PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used propane ZTRs

blue ridge lawn care
03-13-2009, 05:14 PM
I keep seeing magazine articles on propane powered mowers. Ferris and Dixie Chopper have them, plus there are smaller companies and conversions. The concept sounds good, but I'm wondering how it works in real life? Any experiences? Opinions?

Pietro
03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Good luck finding a mech to work on em. Seems like a good idea, but Im not the one who buys something when its new......I like to wait a year or so and let them work out the bugs.

ed2hess
03-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I think most of the things are worked out except how to keep the tanks full. Local shop installs the kit and services them and has done so for 4 years. A lot of them running all brands. They had a 21" Honda set to go yesterday. Local dealer sells propane at low price but still has no delivery ....that will come with time. All the resturants in our town get propane delivered in small containesrs He is converting a bunch of trucks on one of the bigger lawn companies.

LawnMowerKing10
03-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Scag has a propane mower

Dodge2
03-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I heard that the engines are almost the same, and the only difference is the way the fuel is delivered. I also know that propane is a cleaner buring fuel so that should mean that there will be less "gunk" inside the engine. They also seem to last longer too. The main thing I would be worried about is the fuel delivery system, and having a full propane can in the trailer with it all the time just in case you run out of fuel while on the job.

EagleLandscape
03-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I saw one on a hustler ztr on a right of way in dallas. the company that is using them is one of the biggest in dallas, if not the biggest. there has to be some reason why they are using them. propane is typically 3x the price of natural gas, don't know how it compares to gasoline though.

JimQ
03-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is a little interesting reading for you regarding Propane powered mowers and why you might want to use one.

A few more to follow...

Q

JimQ
03-13-2009, 06:48 PM
A few more...

And a few links

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/propane_laws.html

http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1186

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/implementation/air/terp/index.html

:drinkup:

Q

mowerbrad
03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I actually contemplated purchasing a propane unit this year but opted out and will instead go with a regular gas model. I liked the fact that it was "green" for those customers that are concerned with the environment. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that it would be more of a pain than anything else. There aren't too many places around hear that sell propane, the the couple that do are all at one end of town, so if I have to refill at the other end of town I would have to drive well out of my route.

pikewillis1
03-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey Blue Ridge,

I am a dealer for Enviroguard propane mowers here in Manassas Virginia. Here are some advantage of running propane:
Pros for running propane mowers

1. they burn 80-90% cleaner than gas
2. the propane mowers we sell are 10% more effecient than gas
3. the mowers burn cleaner so the maintenance should be cut in half
4. there is good evidence that these engines will last longer due to propane running cleaner
5. Federal and state tax incentives where applicable
6. Propane is made in America. If you gotta pay for fuel pay American workers
7. When gas was 4.00 a gallon here in D.C propane was 2.10

We have partnered with AmeriGas and they will set up a propane cage at your office and will come there weekly or more to refill the empty cannisters.

We have machines in stock at the office if you want to demo and if you want to talk with local landscapers who run these mowers we can set that up too.

Call me or email me if you want to learn more.

Trey Willis
703 919 5291
www.esequipmentllc.com

bob
03-14-2009, 03:45 PM
My dealers' open house had a Scag propane model on display. It also runs on gasoline. My biggest concern was that 2 very large full propane tanks, must add a couple of hundred pounds to the weight.

lifetree
03-15-2009, 10:26 PM
... Im not the one who buys something when its new......I like to wait a year or so and let them work out the bugs.

That's what I do ... however, I usually wait more than a year !!

blue ridge lawn care
03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably wait a little longer and see how it works for other people.

burge19
03-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Scag has a propane mower

Yeah i heard scag has a conversion kit for them. My dad tested one out last year and he said they were real nice. They burn a lot cleaner, and seem to last about the same as a tank of gas would.