PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander $2400 more than Great Dane Surfer

turfbuilder
03-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Is the Wright Stander that much better than the Great Dane Surfer?
Turfbuilder

heybruck34
03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I own a Sentar and have toured the Wright factory. Big fan of their products thus far.

But D@MN, that's just about a whole mower. I mean, if a Stander is 7K is the Wright 35% better than the Dane?

I'd probably buy the Dane depending on dealer support. WOW.

mr mow
03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a 52" surfer, I like it...and even more now, with that price differential. Never used a stander, but I dont think they have (or they used to not) floating decks, which is sort of a negative. Otherwise they are good. $2400 good? probably not.

turfbuilder
03-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Actually a new 52 inch Stander priced out at $7400.00 at a local dealer. The Supersurfer same size and exact engine 23hp Kawasaki priced out at $5200.00
$2200 dif. Now I feel pretty good about my deal.
I picked up a new 2007 Great Dane 52 inch with a 19hp kawasaki. Not a supersurfer with a floating deck though for $3795.00 :usflag:

farmboy1285
03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
I have a great dane 52" with 19 kaw and looked for months trying to figure out which one was better. I decided to go with the dane because of the price. People say that there is a huge difference, I dont think it is that big, I think it all boils down to what kind of a slope you will be working on. I take mine on somepretty steep hills, it gets kind of squirrely and you have to know how to manage it but it is not that big of a deal. From what I hear the wright sticks to hills like glue. Also not that it makes that big of a deal but the last time I checked the dane goes 9 mph and the wright does 8.5 mph, unless you will be drag racing other lcos I wouldnt make that a big factor. My only complaint with the dane is that with the stock blades the grass tends to clump coming out of the chute, but I bought some mulching blades and problem solved, I can go through 1 weeks growth at full stick and it looks perfect, like I went 2 mph thru it. I will admit that the wright is a better machine anyday but $2400 more, NO WAY. Im am glad that I chose the dane over the wright after all $2400 can buy alot of things. Of course there are some people out there that will undoubtedly post on this saying how much better wright is but remember this, if the wright costs 35% more, you are going to have to mow 35% more lawns and there is no way that the dane is 35% less productive than the wright. Good luck with your decision, I hope I havent Hacked to many people off...

Oh by the way these are some of the slopes that I do with my dane...
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/farmboy1285/Picture0792.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/farmboy1285/Picture0752.jpg

The pics dont show the slopes very well they are alot worse than they look, hope this helps.

turfbuilder
03-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice pics and thanks for the information.
Good Luck this season!:weightlifter:

mr mow
03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Turf-that seems like a decent price...is it a demo?

ed2hess
03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
I have a great dane 52" with 19 kaw and looked for months trying to figure out which one was better. I decided to go with the dane because of the price. People say that there is a huge difference, I dont think it is that big, I think it all boils down to what kind of a slope you will be working on. I take mine on somepretty steep hills, it gets kind of squirrely and you have to know how to manage it but it is not that big of a deal. From what I hear the wright sticks to hills like glue. Also not that it makes that big of a deal but the last time I checked the dane goes 9 mph and the wright does 8.5 mph, unless you will be drag racing other lcos I wouldnt make that a big factor. My only complaint with the dane is that with the stock blades the grass tends to clump coming out of the chute, but I bought some mulching blades and problem solved, I can go through 1 weeks growth at full stick and it looks perfect, like I went 2 mph thru it. I will admit that the wright is a better machine anyday but $2400 more, NO WAY. Im am glad that I chose the dane over the wright after all $2400 can buy alot of things. Of course there are some people out there that will undoubtedly post on this saying how much better wright is but remember this, if the wright costs 35% more, you are going to have to mow 35% more lawns and there is no way that the dane is 35% less productive than the wright. Good luck with your decision, I hope I havent Hacked to many people off...

Oh by the way these are some of the slopes that I do with my dane...
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/farmboy1285/Picture0792.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/farmboy1285/Picture0752.jpg

The pics dont show the slopes very well they are alot worse than they look, hope this helps.
That last yard looks like it has some pretty bad tracking....that would be trouble in southern grasses in hot weather.

turfbuilder
03-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Mr Mow
It is not a Demo. I saw them on Craigs List. The Dealer had 3 with a 52 inch and 19hp kaw and 1 with a 23hp kaw. My buddy took the 23hp. They all have less than 1hr. on them. They may have 1 left yet. 2 year warranty and they will service them. The 23hp went for $4200.

