PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out ... again

crshaw08
03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
10 years as a carpenter and 10 years as a Network Administrator and I have always enjoyed working in the yard. I will be laid off in 2 weeks from a big brown delivery company as the local IT guy and needing to prepare to find a source of income....so here I go.

I currently have a 36" walk behind Snapper, backpack blower and weed eater. That's it. (And a gas can or two). Three kids and married for twelve years.....I'm excited and ready.

I need clients, a trailer, a push mower, a truck and some more tools. Here I go...stay tuned.

MumCity Landscaping LLC
03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Good Luck!!!:clapping:

DLAWNS
03-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Good luck to you and welcome to the site. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

atasteofnature
03-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Welcome and have fun!!!

albhb3
03-14-2009, 02:32 AM
no lowballing...... pppppppppllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaassssssssssssseeeeeeeeee

crshaw08
03-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys!

sancho_man_orlando
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm going the opposite direction.

I quit my job as a network engineer to run a real estate business (Real Estate BUST took that one under) so I started lawn & landscape business and have been doing so for 3 years now.

Over the last months have watched my customer list dwindle to a point where it's not keeping me happy.

I strongly believe it will be a rough year ahead and I think my family deserves some stability.

Recently interviewed for a $70k network engineer position and I think I'm going to take it. I really enjoy working for myself, being outside but I think this is the best move for me.

Insurance, paid vacation and $70K a year, I'm in!

crshaw08
03-29-2009, 04:52 PM
That is interesting that you went from IT to lawn and now back to IT. I am like you in the sense that being outdoors and working for myself is attractive but will miss the benefits and stability that come with working for an already established business.

What do you think is some of the most popular reasons your customer base decreased? Economy? Competition? Let me know so I can maybe bypass some the more common problems.

Thanks for the comment Sancho, it's nice to see some of these back stories!

zz4guy
04-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm going the opposite direction.

I quit my job as a network engineer to run a real estate business (Real Estate BUST took that one under) so I started lawn & landscape business and have been doing so for 3 years now.

Over the last months have watched my customer list dwindle to a point where it's not keeping me happy.

I strongly believe it will be a rough year ahead and I think my family deserves some stability.

Recently interviewed for a $70k network engineer position and I think I'm going to take it. I really enjoy working for myself, being outside but I think this is the best move for me.

Insurance, paid vacation and $70K a year, I'm in!

You could always keep it going on the side. It's a good suplemental income. Especially when the axes come again at the cube farm. I'm an engineer but cube life sucks after 45hrs a week and all the other BS with it.

Total Grounds Maintenance
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
You could always keep it going on the side. It's a good supplemental income. Especially when the axes come again at the cube farm. I'm an engineer but cube life sucks after 45hrs a week and all the other BS with it.

I too am in IT. I lost my job as a desktop analyst 5 months ago. I worked for a good solid company, never any layoffs (accept for when they look for excuses to fire people) and a killer benefits package. I have been doing the lawn and landscape thing for awhile but I have recently went back to work doing the same type of IT job and I HATE IT!!!!! It really sucks sitting in a cube all day getting call after call how this doesn't work or how that is broke. Whine whine whine all day long. Worst is I work in the corporate office and support all the big guys and it has to get fixed NOW. Here is my deal I would rather work till 7pm everynight in the sweltering 95 degree heat laying block and cutting lawns rather than deal with the "is today going to be my day" mentality. I am tired of letting other people control my career and life. Sitting there all day looking at that damn clock, tick tock tick tock makes me ill thinking about it. PLUS I have ADHD! imagine that working in a cell environment all day having to deal with hyperactivity disorder LOL..... I would rather make 35k a year cutting lawns than 70k doing a suit and tie BS cube farm gig! I do however have a wife who supports me and has all the benies (we worked together at the same place) Think long and hard about your decision. A layoff is not a good motivator to start a business. The will to WANT to do it and the ability to directly benefit yourself is. Hope this made sense,

Good luck