PDA

View Full Version : LED, what about for general use?

NightScenes
03-13-2009, 03:51 PM
James and all, I have been doing some thinking and am looking at the possibilities of retrofitting commercial properties and other buildings with LED products. I'm not sure what exactly is available although I do remember seeing many different options at Lightfair last year.

Who makes that best product to replace things like wall packs or flood lights? How about replacing interior can lights? What about decorative exterior lights?

What kind of color are these fixtures or lamps putting out? What about the warranty, will they last as long as they say they will or as long as they should?

Lots of stuff to talk about on this subject although it really has more to do with architectural lighting than landscape lighting. There are a lot of HID landscape lights out there to replace as well though and we need to hit on that as well.

David Gretzmier
03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
In my BNI group there is a fairly large electrical contractor who does many green certifications for business' wishing to lower thier carbon footprint and become carbon neutral for marketing purposes. The LED's that he installs in a 120 volt setting are very few and far in between. He offers them, but cost wise, he said it is pretty hard to convince a company to use a 960 buck LED sconce when a CFL with a nice color rendering 3000-4000k does the job, with the same lumens and same watts consumed, for a 300 dollar cost and down. The main places he installs LED's are inside commercial signs and other difficult to change bulb locations. the lifespan of those LED's is close to 3-4 times of CFL, but he has been burned by earlier LED's that were not mounted properly to heatsinks.