Turf:usflag:

farmboy1285
03-14-2009, 12:20 AM
That last yard looks like it has some pretty bad tracking....that would be trouble in southern grasses in hot weather.

I think it is just the pic, I have very few problems with tracking

mr mow
03-14-2009, 12:57 AM
nothing wrong with demos...actually pretty good deals. Well anyways seems like you got a decent deal. I do hope it is elec start, kawi's are very cold blooded in our climate...good engines though. Mine has the 23 kohler w elec start and I love it. my 36" WB has a 15hp kawi...can be b###h to start at the beginning of season, but fires in half a pull 90% of the rest of season.

mr mow
03-14-2009, 01:00 AM
I got mine for $3500 w 100hrs and 2 yr warranty. 23hp 52" super surfer....but I got a pretty good deal cause I also bought the 36"

mr mow
03-14-2009, 01:02 AM
oh yeah, becareful and dont leave the key partialy on....I ticked off another 100hrs before I even used it cause i left the key on, lol, was very excited for the season.

turfbuilder
03-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Mine is a electric start and Thanks for the info Mr. Mow.:usflag:

T.E.
03-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I've had both and would never own a surfer again. Yes in my opinion the stander in that much better.

Later, Tony

turfbuilder
03-14-2009, 12:43 PM
T.E.
Thanks for your reply
Turf

AllAmericanlawn
03-15-2009, 01:27 AM
I was thinking of getting a stander style mower, just like the idea. I have test drove both around parking lot, which tells you absolutely nothing. I like the short wide wheelbase the Wright has.(probably the reason it sticks hills so well) The surfer has the spring loaded platform to absorb the bumps, (would come in handy after 7-8 hours of mowing). I am really undecided myself. If price where not a factor would probably go with the Wright, because i have a lot of hills here in TN. Then again i would still have to have a WB on the trailer anyways. I believe i might keep my extra $2400. And maybe take a vacation to Jamaica at the end of the season??????

MileHigh
03-15-2009, 02:04 AM
lawns look great farmboy.

DuallyVette
03-15-2009, 02:10 AM
I have two "Origional Great Dane Surfers" (1997 & 1998) and a JD 657. The original GD's were built on Wright's spec's on wheel placement for the best balance. They will skip over soft turf, so you can mow as soon as he grass dries after a heavy rain. The Super surfer, Gravely, or JD 657 will bury itself on the same turf. The Wright's design does much less turf damage while turning. It's much easier to handle. Wright is the only company that can place their wheels in the BEST location (patented). I wouldn't buy anything other than a Wright, unless I mowed open fields that drained well after a rain. My next mower will be a ZK Stander. I guess Great Dane (etc) know what their mowers are worth.

HenryB
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Why not move the Dane platform back a few inches? Easy enough to do? Then you get the suspention platform and floating deck of the Dane.

mr mow
03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
The dane has a suspension platform and a floating deck. dually vette---Wright I believe is the guys last name, he was one of the founders of scag and actually invented the dane first. left dane and kept the patent and started wright. dane was invented in 96.

MONTE
03-15-2009, 05:43 PM
No the wright is NOT worth that kind of money! I have run both and for the money go with the Dane Everride ETC.

aemoosh
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm telling you wright (get it) now, that the Stander would be worth it if it were five grand more.

Wright has the patent on standing in between the wheels over the mower- that's why I think their mowers are so much more aesthetically pleasing to look at. I feel the Gravelys, Great Danes and other competitors look awkward. I have a normal 52" Stander and a 52" ZK (which I have yet to use, the snow flew too quickly) and they're perfect.
A good lawncare professional knows what height to be cutting a lawn at during whatever part of the season and realistically you should be changing the height of your deck twice in a season. BTW- it does only take me about 70 seconds total to change the deck height from 3" to 3.5" and those are realistically the only changes I ever make.

The Wright is honestly the better machine.

mr mow
03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm telling you wright (get it) now, that the Stander would be worth it if it were five grand more.

Wright has the patent on standing in between the wheels over the mower- that's why I think their mowers are so much more aesthetically pleasing to look at. I feel the Gravelys, Great Danes and other competitors look awkward. I have a normal 52" Stander and a 52" ZK (which I have yet to use, the snow flew too quickly) and they're perfect.
A good lawncare professional knows what height to be cutting a lawn at during whatever part of the season and realistically you should be changing the height of your deck twice in a season. BTW- it does only take me about 70 seconds total to change the deck height from 3" to 3.5" and those are realistically the only changes I ever make.

