PDA

View Full Version : How does a gear drive mower work/handle

Dodge2
03-14-2009, 12:57 AM
See I'm wondering about buying a smaller WAM like a 32-36 size, and I was wondering on how a gear drive one works, like does it handle like a snowblower or like a manual car. Any help would be great, and a video of one would be better(seeing is beliveing). Thanks

CFB
03-14-2009, 01:05 AM
The machine is always going forward, you break with the right to turn right, break with the left to turn left. Both to stop. A thumb switch that you flip to release tension of both belts to neutral or park. To back up there is a sweet spot between full brake and no break that you just get a feel for that allows the machine to be able to be pulled back. Can be very tiresome backing up a lot, but most that have gear learn to live with a little more trimming and don't back up much. 5 speeds that I just left in the same gear all the time.

Richard Martin
03-14-2009, 05:55 AM
You don't normally shift. You pick your gear (1 thru 5), put it in gear, let the clutches out and go. Most mowers have a reverse assist that helps you pull the mower back. I've been using gear drives forever and they're not nearly as bad as a lot of people here at Lawnsite make them out to be.

dishboy
03-14-2009, 09:35 AM
You don't normally shift. You pick your gear (1 thru 5), put it in gear, let the clutches out and go. Most mowers have a reverse assist that helps you pull the mower back. I've been using gear drives forever and they're not nearly as bad as a lot of people here at Lawnsite make them out to be.

Richard is right. My belt drive are lighter/ simpler and takes a lot less hand pressure pullihg against the springs than my Exmark tthp did. Reverse is nice if you have a lot of of small sections or need to use a sulkey.The belts sticking to the pulleys after they get rained is on a pia but I think a floating deck is more important than drive if you have to choose due to finances.

CLARK LAWN
03-14-2009, 11:15 AM
check out the toro "t-bar" they are gear drive but they dont work like pistol grip. they are very easy to use.

Dodge2
03-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Can you change gears while your moving?

stevenf
03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I used my belt drive for the first time yesterday. I noticed that its VERY tiring at first because you try to steer it like a push mower. I found myself tugging and pulling rather then braking with each hand. It got better later in the day but I think the only way it will be easy is if I get a sulky and im always positioned behind the handles.

lawnpro724
03-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Toro T-Bar is the only way to go if your running a belt driven mower. Very Easy.

RLS24
03-14-2009, 06:04 PM
My 48" is very easy to handle. When I got it last year, it took a couple solid days of mowing to get the stripes nice and straight and get the hang of how it responds to the controls and whatnot...but its a very simple machine to use. just make sure you take care of the that gearbox, especially if its a Peerless!!

jlawnman
03-14-2009, 06:39 PM
If your using a sulky, best have a hydro... The 5 speed will tear up in a few short years if you put too much stress on it... It will last a LOT longer if you just put it in one gear and go. Yep... get used to a lot more trimming and don't back up... I take at least two laps around the whole area and then commense with the striping. That way you don't have to turn as sharp leaving way fewer torn spots in the lawn... I used to have a hydro 48 with a velke... That is a lot of mower for not a lot of money...

ed2hess
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Can you change gears while your moving?

Yes you can but eventually it will tear up the gear box.....no need to do that really.

coxslawncare
03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Only belt drive I have ever used is a toro tbar and it is simple and effortless other than backing up. It has R but it is easier just to pull it the little bit that needs to be done.