PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Stripe Kit, first custom mod!

dwost
03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Ok gents, here is my first mod on my new rig. I took the inspiration from MJR 63 and his recreation of the big league lawn setup. Mine is similar, however, has a few additional options. You can find his original post here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192602&highlight=boat+striper+kit

The big differences are heavier gauge brackets and larger superstrut bracing. I also gave it a quick coat of paint and built a hanging kit for it as well as a stop so it won't kick back to the wheels if elevated to a point where it will swing forward. I used 1/8" cable, ferrules, and the hitch receiver. My next enhancement will be a remote lift, stay tuned!! Here are the pics:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Mower/stripe_side2.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Mower/stripe_side.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Mower/stripe_rear2.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Mower/stripe_rear1.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Mower/stripe_cable2.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Mower/stripe_cable.jpg

fazzy815-66
03-13-2009, 08:13 PM
s w e e t !

dwost
03-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks! Forgot to add one in the raised position.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Anthrassat/Mower/stripe_rear_up.jpg

Kennedy Landscaping
03-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Looks awesome! Gotta see some pictures of them stripes too!

02DURAMAX
03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
nice!!!!!!

dwost
03-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys, yes I know I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing on some grass!! I'll definitely post up some pics of the results as well as some feedback on cut quality. I know there are many on here interested in how the BB's perform on northern grasses. I'll do my best to provide an accurate account of its performance. I'm putting down my Dimension tomorrow!! GROW BABY GROW!!!!

Grits
03-13-2009, 10:38 PM
How does it do when backing up? Seems like it would catapult? I would like to add one to my Hustler.

dwost
03-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Absolutely no idea........LOL I just stuck it on tonight! From what I've read/heard from several on here running this version or the actual BLL model it works quite well. The key is the independant wheels allowing both forward/reverse movement when turning. I added the cable so if I were to go over a crest or somewhere where the rear end of the mower would lift to a point where the unit could pivot back under the weels it will keep the unit from doing so. Should work fine but I'll post back once I give it a test run.

If anyone is interested in building one of these you can pick up the bunk rollers dirt cheap from these guys. They were great to deal with and very fast shipping! http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=530R-5PDF&eq=&Tp=

fiveoboy01
03-14-2009, 01:45 AM
FWIW, I put a nearly-identical striper on our ZTR last year.

I did have the pivot point mounted up on the frame(forward I mean) much further.

My concern is that you'll end up doing the same thing with that thing that I did with mine and that is while zero turning the whole thing deflects to the side and bends the two uprights.

Perhaps mine was too flimsy, I dunno..... I think the steel I used was just as thick as yours but maybe yours will work better.

For the few minutes mine did work, it did stripe very well.

dwost
03-14-2009, 08:16 AM

I did have the pivot point mounted up on the frame(forward I mean) much further.

My concern is that you'll end up doing the same thing with that thing that I did with mine and that is while zero turning the whole thing deflects to the side and bends the two uprights.

Perhaps mine was too flimsy, I dunno..... I think the steel I used was just as thick as yours but maybe yours will work better.

hmmmmmm that is good to know. It's supposed to warm up here today so I may give it a test run. If it looks as if there is any binding at all I'll lengthen the arms. Thanks again for the feedback!

french's lawn care
03-14-2009, 10:53 AM
here is a you tube video using your striper kit your rich lol looks like it works well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSAJRdxzAeQ&NR=1

riverwalklandscaping
03-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Looks like the two rubber mounts under the back of your mower are attaching two pieces of metal that are just bolted together in the middle so how do they help with absorption.. or am I just looking at it wrong

riverwalklandscaping
03-14-2009, 10:58 AM
here is a you tube video using your striper kit you rich lol looks like it works well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSAJRdxzAeQ&NR=1

haha I thought I was the only one who does the twice in one direction once back method when I am bored

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd7o7FLFwsU&NR=1 just noticed this after watching yours.. pretty funny

dwost
03-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Looks like the two rubber mounts under the back of your mower are attaching two pieces of metal that are just bolted together in the middle so how do they help with absorption.. or am I just looking at it wrong

You are not seeing the whole design. I'll try to snap some shot looking at it from the front. They are independent pieces of steel bolted to that cross member that are each fitted with the rubber dampeners. It works quite well!

I also made an adjustment today per the recommendation about it needing to be at a 45. I gave it a test run and it was bouncing around a bit so I added a bracket to drop the mounting point down about 4" it now sits further back and has much better ground contact.

mdlwn1
03-15-2009, 11:02 PM
"I'm putting down my Dimension tomorrow!! GROW BABY GROW"........I'm concerned that your actually serious!