The Wright is honestly the better machine.

Oh!! since your being honest! lol

turfbuilder
03-15-2009, 09:08 PM
The bottom line for me is I'm getting a new 2007 Great Dane for $3800.00 bucks.
A new Wright is $3500.00 more. For me that's a lot of mowing to re-coup.
Just today I looked at a 2002 Wright 52 in with 2200 hrs and they wanted $3900 for it. :usflag:

Turf:weightlifter:

mr mow
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I just noticed Turf your in wisconsin too. Get Gator(the brand) high lift mulch blades for it, they seem to do alot better in our area. Any other so called gators are junk imo. Not to crazy about the magnum gators either. They are just thicker and dont seem to hold an edge any longer. I think your getting a pretty fair price on the dane...Goodluck!

turfbuilder
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Mr.Mow thanks for the info. I planned on putting new Gator Blades on my Toro ZMaster anyway.:usflag:

DuallyVette
03-15-2009, 11:18 PM
The dane has a suspension platform and a floating deck. dually vette---Wright I believe is the guys last name, he was one of the founders of scag and actually invented the dane first. left dane and kept the patent and started wright. dane was invented in 96.

You got it wrong.

A man named Dane Scagg built the Scagg mower company. Mr Wright (Wright /Velky company that designed the little ride behind wheel thing for WB's) approached Mr Dane about building the Stander, since Scagg had a manufacturing plant. Mr Dane told Mr Wright that it was a lousy idea.

Mr Dane proceeded to build his original "Great Dane Surfer" (which I like better than a Wright Stander). About a year/18 months, after the "Surfer was introduced, The Wright Stander came out. Mr Wright had a patent on the Stander, and the wheel/ operator positions.(the operators weight takes weight off of the front casters, making it a quick light turner)

Mr Wright sued Mr Dane to cease building original Standers + $$$. Mr Dane had to move the wheels around, so they didn't violate Mr Wright's patent. The new mower was called the "Super Surfer" Its slightly more agile as a boat anchor.

The Wright Stander is harder to work on than the original Surfer. The original Surfer also has a sprung standing platform. I find it hard to believe that Wright never made a sprung platform for the standard Strander.

mr mow
03-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok dually I can buy most of that. The surfer was the first "produced", I saw at a trade show in madison one of the first off the assembly lines...that was a while ago. The company I worked for (with input from me) decide to buy a fleet. Problem was, you need to be a very experienced operater to operate one. we had several flip...you know going straight up a hill and the front starts bounceing. One of the jobs I was running, I saw a guy almost get killed by a 61" Original surfer(fixed deck)...front started lifting off the ground and he ended up gunning it rather than gently go reverse (really there is no good way in that situation) and that just sealed the deal. On top of that someone had disconnect the safety on the grips, so it tumbled end of end toward him with blades fully engaged (talk about shitting my pants). Anyway I was right there to shut the mower down before anymore damage was caused. That design is very unsafe and as far as the super surfer being agile, I think I'll take the safety first....and the dane is plenty agile, it will out jook any z any day...walkbehind for that matter. Moving the wheels back was a better idea when you consider safety. One other thing...Im pretty sure your wrong about dane thinking it was a lousy Idea...if so why did the dane come out first? I think it was designed together but wright had the patented and wright wasnt happy with the business partnership.

DuallyVette
03-16-2009, 01:24 AM
OK Mr Mower.
If you have dare devils, with no common sense working with you...you better leave them in the truck...or maybe at home. You can't fix stupid.

I think the Origonal Surfer is VERY easy to learn to operate, and become comfortable with.

I gave a dealers loaner to my crew leader, to replace his broken Z. He said that he didn't want to use that pos. I said fine, use the WB, it was 52 inches also.

After the 1st day, he said that he used it on some flat lawns, and it was pretty good. But he wanted his Z back.

After the 2nd day, he said that it was ok on most of the hills that day also.

When he came in the 3rd day, I told him that his Z was repaired, and that I would take the loaner back and get his Z.

He told me that he NEEDED the origonal Surfer...He didn't want the Z back. We cut our mowing times way down with the new surfers.

I like them so much that I'm still using them (1997 models). They have 27 hp Kohlers on them now.

Mr Scagg LIED to Mr Wright when he told him the stander was a bad idea...but I wasn't there, just heard this story many times.

