the tax you'll pay on what you make from the job (if you're going flat rate), the time to load at home, unload at site, reload at site, drive home, unload at home again, clean machine, etc.

A half hour job could actually be a two hour job when it's all said and done.

I know what you mean. On some jobs I spend alot of time just loading and unloading the tools and equipment. Plus the time for maintainance, etc., etc.

I did a small landscaping job this week that took about 6 hours for the work, but spent about 2 hours going back and forth to Lowes because of changes in the job or needed more materials.

Suppose we asked a customer to come to our house and do our laundry. And also, bring their own washer, dryer, laundry detergent, etc. And pay them $40.00 or $50.00. They would say "NO".

JNyz
03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Just sub the job out, stump grinding is a PITA. I do it a few times a week.

muddstopper
03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I usually like the stump jobs i get. In fact i usually get just about everyone I price. I started doing stumps when the 430 max stiener I bought in a auction came with a grinder. I made some money with this setup, but the 20hp Onan just didnt have the umph to do any serious grinding. It was great for the backyard jobs and tight spots. When I bought the 31hp turbo diesel Ventrac, the steiner attachment fit with just a change of belts. There is a definate difference in the diesel versus the Onan. Most of my stump grinding is done in lawn renovations or new lawn installs. I cant think of a better setup than the one I have for this situation. I can load the grinder, harley rake, loader bucket, trencher and Ventrac on one trailer and just make one trip to do it all. I hook it behind the truck with the hydroseeder and its start to finish in one trip. I havent cranked the Steiner in a couple of years but at one time I would load both tractors with attachments on the trailer and with an extra operator we could turn out a lot of work in one day.

mtg97
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Just because its 65 a day to rent doesnt mean its going to be easy, and the home owner or average guy can do it, its like when you bid a job for skidsteer work and the home owner tells you, well i can rent one for 250 a day. Their not paying me to drop my bobcat off and for me to look at my machine and tell it what to do, they are paying me for my knowledge to do the job and do it right, and to haul/ transport the machine and all the tools. Im sure Johnny home owner can shove that 65 dollar a day stump grinder in his lexus' trunk two times in one day.:nono:

Elite Outdoor
04-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Here its $2.5 to $3.5 per inch diameter. Plus a $1 an inch chasing roots, and leaving the wood chips. I sub mine out, rental grinders are crap. Save yourself, pay someone to do it.