South Florida Lawns
03-15-2009, 11:11 PM
bet you can't wait to cut some grass with that. Those mowers are not very common in Florida I don't know why tho.

dwost
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
"I'm putting down my Dimension tomorrow!! GROW BABY GROW"........I'm concerned that your actually serious!

Lesco was closed so no-go till next week :)

aplusjon
03-17-2009, 06:17 PM
hey the stripe kit looks awesome it should make good stripes

2brothersyardcare
03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
nice bad boy

Cutter1
03-24-2009, 02:37 PM
why not just hang chain links??

dwost
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Thought about it........and may still make one if this doesn't work. I've had great results with a roller that I built for my WB, however, with the minimal clearance between the deck and rear wheels on this unit I figured this would be a good alternative. Not to mention the good feedback and results with the official BLL setup. To be honest, I'm really not wild about either setup (chain or BLL) as having something hanging off the back can lend itself to getting caught. If this isn't up to spec, I may bolt a thick flap to the back of the deck and be done with it. I'll post up pics of the result as we get into cutting season.

Cutter1
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
I have seen pics on lawnsite of someone who hung chains links that bairly drug on the ground, seemed to work good.....might have been the late ericelm.

dwost
03-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I have seen pics on lawnsite of someone who hung chains links that bairly drug on the ground, seemed to work good.....might have been the late ericelm.

They work great no doubt about it. I just don't like something hanging off the back of my mower. We'll see, this roller setup may change my mind.

Doc66
04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Dwost,

Very nicely done. Someday I'll get around to painting my striper to match my mower. How are the stripes coming out?

dwost
05-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey Doc, I saw your pics of your setup, looks great!! I've actually modified it a bit more. I dropped it even further down (mounting points) and further behind the wheels. It works much better and when I raise it, it now fits totally under the back of my mower. I also added hitch pins w/clips to attach it to the frame. I can easily pull it off now as it's not bolted down. The stripes look great, I'm hoping to cut in the next day or so and will post up some results. I'm finally cutting close to my usual 3.5" so they are getting more defined with every cut. I'll have to snap some pics.

Doc66
05-02-2009, 07:59 AM
That's the beauty of building your own... tweaking it until you get it the way you want it.

dwost
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Here are some recent pics with a few changes. I did need to move it further forward and wanted a quick disconnect option. I found two perfect mounting points on the bottom of the frame, installed two "L" Superstrut brackets, hitch pins, a couple washers and I'm all set. It now will come off in about 20 seconds. Works much better and now sits further forward so when it's in the raised position it is less prone to hanging up on anything that may be in the way. So far so good!!

dwost
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Couple shots from earlier today cut at 3". I didn't realize it but I have a large smudge on the lower right half of the lens causing some blurring but you get the idea. So far I'm extremely impressed with the cut of this mower.
:clapping:

menges21
05-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Absolutley gourgeous

hvphotog
05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Very nice... can also get rollers at Gander Mtn i think.. www.westmarine.com too

dwost
05-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys, yes you can get them various places but I have yet to find them as cheap as I did at Trailer Parts Warehouse. $4.58 each http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=530R-5PDF&eq=&Tp=

STIHL GUY
05-05-2009, 11:41 PM
sweet!! looks nice

hvphotog
05-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Will be making on myself this weekend :-)

Doc66
05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Nice Job Dwost.

Looks like those mods are working out great for you. 4.58 is a good price for the wheels. I got mine at easternmarine.com last year. They were more than that, but the cheapest I could find them at the time.

Doc66
05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
For those who want to build their own striper, this should give you an idea. I used pvc pipe instead of washers for the spacers and drilled a hole in the end of the rod for cotter pins instead of end caps.

dwost
06-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Thought I'd post up some pics from this afternoon. The grass is finally growing at our new office and this is only the second cut. The grass was extremely tall (12" or so) and I cut it down to 3". I've been experimenting with different blade setups and I think running the Dixie Chopper solid foil high lifts are so far my favorite next to the stock fusions. That is what I used today. I tried running doubles this past week on my yard with the Dixies and gators but the results were less than desirable. I think there was way too much turbulence under the deck and I had a bunch of stringers. It also pulled down the kawi when pushing it hard up hill. I may try doubles with my stock blades and see if that helps. For now, enjoy the stripes!! Pardon the appearance on a few of them as they are a bit crooked and the quality could be better as I snapped them on my iPhone. This mower impresses me more and more every time I'm on it. :walking:

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Not sure, but I think it works:dizzy:

brucec
06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
What do you do in that office?

eatonpcat
06-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Wow... Are you calling that outcome less than desirable??