DuallyVette
03-16-2009, 01:28 AM
As for "someone disconnected the safty grips....It doesn't have safty grips. It has an operator presence switch in the standing platform...get off, and the blades stop. Its also easier to get off of in an emergency than a Z, that your supposed to be belted into.

mr mow
03-16-2009, 01:47 AM
dually---take it easy, I dont believe I was attacking you. As far as "my guys" yes my crew, I dont get to pick them, yes I had alot of input compared to most guys...but these are large jobs 7 person crew, 3 truck and trailers full of guys and mowers. This crew alot of times is the break-in for new guys, there are also guy with the exp and everything in between. At some point you have to stick them on a rider, but you cant be everywhere at once. And yes I was right there with the guy on the dane..trimming and watching. You try to teach them everything you know and you get alot of head nods. You have to beable to release them at some point and I did. He made a poor decision but it could of happen to you or me, not understanding the physics of that mower. That design is not for a novice! the point I made earlier, turning on hills, turning in general without wheel marks. get off your high horse and understand the mower takes more skill and understanding than most! Have you even ridden a redesigned surfer? you sound like your foreman...nobody likes change, change is sometimes good...you cant run 97's forever. I get so pissed cause there are too many people that can't look at an idea from both sides. I apologize dually : (

mr mow
03-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Yes the s.s. has a presents switch in the grips. I dont think we are listening to each other. lol your defending the dane and so am I. The only ***** I had with you is witch was introduced first. LMFAO. Im Out....have a good season, no sarcasm intended.

aemoosh
03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Long live Wrights!

I talked to the President of Scag (their Headquarters are basically in my backyard and he personally attends the locale trade show my dealer hosts). Scag is planning on building a stander, he says it's no secret any more and only a mater of time before it comes out. The reason Scag makes the best Z's is because of their decks so I think the possibility of a Velocity deck on a stander is exciting- despite the fact that the Wright deck cuts at 99% of what a scag does.

The one sole reason the Wright is the best is because of their above the wheel patent. Someone's broken it down for me before about what exactly the patent is, but I don't quite remember. It has to do with the motor being so close to the wheels along with the user.

I've already bought a pair of Gator blades- my dealer says they're the best for fall and spring. Normal summer cutting, he said go with what came with the ZK- high lift blades. They're made out of an alloy gator doesn't make their blades with and said I could literally cleave through my gator blades by repeatedly striking them with the hi-lift blades. Plus, for mulching, I'll get better distribution of clippings with hi-lift.
Any time I am bagging or mulching more than summer grass (spring, fall, leaves, hi-grass), he said go Gator.

I'm lucky to have a locale dealer who, although a salesman, tells me what I need to know and knows what I need to know. He sells the best brands, and tells me what I need.

turfbuilder
03-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I am in Waukesha area. Who is the dealer and is that where your getting your Gators?
Thanks Turf:usflag:

DuallyVette
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Yes the s.s. has a presents switch in the grips. I dont think we are listening to each other. lol your defending the dane and so am I. The only ***** I had with you is witch was introduced first. LMFAO. Im Out....have a good season, no sarcasm intended.

I don't think that we speak the same language. I have operated the SS. I own a JD 657, which is the same machine, with a different deck. It would be hard to flip a SS, or my 657.

HenryB
03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't think that we speak the same language. I have operated the SS. I own a JD 657, which is the same machine, with a different deck. It would be hard to flip a SS, or my 657.

Did you ever move the platform back on your SS to improve traction and handling?

DuallyVette
03-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Did you ever move the platform back on your SS to improve traction and handling?

Great Dane made an extension w/springs that you can extend the standing platform. I added this to my JD657. You still don't stand far enough back, and then the pad that you lean on is too far away. I usually stand back on the edge of my origonal Surfer(Wright style). Going down a hill, I try to get my weight as far back as possible.

aemoosh
03-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Waldschmidt's Town and Country in Falls on Appleton.

They're great.

And they do sell Gators. :)

turfbuilder
03-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks aemoosh and you know what I was just there last Sat.

Looked at a 48 and 52 inch used Wright Standers

aemoosh
03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I was on the fence about a 61" DPI Turf Tiger so I was at T&C about two times a day all three days of MowerDays.

