PDA

View Full Version : Swivel wheel sulky on belt drive WB

stevenf
03-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Looking to get a Sulky for my Scag WB. I read that swivel wheel is not recommended for belt drives. The non swivle wheel sulkys seem like the wb handles would jab your hips when you make a sharo turn.
Whats your take on swivel wheel belt drives?

dwost
03-14-2009, 09:23 AM
When I had my WB I used jungle wheels on it without issue. I only weigh about 180 so if you are a bigger gent it may give you some trouble on turns but should pull you without issue on the straights. I switched it out for a Proslide which was MUCH better from a comfort standpoint. It also helped to lay some killer stripes. What size engine do you have? I ran mine on a 48" w/15 kawi.

4curbappeal
03-14-2009, 10:43 AM
When I had my WB I used jungle wheels on it without issue. I only weigh about 180 so if you are a bigger gent it may give you some trouble on turns but should pull you without issue on the straights. I switched it out for a Proslide which was MUCH better from a comfort standpoint. It also helped to lay some killer stripes. What size engine do you have? I ran mine on a 48" w/15 kawi.

Jungle Wheels are a trailering sulky and will be fine! The swivel model that you are refering to is not a good idea with belt/gear driven mowers.

stevenf
03-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I have a 36" 16hp kaw. Will the swivel cause more belt slipingor what?

Runner
03-14-2009, 02:27 PM
It causes more slippage and all in all, much less production. as soon as that mower slows down from having to swing you around, it slows the whole operation down. It may seem like just a short time, but add it up over every day you are mowing, and you would be surprised how many hours you will be spending just standing there slowly turning. And if this isn't bad enough,...just wait until you get into damp conditions where those belts get a little wet. they may not even turn you at all. This is not to MENTION all the excess belt wear from the slippage to begin with. Like was stated above, a trailering sulky is the way to go. As far as the "being hit in the hips" thing, that doesn't really happen, because you sort of bend a little bit when turning. This sort of contributes a bit to the lean you do - even on a solid mount. The solid mount sulkies with swiveling casters really only shine with hydro driven wb's, not only besause of the pulling power, but the ability to reverse. With a belt/gear driven, this is not that big of an issue, because you usually just jump off in the few cases you need to back up, anyway.
Oh,...one other thing. Make SURE you go with two wheels. It floats twice as light, pulls with less resistance (less sinking), and the platforms have much more of the room NEEDED for you feet and to be able to shift your feet once in a while to transfer weight. Riding with your feet in the same exact position for any amount of time is not only uncomfortable and fatiguing, but it is also just flat out bad for your joints and ligaments.

topsites
03-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I've pretty much always used single wheel velkies.

lawnpro724
03-14-2009, 04:45 PM
The Toro Tru Trak sulky I use on my Toro belt drive 48" has swivel castors and the belts last about a year with normal use. The sulky is attached to the mower so when the mower turns so does the sulky. I have never had any problems using this sulky and the belts are being replaced once a year which is when the should be.