Looks great to me

dwost
06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Bruce, We own an education publishing company. We produce a web based weekly current events newspaper for individuals with special needs. We also have developed an online curriculum for this community as well. You can check us out here: www.n2yinc.com

Eaton, Yeah, it works.....I think he was being facetious? Or maybe not his cup of tea! lol

eatonpcat
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Bruce, We own an education publishing company. We produce a web based weekly current events newspaper for individuals with special needs. We also have developed an online curriculum for this community as well. You can check us out here: www.n2yinc.com

Eaton, Yeah, it works.....I think he was being facetious? Or maybe not his cup of tea! lol

OOPS Dwost... I misread your post... I understood the Prez was being sarcastic. I thought you didn't like the outcome (must read the whole paragraph before opening my big mouth).

Sounds like a your business is doing a great service for people with special needs .

dwost
06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
OOPS Dwost... I misread your post... I understood the Prez was being sarcastic. I thought you didn't like the outcome (must read the whole paragraph before opening my big mouth).

Sounds like a your business is doing a great service for people with special needs .

Lol, no worries. I was talking about the blade setups I've been playing with. The striping, however, is NOT an issue!

Doc66
06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Exactly what to expect from that setup. Keep up the good work!

Glenn Lawn Care
06-15-2009, 10:05 PM
sweet. my buddy put a wench on his ztr to lift his dethatcher up and down in the spring, and i thought that was a good idea.

dwost
06-16-2009, 07:45 AM
sweet. my buddy put a wench on his ztr to lift his dethatcher up and down in the spring, and i thought that was a good idea.

Post up some pics, I'd like to check that out!

retrodog
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for posting pics dwost, tons of people ask for striping pics on the bb, and are always asking how is bad boy mowers cut quality in northern grasses, and I actually have a good answer now. The pics will help push some of these northern guys over the fence that were calling me and asking about them. I felt retarted sending them pics of our "trash grass" around here, even a good bermuda yard or st augustine around here just shows faint striping (even with a striping kit). I can't stress enough at what a value the lightning is at $8000. I feel that the mower you are using has got to be the best valued mower under 8 grand in the entire industry. It is by far our best seller (and my favorite mower for the price.

bobcatguy96
06-16-2009, 08:39 PM
awesome...

youryardbarbourllc
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
i have read a lot from dwost which also made my decision in buying a bad boy. I have a 60inch Pup with a 30hp kohler. Here are some stripes from up north west NJ. Love the machine! After looking at bob cats and toros i am very happy with my choice.

No strip kit
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/cjbarbour19/0612091135.jpg

With same strip kit dwost made

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/cjbarbour19/0521091922.jpg

I will try to get some more this week

youryardbarbourllc
06-16-2009, 08:54 PM
sorry for the shitty cell phone pics

dwost
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Looking good barbour!! Glad I could help you out with your decision. I'm LOVING mine as well. I noticed you are in NJ, what part? You didn't happen to get yours at Histands in Doylestown PA did you?

demhustler
06-14-2010, 01:07 AM

hmmmmmm that is good to know. It's supposed to warm up here today so I may give it a test run. If it looks as if there is any binding at all I'll lengthen the arms. Thanks again for the feedback!

so, guys, did these problems presented themselves? how this been solved or what the good ways to solve it?
p.s. btw, i just have simple rubber plate between wheels on hustler and exmark

dwost
06-14-2010, 07:42 AM
so, guys, did these problems presented themselves? how this been solved or what the good ways to solve it?
p.s. btw, i just have simple rubber plate between wheels on hustler and exmark

Yup, I fixed mine by switching out the arms for shorter, thicker steel. It now sits only about 2" from the rear wheels. No issues at all. I had a rubber flap on my Gravely WB that worked good but switched to a deck mounted roller and it made a huge difference. I've really enjoyed this BLL knock off as well, it does a great job!

mtmower
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I know this is an old post but had to ask. Nice idea. How many $s do you think you had in the build? Have you had any problems with clearance in the back? I'm thinking about ditches and such that would raise the front of the mower pinching the stripper between the ground and the frame of the mower with the stripper in up or down position?

Another idea I had was putting a cable system to your unit that would then attach to the deck or deck lifting mech. so when the deck is raised the stripper would raise as well. This would allow for turning the stripper on and off in a sense when turning at the ends of your runs or when in transportation mode.

dwost
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Hey MTM, I've been runnig it problem free since the initial build. I did switch out the brackets to bring it closer to the rear wheels but have had no issues at all with it jacknifing or getting pinched by the wheels. Total build cost was around $130. Majority of the cost are the boat rollers. Definitely would recommend this setup.
Posted via Mobile Device