PDA

View Full Version : How efficent are the stand on mowers?

AA+ landscaping
03-14-2009, 02:26 AM
I was thinking about buying the new Toro Grandstand mower and I want to know if it is more efficient than the same size walk behind. In general are stand-on mowers faster and more efficient than walk behinds?

mr mow
03-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Thats a very good question! I think once you get above 48"...yes. My first argument until I read vs a walk behind was they take up less space on the trailer. I think speed is a big factor in open areas..the faster the more efficient, assuming max speed can be achieved in a quality way. On the otherside of the coin is cost. A big walkbehind with a velky/sulky is probably cheaper....do many makers make big walkbehind anymore though, i.e. 52"+ or maybe I should say 49"+?

mr mow
03-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Yes, in general they have bigger motors and bigger hydro pumps

jbell36
03-14-2009, 05:36 PM
i would say yes standers are much more efficient than walk-behinds...and actually if you were to get one of the grandstands with the fleet discount you are spending about 6400 where a walk-behind is about 6100 (without discount)...

Nick808
03-14-2009, 08:04 PM
In general a stander is going to be faster then a walk behind. (unless an operator is willing to jog behind a machine a max speed all day.)

But, depending on your properties and what you are cutting a stander cant do certain things a walk behind can do.

For example. if you have any really steep hills to cut. I have much more control over a walk behind to keep it on the slope.

If you do commercial properties with many small islands in the parking lot. I find it quicker and easier to muscle the deck in the air and hop up.

Or skinny strips with curbs on either side wide enough for a pass and a half with a 48" and a row of trees going down the middle, you can muscle the deck up, ride a wheel on the curb while the other runs over the tree circle.

Im sure alot of people can think of other ways a walk behind has benefits over a stander.

delphied
03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I have what I consider the best WB made. An Exmark TTHP 48 with a Proslide. I will be replacing it with a new Grandstand if this summer is as good as last year was. A WB just cant hold a candle to a Stander or Grandstand. The great feature of the Grandstand is being able to use it as a WB in really weird places. The Turboforce deck is pretty good too. I believe the days of WB mowers are coming to a close with this new Grandstand. I will bet that Exmark has one out next year.