PDA

View Full Version : got a call today

dingybigfoot
03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Already been getting calls this week for estimates.
Got a call today from a guy asking me if we were hiring.
Ive never had that happen before. Any of you guys experience this?

ALC-GregH
03-13-2009, 08:18 PM
how long have you been in business?

4curbappeal
03-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Almost daily! Kinda catches you off gaurd the first time!

dingybigfoot
03-13-2009, 08:20 PM
this is going to be my sophomore year.

dingybigfoot
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
yeah, it totally caught me off guard.

jsw2008
03-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I get about 1 per week now. I got my first about a year ago. It really surprised me the first time it happened, but now it just tell them I'm not hiring thanks for calling.

Columbia Care
03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I got a call like that. What caught me off guard was that the guy identified himself as currently being in the military stationed in AZ. He would be discharged in April and was looking for work in the lawn care business when he got home. The call was very professional, but I am a solo operations and did not need any help.

kaferhaus
03-13-2009, 08:56 PM
We get several a week and have for years. Mostly college kids and in the summer we get a couple a day from high school kids (which we don't hire unless they're over 16 and can work full time)

Lately we've gotten a few from guys and gals that have lost their jobs due to the economy. We don't hire them either because as soon as anything else opens up they're gone.... and who could blame them?

I have 9 year round employees, all but 1 have been with me for over 3yrs. Starting in late spring we add 6 more until late fall. They mostly get trimmer, edger and blower duty along with mulch change outs. The permanent guys run the mowers during those months and do everything the rest of the year.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-13-2009, 09:03 PM
I have been getting alot of estimate calls but none for hiring lol

SCAG POWER
03-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Use to get them all the time until i took of my signs on my truck. If it was not are you highering now it was loan me money for gas. WTF do i look like a bank.Heck they have even been working for other companies and pull up beside me and call the cell and ask for work.I send them to the big guys around town and most of the time they say that they have worked there before and now they want 15 bucks an hour, yea rite not here, even if i could pay it I would not mim wage just like every one else.

fazzy815-66
03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
get them all the time...i think its cause i'm listed in the yellow pages...even had calls from other employers saying they were checking so and sos references (i never hired them) lol!

kaferhaus
03-13-2009, 09:15 PM
even if i could pay it I would not mim wage just like every one else

Minimum wage? damn. McDonalds and Burger King are paying 8.00 an hour for zero experience brain dead zombies here.

A few of my guys are making 15 an hour. None is making less than 10.00 except the "summer help" and I start them at $8.50.

lifetree
03-13-2009, 10:09 PM
I've gotten some calls like that and I just explain thaty I'm a solo operation and keep looking !!

Sweet Tater
03-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Already been getting calls this week for estimates.
Got a call today from a guy asking me if we were hiring.
Ive never had that happen before. Any of you guys experience this?

this is now my 3rd year in Business and it started last fall, had 2 young men stop while I was mowing and ask me if I was hiring, then this year I have had a few calls, and actually ended up stopping at the employment office and getting 2 boys for day labor. so far that has been the best move I've made.

Some one else said it throws you off the first time it happens, it does, but it also made me feel really good, its hard to explain but it was kinda saying "your doing something right and your biz is growing" :drinkup:

kellroy
03-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Got several this week ! same as last year , hope for more est calls:cool2:

4.3mudder
03-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I would not get get calls, I would get mexican guys come up to me "hey man you got work for me" sorry man, I don't. That is when I'm out on a job somewhere

MikeKle
03-14-2009, 08:16 PM
The first year I was in the yellow pages we got tons of employment calls. We still do and at all times of the year. With this economy it will only get worse.