Did you pick up a wright?

stewartje
03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
I was able to get a 61" Great Dane Super Surfer for $900 off Craig's List. It has been an awesome machine. I have had one instance that I needed to bail off it as I was putting it on my trailer. I love the idea of jumping clear instead of being locked in with handles or a seatbelt (or both). I don't know that I would spend $2,400 different for any piece of equipment if it is the tool that I feel I could do the job with safety.

lifetree
03-17-2009, 09:04 PM
... D@MN, that's just about a whole mower. I mean, if a Stander is 7K is the Wright 35% better than the Dane ?

I'd probably buy the Dane depending on dealer support. WOW.

I'd have to agree, that's alot that really can't be justified for the difference in price !!

DuallyVette
03-17-2009, 09:20 PM
The Wright @ $7k is MSRP The Super Surfer MSRP is $6k ($ 5995) I don't see the $2400 dfference.

DuallyVette
03-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I just checked Wrights seasonal buying program chart. 52" 23 hp stander MSRP $ 7800. Cheapest Fall price. $6300. Spring 2009- a cold day in ...seek and ye shall find.

turfbuilder
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I guess it boils down what part of the country your in. Around here in SE WI Wright is at least $2000,00 more than a dane:usflag:

STIHL GUY
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
those are some nice looking stripes. good luck this season

turfbuilder
03-17-2009, 10:30 PM
I was on the fence about a 61" DPI Turf Tiger so I was at T&C about two times a day all three days of MowerDays.

Did you pick up a wright?

No I didn't they wanted $3950 for a 2003 with 2200 hrs.:usflag:

exmarkdude
03-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Is there an easy way to level the deck on a 2007 Super surfer and get the correct pitch?

rsp1961
03-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Nice information...I have a 61" Dane Surfer and it is a beast. I love it, but it does take some agility skills to handle it on a hill. It is appropriately named the "surfer"...also I have had same problem with blades and hoping the new "gator magnum mulching blades" are going to resolve this issue. I am interested in purchasing a 36" Wright stander though, but not wanting to pay retail. It does surprise me that there is such a price difference in retail cost. Good luck.

Green Finger
03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Once you go Wright, you'll never be wrong. LOL:laugh::laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Wasn't directed toward anyone.

rsp1961
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I just found out the Gator magnum blades I ordered are on back order, and since some of you operate the same mower as me (61" Dane SS) I was thinking of canceling order of blades for something else. Any ideas or experienced advice?

tallimeca
03-20-2009, 12:58 AM
the general opinion on lawn site is the wrights hold real steep hills better then the dane, but the dane cuts better.

Which equates to if the hill is that steep you shouldn't be on it with a heavy machine anyway........and second, if the cut isn't good, what's the point of holding the hill, haha.

Considering they use similar engines, pumps, motors, clutches, tires and are both made of steel........I wouldn't pay a dime more for the wright over the dane/everide/gravely.

mr mow
03-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Great Dane 52" super surfer stripes deck adjusted correctly, with gator high lifts. The date should be in the link. I like my safer(v.s. the original surfer) super surfer with safeties. Yes the decks are easy to adjust...atleast the floating decks, can't speak to the fixed decks(never had to adjust one). Don't like the gator magnums for my particular mower. Not here to get in a chevy v. dodge v. Ford arguement. I'm sure there are great stripes out there by a wright...but I'll save my(my own) money. p.s. there are way better stripes out there, this is just to show the stripe of a G.D. 52" ss. hope it helps.
I wish all the best of luck this season!

mr mow
03-20-2009, 01:27 AM
oops! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=246147

turfbuilder
03-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Mr.Mow Just looked at your pics from last year very impressive. Those look like some nice residential accounts. I pick up my new Great Dane Surfer Friday morning. Do you use the Gator Magnum High Lift blades on your S Surfer?
TURF :weightlifter::usflag:

mr mow
03-20-2009, 02:07 AM
I have two pair of gator high lift mulch blade, 1 set of magnum(gators), and 2 off brand gators. I would rather melt the off brands and sell them for scrap than use them! The magnums are my 3rd set...meaning, I like the gator mulch high lift (standards) the best! Magnums are hard to sharpen, and they don't seem to hold the edge as long. It very well could be i don't have the proper angle edge on them, but I have been sharpening blades on a bench grinder for along time..13-15yrs(local lco and my biz) and like to think i have a feel for the blade angle "I'm used to"---thats sort of the kicker. Dont know the angle, but i'm guessing 32-42 deg (thats a very workable degree). Hope that helps. I do it by feel and spark.

turfbuilder
03-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the info. I either sharpen my blades on a bench grinder or I'll use a right angle grinder. I think the standard angle is 30 deg. :usflag: