PDA

View Full Version : Brush removal

EJD Lawnpride
03-13-2009, 04:03 PM
What is the best way to remove brush on 3960ft2 of area? It is mostly multiflora rose, etc. Would a walk behind brushcutter work? They really don't want to disturb the land underneath it. How would you charge this type of work? Thanks

LB1234
03-13-2009, 09:33 PM
60 x 65 area. That can be done with a rented WB brush cutter. We own a billy goat model (don't remember exact) that can handle high brush easily. This one can go as fast as you can walk...faster actually. Won't tear up the ground bad at all. I mean I wouldn't cut turf with it but it would do fine for what seems you need to do. Slows down a little if there is anything over 1" caliper though. 2" caliper is about its limit depending on what it is.

2' per pass is 30 passes. Assume 2 minutes per pass that's an hour of cutting. Rental yard and travel time assume another 2 hrs round trip. Charge 4 man-hours of your labor rate. Might consider a premium cost for this since its a little hard on the body.

only you know your costs.

EJD Lawnpride
03-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I do know my costs but never did this type of work. So i didn't know about time to complete. Do you just rake up the material? There is a little bit of a slope will this affect the brushhog?

LB1234
03-13-2009, 11:58 PM
no to the slopes...but steep grades I would worry about the engine with lack of oil. I don't rake the materials...but these are places with plants that they do not want...not sure about the rose though. I guess it depends on what the customer is after.

EJD Lawnpride
03-14-2009, 09:51 AM
They want to plant grass seed there. The pricker bushes are the size of forsythia bushes. Will the brushog still be able to chew it up?

LB1234
03-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't see any need to brush hog it. That will only remove the stuff down to about 3 or so inches. You are going to half to physically remove that stuff before planting grass.

Get your self a mini-skid with grapple bucket, standard bucket, and cultivator. Pull all the crap out with the bucket and remove. use the bucket to bring in some topsoil or amendments (not sure whats needed) and then cultivate. One days labor.